Thread: Zone Alarm Free Won't Recognize Virtual Machine!

Exclamation Zone Alarm Free Won't Recognize Virtual Machine!

Hello ZA Forum Users!

I've set up my laptop to have an XP Mode VM on it along with my default installation of Win 7 Ultimate.

I need this VM to run some old, expensive CAD software on my laptop that is incompatible with Win 7/8.

My problem is that I need to have network access to a file/print/key server on my network that has the encrypted key generator on it. The VM does not have ZA installed.

The problem I'm having is that other network computers, particularly the key server, that do have ZA installed, do not recognize the VM on my laptop. I can see the VM in "My Network Places" on the server, but I can't add it to one of the Trusted Zones in ZA on that computer (or on any other computer on the network for that matter.)

This key server configuration works fine for several non-VM computers on the network (it has been for years,) I just can't seem to get ZA to recognize the laptop VM regardless of what I do.

As a recap this is what I'm trying to do:

Connect laptop with "XP Mode" VM NOT protected with ZA to network server protected with ZA. Server ZA will not recognize the laptop VM.

Any help or tips that you can give me is GREATLY appreciated.

Best regards...

Tony
    Last edited by tmarini; April 1st, 2013 at 11:25 AM.

Default Re: Zone Alarm Free Won't Recognize Virtual Machine!

ZoneAlarm is not designed or supported on any server machine or server type of software.

ZA was designed for individual home PC's, and not servers or PC's running any type of server application.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Exclamation Re: Zone Alarm Free Won't Recognize Virtual Machine!

I guess I misspoke regarding my "server." It s a plain vanilla computer running XP Pro that has 4 printers physically connected to it, all shared as network printers. It also has a physical security key for the CAD program connected to the physical printer port. There is no server software involved...my semantics were just screwy because I use that machine as a "server" to the others on the network for the printer and the security authorization.

So, having said this, I still have the same problem in the original post...except there's no real servers or server software involved! Sorry for the confusion.

Tony

Hi!

as far as I know ZA does not support any VM setup (MS or others). This is probably why you are experiencing the problems.

See this sticky thread:
    WIN 7 Virtual Machine (XPMode)

It could have been useful to use the search function at the top of the forum board. It could have saved you some days in finding the answer.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Sharing the 4 printers over your LAN will work with ZA. But for that odd security device (printer dongle) for some Cad software thats way to specialized and this is not your everyday ordinary PC that you find out there.

If its this printer dongle device that you cant share or use over your network with ZA then Id suggest just using the Windows firewall on this PC or find another security program that will work with this super specialized hardware device over your LAN.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information