Thread: tmp files in c: programeData\checkPoint\Zone Alarm

Default tmp files in c: programeData\checkPoint\Zone Alarm

there are 600mb of .tmp files that I cant delete and I cant see how to prevent more being created please help or my hard drive will be filled. running free version 11.0.000.504
    Last edited by Bakck Dog; June 9th, 2013 at 09:27 AM.

Default Re: tmp files in c: programeData\checkPoint\Zone Alarm

If your worried about the space used by a small 600mb temp file, then you must have a very old small computer with limited resources or maybe a Netbook with a small hard drive?

Sorry, you may be better off removing Zone Alarm Free and trying some other Free Firewall that may support older computers with limited resources?

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software and Windows Version & SP Update used that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:

Please Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version & SP Update used, Browser type and version, any other security tools installed and type of router or Internet connection used, Available Ram, size of Hard drive, available Free space?.
    How do you connect to the Internet: Phone Line, Cable Modem, Router, Wifi, Blue Tooth, Osmosis?

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

With the little information provided I can only think of a corruption of the ZA databases (where settings are stored). This is normally fixed by a reset. Go to ZA tool --> Preferences --> Reset to default --> reboot . Do no restore any previous settings.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 10th, 2013 at 09:31 AM.

There should be no tmp file in zonealarm folder. You probably mean tmp files in "data" folder within zonealarm folder. The format is like this "xDB8FD0.tmp".

Normally these are sign of ZA problems (e.g. crash or conflicts with other software installed on the system). If you have so many it means your ZA does not work correctly. Fully remove it and reinstall with default setting.

As ZAfree offer no official support you don't have much choice than removing ZA and look for something else, if the issue persist.

Thanks,

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tem files are indeed in data sub file, also there are XML, ldb and NDB files. I am running windows 7 professional on laptop and ultimate on desktop with all updates installed. By using a Linux distro live I can delete the files and ZA runs fine but generates more files. Is this just an example of lazy programming or can I change some settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Bakck Dog View Post
    tem files are indeed in data sub file, also there are XML, ldb and NDB files. I am running windows 7 professional on laptop and ultimate on desktop with all updates installed. By using a Linux distro live I can delete the files and ZA runs fine but generates more files. Is this just an example of lazy programming or can I change some settings?

Sorry, you may be better off removing Zone Alarm Free and trying some other Free Firewall..

ZAfree offer no official support you don't have much choice than removing ZA and look for something else, if the issue persist.

Aside from tmp, those files you mention are actually where settings are stored... removing them means breaking ZA. While for tmp I have already explained.

Rather then mess up where you don't know you should look for another firewall that works on your system.

Sorry,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; June 16th, 2013 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakck Dog View Post
    there are 600mb of .tmp files that I cant delete and I cant see how to prevent more being created please help or my hard drive will be filled. running free version 11.0.000.504
    I've found that ZoneAlarm Pro version: 11.0.000.054 components running in Win7 Home Premium abandon temporary files at each shut down. This behavior is not new for me with just this version.

For example “~DF5B1F1F27F35A3BBE” abandon by zatray.exe in C:\Users\Standard User\AppData\Local\Temp and “ZLT02920.TMP” abandon by vsmon.exe in C:\Windows\Temp.

My work-around for the above is to delete them daily using Windows Explorer.

In addition, there are multiple instances of files such as xDB1E39.tmp in C:\ProgramData\CheckPoint\ZoneAlarm\Data. I get a "File Access Denied" pop-up message when attempting to delete these from Windows Explorer, even if run with Administrator rights. My work-around for these is to monthly start Win7 in Safe Mode and then I can delete them using Windows Explorer.

yes, normal and the creation of some of them is by design. If you do not want to use explorer or the built in windows utility for cleaning temp files you can automatize the cleaning via the free ccleaner software.

What is not normal is the presence of xDB1E39.tmp files. This is an indication that ZA is crashing or having problems or the ZA database is corrupted (the ZA database contains also your configuration and settings). If you have many of them its not good.

Meanwhile we are at build 768. It would be good you move up also to see if the behaviour of xDB*****.tmp is improving.

Thanks,
    Fax

Some log entries you could see in ZoneAlarm Logs :

fwdb*.txt - This are only used by ZoneAlarm in some cases for troubleshooting.If they need them they ask for them when you contact technical support.You cannot remove these files.

fwpktlog.txt - Logs the actual packet filtering logs produced by ZoneAlarm and are archived here.Do not delete this files.This can be view in Notepad.

tvDebug.log - this is the log for ZoneAlarm processes monitoring itself. If you have problems, tech support will usually request this file.You cannot remove this file.

tvDebug.log Zip - When it archives.So it doesn’t become too large.Zip file can be deleted.

avupdate0 thru avupdate9 - Archives when Antivirus Updates.You cannot remove this files.

ZALog*.txt files - ZoneAlarm security software creates a log entry every time traffic is blocked, whether an alert is displayed or not.Log entries record the traffic source and destination, ports, protocols, and other details.Also can be viewed in Notepad.This file cannot be deleted.Also archives so it doesn’t become too large.Old archived ZALOG.txt files can be deleted.

xDB*.tmp - these are created when TrueVector (the firewall service itself) is not shut down properly (system crash, using quick shutdown features, etc).I haven't seen this in a very long time here.
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; July 3rd, 2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo, reword

Thread Information