I'm using Windows XPSP2 and Avast 8.0.1489 anti virus free version.

I updated "ZoneAlarm Free" firewall last week. Was using an older version (zaSetup_91_007_002) but decided to take the plunge and update to the latest version of ZoneAlarm.

Details:
ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 11.0.000.504
Vsmon version: 11.0.000.504
Driver version: 11.0.000.504
Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.393.22

My settings (which are the default settings).

Public Zone=High
Trusted Zone= Med

I put my Network in Public Zone as I always do with ZoneAlarm. I use Firefox 17.0.1 browser and Opera 12.14 (a bare install with no add ons) and IE 7.0.5030.11 and can't connect with any of them.

When troubleshooting my problem with internet access, how I found out it was ZoneAlarm was that, I reduced "Public Zone" to "Med", and I got internet access. It happens intermittently, not all the time. And once it was after I stopped all internet activity and resumed it again that I couldn't connect (even after 15 minutes of trying). I had to reboot and then, I then I was able to get back online, even with Public on "high" again.

I checked the log and saw DNS activity blocked. I'm assuming it's packets being sent back and forth to my router but I really don't know much about that stuff. Just figuring what it might be.

I just checked: "more info" on one of the INCOMING blocks and this is what I got on the ZoneAlarm website:

"ZoneAlarm blocked traffic to port 13579 on your machine from port 6159 on a remote computer whose IP address is 192.168.1.1. This communication attempt may have been a port scan, or simply one of the millions of unsolicited commercial or network control messages that are routinely sent out over the Internet. Such unsolicited messages are often called Internet background noise."

Ok, and this is what I got from "more info" at ZA from an OUTGOING block:

"The ZoneAlarm firewall blocked an outgoing communication from your computer to port 13568 on a remote computer whose IP address is 192.168.1.1. This might have occurred because a program on your computer tried connect to the Internet before ZoneAlarm was fully started."

I have Verizon Fios and my router (192.168.1.1) is in my "Network" listing. I have it in "Public" but I've always had it in "Public" with "High" in "current settings".

I uninstalled ZA and rebooted and did a clean reinstall. Didn't fix it. I'm at my wits end. A few times I had to shut off the firewall altogether if I want to connect to the internet since, at times, even setting "Public" to "med" is still blocking access.

What do I do? Are these 2 above listings for port 13568 coming from and going to my router safe to "add to Zone"? (which I am assuming will allow this traffic)

Thanks for your help.