Thread: ZA free blocking access to internet intermittently

Default ZA free blocking access to internet intermittently

I'm using Windows XPSP2 and Avast 8.0.1489 anti virus free version.

I updated "ZoneAlarm Free" firewall last week. Was using an older version (zaSetup_91_007_002) but decided to take the plunge and update to the latest version of ZoneAlarm.

Details:
    ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 11.0.000.504
    Vsmon version: 11.0.000.504
    Driver version: 11.0.000.504
    Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.393.22

My settings (which are the default settings).

Public Zone=High
    Trusted Zone= Med

I put my Network in Public Zone as I always do with ZoneAlarm. I use Firefox 17.0.1 browser and Opera 12.14 (a bare install with no add ons) and IE 7.0.5030.11 and can't connect with any of them.

When troubleshooting my problem with internet access, how I found out it was ZoneAlarm was that, I reduced "Public Zone" to "Med", and I got internet access. It happens intermittently, not all the time. And once it was after I stopped all internet activity and resumed it again that I couldn't connect (even after 15 minutes of trying). I had to reboot and then, I then I was able to get back online, even with Public on "high" again.

I checked the log and saw DNS activity blocked. I'm assuming it's packets being sent back and forth to my router but I really don't know much about that stuff. Just figuring what it might be.

I just checked: "more info" on one of the INCOMING blocks and this is what I got on the ZoneAlarm website:

"ZoneAlarm blocked traffic to port 13579 on your machine from port 6159 on a remote computer whose IP address is 192.168.1.1. This communication attempt may have been a port scan, or simply one of the millions of unsolicited commercial or network control messages that are routinely sent out over the Internet. Such unsolicited messages are often called Internet background noise."

Ok, and this is what I got from "more info" at ZA from an OUTGOING block:

"The ZoneAlarm firewall blocked an outgoing communication from your computer to port 13568 on a remote computer whose IP address is 192.168.1.1. This might have occurred because a program on your computer tried connect to the Internet before ZoneAlarm was fully started."

I have Verizon Fios and my router (192.168.1.1) is in my "Network" listing. I have it in "Public" but I've always had it in "Public" with "High" in "current settings".

I uninstalled ZA and rebooted and did a clean reinstall. Didn't fix it. I'm at my wits end. A few times I had to shut off the firewall altogether if I want to connect to the internet since, at times, even setting "Public" to "med" is still blocking access.

What do I do? Are these 2 above listings for port 13568 coming from and going to my router safe to "add to Zone"? (which I am assuming will allow this traffic)

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: ZA free blocking access to internet intermittently

You're blocking your router 192.168.1.1 from understanding you are there and keep you connected or renew your PC IP. If it was an upgrade from previous version then remove everything, run the Clean.exe (ZA removal tool), install ZA with default settings. Keep your LAN as trusted or at least your router IP (= dhcp server).

Only after you see ZA is working do your custom settings and do not block your own hardware.

"I always had in public" = was always the wrong setting or a setting that can cause the problem you report in any ZA version including v. 9. Probably your previous version was broken.

Please note that XP SP2 is not supported by MS and can create problems to ZA. On top ZA is useless if run on such un trusted platform. At least update XP to SP3!

thanks,
    fax
    Last edited by fax; May 23rd, 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    You're blocking your router 192.168.1.1 from understanding you are there and keep you connected or renew your PC IP. If it was an upgrade from previous version then remove everything, run the Clean.exe (ZA removal tool), install ZA with default settings. Keep your LAN as trusted or at least your router IP (= dhcp server).

Only after you see ZA is working do your custom settings and do not block your own hardware.

"I always had in public" = was always the wrong setting or a setting that can cause the problem you report in any ZA version including v. 9. Probably your previous version was broken.

Please note that XP SP2 is not supported by MS and can create problems to ZA. On top ZA is useless if run on such un trusted platform. At least update XP to SP3!

thanks,
    fax
    Thanks for your reply fax. I'm not clear on what you are saying. As I said before, it wasn't an upgrade. I uninstalled the previous version and then installed the new version. (didn't know about the clean.exe tool at the time) And, after the new install of the new ZA, I didn't change any settings or block anything. It still is on default settings. So, are you saying that I should put my Network into the Trusted zone? I never did that before. Been using ZA for years (not just ZA 9) and I always put my network in the Public zone on "high" and never had a problem. Can't I simply do what I asked in the last line of the previous message? Add the blocked items in the log that are relating to: 192.168.1.1 (both incoming and outgoing) to the Zone? Wouldn't that solve the problem and also, would that be safe for me to do that? (since I don't know what is being sent back and forth.)

Thanks

Well, I have already answered. Either you add your LAN to the trusted zone or ensure your router IP is TRUSTED (likely this IP: 192.168.1.1). Otherwise you may experience connection problems. This is normal and by design. On default installs you should see a DHCP entry (again your router address) set as TRUSTED. if not add it.

But most importantly you need to update XP SP2 to SP3 with all patches and security updates. There has been thousands of fixes since SP2. Otherwise go back to ZA version 9, no use updating ZA on a untrusted platform. ZA will anyway not be able to protect you properly on such setup.

Thanks,
    Fax

Awesome! I got the answer to my questions:

1 -Is it safe to "add to Zone" the blocked router entries that are in the log viewer and also,
    2 - Wouldn't THAT fix my problem.

I found it in the ZoneAlarm Offline help section when I did a keyword search "Router". These "back and forths" with the router are called “heartbeat messages”. So, when you get cut off from the internet, you go to the log viewer and you select the most recent blocked message that has your router IP and you click: "add to Zone" and a widow comes up with your router IP and you name it (so you can identify it later) and click "OK" and now the IP is trusted.

What the heck, here’s a copy and past of the instructions from the help section:

Identifying the source of heartbeat messages (more secure)

This is the preferred solution because it will work whether your ISP uses NetBIOS or ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) to check your connection, and it allows you to maintain high security for the Internet Zone.

To identify the server your ISP uses to check your connection:

When your ISP disconnects you, click Alerts & Logs|Log Viewer.
    In the alerts list, find the alert that occurred at the time you were disconnected.
    In the Entry Detail area, note the Source DNS detected.

If you’re not able to identify the server this way, contact your ISP to determine which servers need access permission.
    After you have identified the server, add it to the Trusted Zone by right-clicking it and choose Add to Zone > Trusted.

Once you have determined the IP of the router then, yes, it is safe to put your router on the trusted zone. Of course, granted you have minimal security on the router. I.e. changed the default password to access the router with a complex alphanumeric password. If on wireless, your connection is protected by a password (complex alphanumeric password of more than 15 characters) and you use WPA2 encryption and that the WPS functionality in the WIFI router (if available) is turned OFF.

Thanks,
    Fax

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I'm using Windows XPSP2
    Important notice for users of Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Thread Information