Thread: [Solved] How to stop ZoneAlarm alerts from accepting keystrokes?

Question [Solved] How to stop ZoneAlarm alerts from accepting keystrokes?

Have searched the forum and found two posts reporting the same problem. Unfortunately, neither of them - one from 2004 and the other from 2008 - was ever resolved.

This issue is as follows:
    1. When a ZoneAlarm alert pops up, it takes focus.
    2. Aside from clicking on the "Allow" or "Deny" button, it is possible to respond to the alert by pressing "A" or "D," respectively.
    3. If the user is already typing something at the time (e.g.in an email, text editor or web page) and the letter "A" or "D" happens to be the key that he presses when the alert is present, that keystroke - intended for whatever he was typing - gets used as the response to the alert, possibly allowing a program to access the Internet when the user would have denied that access.

Contrary to what the responder in the 2004 thread said, this DOES happen and it is NOT true that the user "can't simply continue writing (keyboard bleeps) and A and D keys will do nothing." No amount of denial is going to change the fact that this DOES occur.

Short of never typing on the computer while ZoneAlarm is running, what can users do to prevent this from occuring? Is there a setting, somewhere, to have the alerts NOT accept keyboard input - only very specific mouse clicks directly on the buttons? If not, there should AT LEAST be such an option, although the idea of having a security program do something so insecure is SO counter-intuitive that ZoneAlarm SHOULD make it a high priority to get rid of keyboard responses in alerts entirely.

Thank you.

Default Re: How to stop ZoneAlarm alerts from accepting keystrokes?

Hi!

there is one post every year. Just use TweakUI to have the window sent to the background. This way you will not allow or deny by mistake (this is from 2011).

Explanations here:
    https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/showthread.php/77078-Inadvertently-Allowing-or-Denying-access

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; May 6th, 2013 at 02:01 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: How to stop ZoneAlarm alerts from accepting keystrokes?

Just tested this and ZA DOES NOT respond if you hit the A or D key for the alert that just popped up

We know 100% its not a bug and is working fine.

This is a one off issue with your PC and not a general issue or bug in the software.

If it were we would have 3 million + users complaining of this issue.

And you don't see that on the forum hundred or thousands of complaints.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thumbs down Re: How to stop ZoneAlarm alerts from accepting keystrokes?

Solved the problem. Only had ZoneAlarm so I'd have the same thing my clients use. Since they had the same problem and *I* was able to duplicate it, I reported the problem here. Since previous messages in this forum AND the responses I received consistently denied the problem rather than attempting any true solution, I solved the problem by ending my ten-year support of ZoneAlarm and installing ~snip~ another Firewall product, instead. As I make my rounds to my clients, I will be switching them over, as well.

Good bye.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; May 10th, 2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: removed competing product name

Thread Information