Thread: Reboot without seeking permission

Default Reboot without seeking permission

Zone Alarm found some malware on my computer, and failed to inform me that it was going to reboot and allow me to save files that I had not yet had a chance to. I have always been asked/warned previously. I lost some screen shots that I was taking, any advice on how I can prevent this from occurring again would be really great.

Default Re: Reboot without seeking permission

Quote Originally Posted by Amity Wells View Post
    Zone Alarm found some malware on my computer, and failed to inform me that it was going to reboot and allow me to save files that I had not yet had a chance to. I have always been asked/warned previously. I lost some screen shots that I was taking, any advice on how I can prevent this from occurring again would be really great.
    Hello,

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software and what Type and version Of Windows OS, Type and Version # of Zone Alarm What Type of Computer, that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Exact version of ZA used (right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> copy to clipboard --> paste it here - !).

If you need feedback from users here then you need to provide full details of your setup.

You should also specify if you are running other security tools, Microsoft defender, other free antivirus? Optimization tools? Defrag tools?

Is ZA installed on default location?
    Default settings?
    Is the first time you install ZA?
    Or have you used it for a long time?
    Malware problems recently? Crashes? Hangs?

NOTE: The More information you provide (especially on ad-hoc setup as compared to standard installs) more likely other users here will be able to help.

As Guru GeorgeV suggested.Need to provide as much information as possible.

You could try this.

Make sure your on most current version :

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view

Possible corrupt Database for not being prompt.Tools > Preferences > Reset to Defaults.Reboot.Do not restore old settings.

You can also set not to have automatic treatment enabled.Antivirus & Anti-spyware > Settings > Advance Settings > Scan Options > Untick Enable automatic treatment.

To treat a file manually:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in.../scan_wtd.html
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; May 25th, 2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Rephrase, typo

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Soldiers View Post
    As Guru GeorgeV suggested.Need to provide as much information as possible.

You could try this.

Make sure your on most current version :

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view

Possible corrupt Database for not being prompt.Tools > Preferences > Reset to Defaults.Reboot.Do not restore old settings.

You can also set not to have automatic treatment enabled.Antivirus & Anti-spyware > Settings > Advance Settings > Scan Options > Untick Enable automatic treatment.

To treat a file manually:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in.../scan_wtd.html

Thank you. I am unable to find the "Antivirus & Anti-spyware" Can you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you. I am unable to find the "Antivirus & Anti-spyware" Can you please point me in the right direction?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amity Wells
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV
    Hello,
    The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

Exact version of ZA used (right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> copy to clipboard --> paste it here - !).
    I understand the difficulty in diagnosing issues without all the information, as I moderate a game forum. When I was posting, I was more annoyed about the fact that I'd lost some of my work and didn't think to provide more.

Zone Alarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 11.0.000.057
    Vsmon version: 11.0.000.057
    Driver version: 11.0.000.026
    Antivirus engine version: 8.2.11.97
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1100123520 <= out of Date
    Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.393.22
    My OS is Win 7.
    Anything else?

Hello Amity;

Thank you for the additional information that you provided..

since you have the FREE Firewall Installed, I have moved your post to the Zone Alarm Free Firewall discussion area..

Several things that I noticed is that
    1.) Zone Alarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 11.0.000.057
    the Current ZA Free + AV version is 11.0.000.504

2.) Current Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1119453600

3.) do you have any other 3rd party Antivirus programs installed?

Note: There are a few Differences in the GUI Menu display from the Paid ZA Firewall.

Last edited by GeorgeV; May 26th, 2013 at 04:58 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

On the Screenshot provided by Guru GeorgeV.Click on Settings > Scan Options > Untick Enable automatic treatment.

Okay, so at least part of the problem was that I didn't have the most current version. I'm not sure how long it's been like that because I update regularly and it tells me the update is successful.

I now have the current version and have removed tick next to the automatic treatment

I now have the current version and have removed tick next to the automatic treatment
    Also, On your Antivirus signature DAT file version.There was a big gap.

Automatic Antivirus signature updates every 24 hours.But unlimited real-time manual updates that you can update yourself.

Okay, so at least part of the problem was that I didn't have the most current version. I'm not sure how long it's been like that because I update regularly and it tells me the update is successful.

And to answer to your initial question: ZA does always ask/warn the user that the advance cleaning procedure will cause reboot and always ask before rebooting. In your case, two likely scenario: 1) You did not read carefully the messages or 2) the malware itself cause a system crash/reboot while cleaning (it can happen).

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information