Thread: ZA icon not showing on task bar next to system clock.

Angry ZA icon not showing on task bar next to system clock.

The ZA icon is not showing on the task bar when ZA is running. I don't know if this is a ZA issue or a Windows Issue. It is not a major problem since I can start the Monitor by clicking on the icon on the desktop. However, I lost the ability to snooze ZA for 5 minutes when I need to. Is there a way to snooze ZA from the Monitor or is there a way to get the ZA icon to show up again on the task bar?

I am running ZA Pro version 11.0.000.057.

Thanks.

Default Re: ZA icon not showing on task bar next to system clock.

Hello;

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software and what version of Windows OS you have?

1.) if you installed ZA Pro on Windows Vista or Windows 7 ?
    both of these OS may hide Tray Icons by default, look for a tiny Up arrow on the system tray to the left of the clock and hover your mouse over that up arrow, this will allow you to enable the display of the ZA Icon if it is in the list of Icons..

2.) if this is Windows XP then the missing Tray Icon may indicate a corrupted ZA Pro install..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thanks GeorgeV.
    I turned off the antivirus (ESET), downloaded ZA Pro, reinstalled and still get the same results.
    I am on Win XP/Sp3, fully patched.

Any other hints?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by edelweissguy View Post
    Thanks GeorgeV.
    I turned off the antivirus (ESET), downloaded ZA Pro, reinstalled and still get the same results.
    I am on Win XP/Sp3, fully patched.

Any other hints?

Thanks.
    Hello;

Try this safe clean up proceedure..

Follow these instructions Below to clean your computer of the old version and any conflicting 3rd party Security programs, then install a clean new copy of the current supported version of ZA 11.0.000.054

The instruction for a clean install are below

1. Download the latest version http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...download-b.htm
    <== click here

2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs)

3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

4. Clean your system and registry with the Free Ccleaner.exe
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim <= click here

5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, <= click here
    now reboot computer after running ZA Removal tool.

6. Now Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings,
    and Do Not Restore Saved Settings from the old install.

Let us know how you have managed to resolve the issue. It will help other users with the same problem.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 27th, 2013 at 06:14 AM.
    GeorgeV

Smile Re: ZA icon not showing on task bar next to system clock.

Hi GeorgeV.

Re-install did not solve the problem. I did some research and it seems that this is caused by some timing problem when booting up where some software, such as ZA in this case, gets loaded before explorer.exe is fully active. Therefore, explorer.exe does not display ZA in the task bar even if it is loaded and active.

The work around I found is to let the bootup sequence fully complete before selecting a user profile. Then all icons are present in the task bar.

However, it would be much simpler if ZA would provide the options via the Monitor screen to Suspend all Internet activity and to Snooze Firewall for 5 minutes. Then we would not need the ZA icon on the task bar at all.

Hope this help.

Angry Re: ZA icon not showing on task bar next to system clock.

Quote Originally Posted by edelweissguy View Post
    Hi GeorgeV.

Re-install did not solve the problem. I did some research and it seems that this is caused by some timing problem when booting up where some software, such as ZA in this case, gets loaded before explorer.exe is fully active. Therefore, explorer.exe does not display ZA in the task bar even if it is loaded and active.

The work around I found is to let the bootup sequence fully complete before selecting a user profile. Then all icons are present in the task bar.

However, it would be much simpler if ZA would provide the options via the Monitor screen to Suspend all Internet activity and to Snooze Firewall for 5 minutes. Then we would not need the ZA icon on the task bar at all.

Hope this help.
    "Computers are Expensive pieces of equipment. For the same reasons that you lock your home and car (to keep others out), you need to have some type of latest version of a Firewall & Antivirus protection on your computer. There is an Arms race out there between Malware producers and Antivirus software producers. and the War Escalates Hourly.

Remaining unprotected even for the short period of time it takes to Boot up your computer and manually start ZoneAlarm is a sure-fire way to become collateral damage in this war with Hackers and Malware.

The cost to prevent this and protect yourself is much less than the cost of replacing your computer and restoring your identity."

I strongly Advise you to Keep "Load ZoneAlarm at Startup" checked, unless you are Uninstalling ZoneAlarm..

If you can't run ZA at bootup then it is Better that you find an alternatively Firewall that you can keep always active.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 30th, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
    GeorgeV

SaltyOldDog Guest

GeorgeV,

I should be grateful if you would explain why you considered my input to be 'off topic' and deleted it. I had exactly the same issue as the OP, read the input relating to a timing issue with explore.exe, found an alternative solution (use Task Manager to close and restart explorer.exe) and reported that this successfully restored the ZA icon to the taskbar. How is that 'off topic'???

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyOldDog View Post
    GeorgeV,

I should be grateful if you would explain why you considered my input to be 'off topic' and deleted it.

Why am I accused of something called "Hi-Jacking" somebody's else's request for Help.

What does that term mean?

If you have a question or a problem Please start your own thread..

Sticky: How to Create Your own New Thread? <== click here

As a matter of Courtesy and to provide the Best solution to each Users problem, the Guideline Rules, ask each User to Please start their own thread.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; November 17th, 2013 at 05:32 AM.
    GeorgeV

Thread Information