Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading ZA versions, no custom install --> By design

Default Upgrading ZA versions, no custom install --> By design

Trying to upgrade my ZA free version however the option to select custom install is missing.

I can only select "QUICK INSTALL", but I want to verify the individual settings, specially to make sure the toolbar and changes to home page are not happeing.

Bug? Any ideas?

zonealarm.png

Default Re: Custom install missing - 11.000.504

Tried also with the full installer that you find here?
    Looking for the latest version?

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Not sure what kind of installer you are using but this is what I get with the latest ZAfree version Webinstaller. As you will see the "custom" is clearly visible.

With the upgrade your current setting will be kept. This is likely why you don't see custom as ZA is already installed. If you do not want to take a risk then remove first your current ZA and then install the latest

Relax, sit back, don't panic and enjoy the new version
    Last edited by fax; April 26th, 2013 at 01:37 AM. Reason: removed screenshot - reduce size of thread

infinite15 Guest

I'm having the same issue. I'll try a clean install and report back if that works.

no need of custom install, it will take your former settings as you have ZA already installed.

ezrider714 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rsuaver View Post
    Trying to upgrade my ZA free version however the option to select custom install is missing.

I can only select "QUICK INSTALL", but I want to verify the individual settings, specially to make sure the toolbar and changes to home page are not happeing.

Bug? Any ideas?
    Have all the same thoughts....
    Stopped the install at that screen, not just going to let who knows what happen....
    If this isn't fixed, I guess I will finally have to dump ol ZA
    Last edited by fax; April 26th, 2013 at 01:36 AM. Reason: removed screenshot - reduce size of thread

Quote Originally Posted by ezrider714 View Post
    Have all the same thoughts....
    Stopped the install at that screen, not just going to let who knows what happen....
    If this isn't fixed, I guess I will finally have to dump ol ZA
    There is no need of custom install, it will keep your former settings as you have ZA already installed.

I'm Not sure what kind of installer you are using but here is what I get with the latest ZAfree version 11.0.000.504 Webinstaller. As you will see the "custom" is clearly visible.

With this upgrade your current setting will be kept during the Quick install.

This is likely why you don't see custom as it see's that ZA is already installed. If you do not want to take a risk then first remove your current ZA and then install the latest ZA Free 11.0.000.504

Relax, sit back, don't panic and enjoy the new version

Default Zone Alarm Free Update

Hi

Hope someone can help. Did see one similar thread but several days old, seemed better to start afresh.

A screen shot zonealarm.jpg of the latest update zafwSetupWeb_110_000_504.exe is attached (I hope). This has a quick install option but no other options, no custom install of any sort.

From experience with previous updates, this is not safe to use. Generally, an unwanted toolbar is installed. Far worse, a trial of antivirus software is installed. This conflicts with existing antivirus software and simply produces a frozen PC. Much time messing about in safe mode to try to solve the problem.

I appreciate the possibility of completely removing Zone Alarm and installing fresh. Is that now the only way, if so, aren't updates pointless.

Did also read that settings would be maintained but that isn't the whole issue. It's the extras on top of settings that cause the problems.

As an incidental point, appreciate that spammers abound but Zone Alarm might want to look at their catchpa use and to an extent the facility for attachments. I had to call a neighbour to help post, they are not accessible to a percentage of the population.
    Last edited by fax; April 26th, 2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: removed screenshot - reduced size of thread

Default Re: Upgrading from previous ZA versions, no custom install - 11 build 504 --> By desi

What you describe (antivirus version instead of firewall) can only happen if you install the antivirus version and not the firewall version. The installer of the ZA free cannot install the AV since the files required are not there at all (see size of files). Just ensure you use the right installer. The rest has already been said before. No need of opening a new thread.

For the link to the latest installers just search this board, they were posted at least three times in the last few days.

Thanks

Default Re: Upgrading from previous ZA versions, no custom install - 11 build 504 --> By desi

Hi

Thanks very much for talking the time to reply.

Unfortunately, the versions linked in the threads you mentioned will only let you install if you agree to change the default search provider and browser home page, which to be honest not many people will want to do. Neither can I know what comes next, presumably toolbars without being declared.

I know Zone Alarm Free is exactly that, free, they are entitled to do what they wish but is there nowhere you can download a file to just install in a rational way. If they want to dispose of free users, wouldn't it just be easier to openly state that, rather than making life awkward via underhand methods.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information