Thread: [SOLVED] ZA 11.0.768 upgrading issue --> Remove fullly previous version

Hybrid View

Default [SOLVED] ZA 11.0.768 upgrading issue --> Remove fullly previous version

Uninstalled 'zonealarm.com' as it conflicts with 'ZoneAlarm Do Not Track'. Click OK to restart.

OK

I've seen this and the ZA toolbar disabled when trying to launch Firefox in two different computers after installing ZA Security Suite last version:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 11.0.768.000
    Vsmon version: 11.0.768.000
    Driver version: 11.0.768.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.1.6
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1121825984
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971

Both winXP SP3, both had FF17 with ZA toolbar working fine before upgrading, in one I upgraded to FF22 just after installing new ZA and before trying FF.

Neither has the toolbar now. In Tools -> Manage Add-ons I saw ZoneAlarm Do Not Track 2.2.5.1213 active in both computers, but in the FF22 rig I uninstalled FF22 and returned to FF17 (before knowing that FF17 was having the same problem in the other rig), and now I have neither the toolbar nor DNT in the changing FF rig. The other with untouched FF17 still has DNT but not the toolbar.

In short, last ZA version causes installed FF to uninstall the ZA toolbar, and any FF version change deletes DNT too.

Please, which of these two elements (toolbar and DNT) if any are supposed to be compatible with FF, and how do you get it/them working stably? Does the FF version count?

PS: nothing from this affects IE8, whose ZA toolbar and DNT work fine.

Default Re: Uninstalled 'zonealarm.com' as it conflicts with 'ZoneAlarm Do Not Track'

Most probably ZA 11.0.768.000 is not compatible with FF22 as it was release just before FF22 was officially out. Instead of going back up to FF17 you should have tried FF21 to confirm that this is the issue.

If you don't get any feedback from other users here and you have a valid license please be sure to take contact with ZA official support and report the issue to them.

Edited thread title to better hint to the issue.

Thanks, Fax
    Last edited by fax; June 30th, 2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: tthread itle + info

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: FF22, ZA 11.0.768, 'Uninstalled 'zonealarm.com' conflicts with 'ZA Do Not Track"

Well, is DNT any useful without the toolbar anyway? Is it doing its work in the background? (is it supposed to do it even if the toolbar isn't appearing nor is listed among the FF add-ons, I mean?). I'd like to know this to know if FF + DNT + no Toolbar (rig with untouched FF17) is superior or equal to FF + no DNT + no Toolbar (rig that saw FF22).

I've got recent system partition backups of both systems so I can go back and redo things, or go back if something goes too bad.

I've got a theory about what has happened: with 'zonealarm.com' the initial FF message means the ZA toolbar, the DNT v2.2.5.1213 currently installed in FF is some months old and IE8 (that's free from problems) has DNT v2.2.8.508 after the ZA upgrade, so I assume v2.2.5.1213 is what was installed in my systems before upgrading ZA. I assume that FF found the new toolbar incompatible with the ancient DNT (that for some reason didn't update for FF) and "uninstalled" the toolbar (from FF, not from Windows). This left DNT partially orphan so it disappeared in the computer where I updated FF.

An independent Toolbar/DNT installer would be ideal (does it exist?), but I suppose that the whole ZA can be reinstalled with the same effect. This leaves me two options: uninstall DNT old version from FF if installed and relaunch the ZA installer, or restore a system partition backup and redo the ZA upgrade but uninstalling manually the old DNT and toolbar from FF beforewards.

I'll try this and report back unless someone suggests anything better.

PS: I'll add FF21 to my sums, but the rig that hasn't seen FF22 does also have a problem (an ancient version of DNT and no ZA Toolbar in Firefox, IE fine).

Default Re: FF22, ZA 11.0.768, 'Uninstalled 'zonealarm.com' conflicts with 'ZA Do Not Track"

As far as I can see DNT may be active even if you see no sign on your browser. However, without the toolbar (that calls/controls it) it is useless. For the rest I am afraid only ZA staff at the official support may know the answers. Try with FF21 and you should have everything working as it should.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; June 30th, 2013 at 02:57 AM.

When you were using v11.0.000.038.Do Not Track had its own uninstaller.

Check windows XP control panel add/remove programs to make sure if it was ever removed/uninstall before updating.Just a thought.
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; June 30th, 2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: typo

indeed... and I guess you know that its best to install ZA only after you have installed FF21 and run it at least once. Otherwise, ZA may fail to find a FF installation.

JFYI, I installed the new version and use FF22. No compatibility issues so far. I allowed DNT to install but removed it afterwards because I don't want my default homepage to be changed and have an aversion towards toolbars in general. There are other ways to improve security while browsing (don't use java (remove it), use noscript + adblock plus, make sure browser and all necessary plugins are up-to-date).

Also, I wouldn't recommend to fall back to a prior version because the new version has some serious security fixes and malicious websites will make use of outdated versions.
    Last edited by Darklord666; June 30th, 2013 at 03:30 AM.

Default Re: Uninstalled 'zonealarm.com' as it conflicts with 'ZoneAlarm Do Not Track'

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Most probably ZA 11.0.768.000 is not compatible with FF22 as it was release just before FF22 was officially out. Instead of going back up to FF17 you should have tried FF21 to confirm that this is the issue.

If you don't get any feedback from other users here and you have a valid license please be sure to take contact with ZA official support and report the issue to them.

Edited thread title to better hint to the issue.

Thanks, Fax

ZA 11.0.768.000 is 100% compatible with Firefox 22. there will not be any more incompatibilities becasue we removed all the old Forcefield technology out of ZA which was the cause of all the Firefox compatibility issues in the past.

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; July 1st, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information