Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] ZA 11.0.768 upgrading issue --> Remove fullly previous version

Default [SOLVED] ZA 11.0.768 upgrading issue --> Remove fullly previous version

Uninstalled 'zonealarm.com' as it conflicts with 'ZoneAlarm Do Not Track'. Click OK to restart.

OK

I've seen this and the ZA toolbar disabled when trying to launch Firefox in two different computers after installing ZA Security Suite last version:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 11.0.768.000
    Vsmon version: 11.0.768.000
    Driver version: 11.0.768.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.1.6
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1121825984
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971

Both winXP SP3, both had FF17 with ZA toolbar working fine before upgrading, in one I upgraded to FF22 just after installing new ZA and before trying FF.

Neither has the toolbar now. In Tools -> Manage Add-ons I saw ZoneAlarm Do Not Track 2.2.5.1213 active in both computers, but in the FF22 rig I uninstalled FF22 and returned to FF17 (before knowing that FF17 was having the same problem in the other rig), and now I have neither the toolbar nor DNT in the changing FF rig. The other with untouched FF17 still has DNT but not the toolbar.

In short, last ZA version causes installed FF to uninstall the ZA toolbar, and any FF version change deletes DNT too.

Please, which of these two elements (toolbar and DNT) if any are supposed to be compatible with FF, and how do you get it/them working stably? Does the FF version count?

PS: nothing from this affects IE8, whose ZA toolbar and DNT work fine.

Default Re: Uninstalled 'zonealarm.com' as it conflicts with 'ZoneAlarm Do Not Track'

Most probably ZA 11.0.768.000 is not compatible with FF22 as it was release just before FF22 was officially out. Instead of going back up to FF17 you should have tried FF21 to confirm that this is the issue.

If you don't get any feedback from other users here and you have a valid license please be sure to take contact with ZA official support and report the issue to them.

Edited thread title to better hint to the issue.

Thanks, Fax
    Last edited by fax; June 30th, 2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: tthread itle + info

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: FF22, ZA 11.0.768, 'Uninstalled 'zonealarm.com' conflicts with 'ZA Do Not Track"

Well, is DNT any useful without the toolbar anyway? Is it doing its work in the background? (is it supposed to do it even if the toolbar isn't appearing nor is listed among the FF add-ons, I mean?). I'd like to know this to know if FF + DNT + no Toolbar (rig with untouched FF17) is superior or equal to FF + no DNT + no Toolbar (rig that saw FF22).

I've got recent system partition backups of both systems so I can go back and redo things, or go back if something goes too bad.

I've got a theory about what has happened: with 'zonealarm.com' the initial FF message means the ZA toolbar, the DNT v2.2.5.1213 currently installed in FF is some months old and IE8 (that's free from problems) has DNT v2.2.8.508 after the ZA upgrade, so I assume v2.2.5.1213 is what was installed in my systems before upgrading ZA. I assume that FF found the new toolbar incompatible with the ancient DNT (that for some reason didn't update for FF) and "uninstalled" the toolbar (from FF, not from Windows). This left DNT partially orphan so it disappeared in the computer where I updated FF.

An independent Toolbar/DNT installer would be ideal (does it exist?), but I suppose that the whole ZA can be reinstalled with the same effect. This leaves me two options: uninstall DNT old version from FF if installed and relaunch the ZA installer, or restore a system partition backup and redo the ZA upgrade but uninstalling manually the old DNT and toolbar from FF beforewards.

I'll try this and report back unless someone suggests anything better.

PS: I'll add FF21 to my sums, but the rig that hasn't seen FF22 does also have a problem (an ancient version of DNT and no ZA Toolbar in Firefox, IE fine).

Default Re: FF22, ZA 11.0.768, 'Uninstalled 'zonealarm.com' conflicts with 'ZA Do Not Track"

As far as I can see DNT may be active even if you see no sign on your browser. However, without the toolbar (that calls/controls it) it is useless. For the rest I am afraid only ZA staff at the official support may know the answers. Try with FF21 and you should have everything working as it should.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; June 30th, 2013 at 02:57 AM.

When you were using v11.0.000.038.Do Not Track had its own uninstaller.

Check windows XP control panel add/remove programs to make sure if it was ever removed/uninstall before updating.Just a thought.
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; June 30th, 2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: typo

indeed... and I guess you know that its best to install ZA only after you have installed FF21 and run it at least once. Otherwise, ZA may fail to find a FF installation.

JFYI, I installed the new version and use FF22. No compatibility issues so far. I allowed DNT to install but removed it afterwards because I don't want my default homepage to be changed and have an aversion towards toolbars in general. There are other ways to improve security while browsing (don't use java (remove it), use noscript + adblock plus, make sure browser and all necessary plugins are up-to-date).

Also, I wouldn't recommend to fall back to a prior version because the new version has some serious security fixes and malicious websites will make use of outdated versions.
    Last edited by Darklord666; June 30th, 2013 at 03:30 AM.

Good to know there is no compatibility issues with FF2. And true about using the latest version due to improvements in AV engine.

However, please note that here we are discussing about retail versions of ZA and therefore issues of changed homepage do not apply as these settings are customized at install. For the free version you need to "skip all" not install the toolbar and not having any changes to browsers.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thanks for all the info!

I'm now in the rig that hasn't seen FF22. My previous ZA version was 11.0.000.504 (in both computers). In the Add/remove programs list there's in fact an independent entry "ZoneAlarm Do Not Track Add-on 2.2.5.1213", and no entry for the IE version 2.2.8.508 (as can be seen in IE's manage add-ons, so I assume IE doesn't need an entry for this in Add/remove programs, hence the entry is for FF? PS: IE's DNT is included in the Add/remove programs entry despite versions).

In both rigs my default browser is IE8 and FF is used seldom (I have it mainly because some pages are starting to have issues with IE8 or vice-versa, I don't care). I had used FF17 in both and let it install something about ZA once or twice in each (if twice, possibly from two ZA upgrades; iirc there's been at least two ZA versions in a row whose maximum FF version was 17, and DNT v2.2.5.1213 is old enough to cover them). This time something has gone wrong.

I guess you know that its best to install ZA only after you have installed FF21 and run it at least once. Otherwise, ZA may fail to find a FF installation.
    I didn't know this!

So my plan now is:

- Remove DNT (v2.2.5.1213) from FF17. Exit FF17.
    - Remove DNT (v2.2.5.1213) from Windows XP.
    - Run FF17. From what I know just know it could catch the new toolbar and DNT, possibly generating a DNT v2.2.8.508 entry in the Add/remove programs list if needed (PS: nope). If both are taken, the FF upgrade would be somewhat optional.
    - Upgrade to FF22 and run it.
    - If neither FF17 nor FF22 cought both elements, reinstall ZA 11.0.768, in the hope that previously missing items are installed now with FF22 present and run.

-------------------------------------------------

Well, the plan worked, although practice is a bit different from theory. Uninstalling DNT from Windows XP possibly removed IE's DNT too (IE opened with an Abine farewell page, it wasn't in the IE list of add-ons, and the circle in the toolbar was stuck in a green "0"). The Add/remove programs applet got stuck and I had to reboot (I could via Windows w/o problems). Neither launching FF17 nor installing and launching FF22 made the ZA toolbar appear in FF (it never went from IE btw), so I reinstalled ZA 11.0.768. This installation wasn't smooth but I'm not sure about if some random error ocurred.

Seconds after the launch, XP suddenly went to the "turning off computer" screen and rebooted. At boot up installation went on and only then I saw the typical confirmation prompt ("if you're upgrading ZA click yes etc"). After some seconds an error message:

Installation encountered an error and cannot continue. You can try the installation again at a later time.

Error #1619: (retranslated from Spanish) Cannot open this installation package. Check that the package exists and that you have access to it, or contact the application maker to check that it's a valid Windows Installer package.

I double clicked the resume installation link placed in the desktop and this time all went smooth till the end.

--------------------------------------------------

The ZA Toolbar (whose add-on is in fact called "zonealarm.com" in FF's list of add-ons, current version is 1.6.0) / DNT architecture of the new ZA version seems a bit different. Now neither FF nor IE show DNT as independent add-on (although FF greeted me with a welcome page from Abine), and it isn't in the Add/remove programs list either, although both browsers have a working ZA toolbar now with a working DNT.

Problem solved in this rig. Applying the same solution to the other, that has seen FF22, returned to FF17, and lost DNT as FF add-on (but it's still in its Windows Add/remove programs with v2.2.5.1213 and in IE's add-ons list with v2.2.8.508). Things went totally smooth this time.

Problem solved then. Not sure about what is the conclusion. This has happened the same way in two different rigs, and has had the same solution in both with cosmetic differences: uninstall previous version of DNT from Windows XP manually. So it isn't random. Maybe having FF18, 19, 20, 21 or 22 installed beforewards would prevent the issue with a somewhat "tricky" mechanism: as the previous version of DNT wasn't supported by these newer versions of the browser, FF wouldn't "protect" the ancient DNT from the new ZA toolbar (recall that this was the exact sense of the initial FF message that titles the thread). If so, I think the ZA installer should remove the ancient DNT from Windows on its own, even if nearly all FF users use the latest versions and avoid the problem in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by factor View Post
    Thanks for all the info!

Not sure about what is the conclusion.
    Post # 5 took care of the issue when you removed the Do Not Track installer from add/remove programs.

https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...574#post297574

In versions 11.0.000.504 & 11.0.768.000 Do Not Track doesn't have it's own installer.
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; July 1st, 2013 at 05:57 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information