Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zone Alarm Internet Security 2013 slowing down Internet

Default Re: Zone Alarm Internet Security 2013 slowing down Internet

Thank you very for taking the time to report about the web scanning. Please keep us updated if you find a solution with the technical support. Nice weekend to you too

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jimmarako Guest

Hi, i want to bump this thread up. I've been using ZA for probably 8 years now starting with the free version and upgrading to various paid version over time. My computer is a home built quad core I7 @3.8 GHZ, 16GB ram, WIN 7 SP1,.... I spent some time earlier in the year making sure my network connection (cable modem) was nice a clean. With an upgrade to a DOCSIS 3 modem several months ago my download speeds have been hovering around 22Mb/s consistently.

The other day ZA popped up a window and told me my version was out of date and no longer supported. Odd because I have auto updates on and always update. It should have been a 10.X.X version. I allowed the update and was upgraded to 11.0.768.000. Since then my download speed plummeted to ~1.5Mb/s. Several reboots, trying IE 10 and Chrome 28 same thing. Similar to the OP if I exited from ZA (just pausing it for 5 minutes didn't seem to work) my speeds bumped back up.

Since ZA 10 worked with my computer 2 days ago I'm not very inclined to do a clean install (that would literally take days with the ~40 different programs I have installed + updates). I could try killing programs but I do not think there is a conflict.

Unlike the OP I found that disabling the Web scanning feature worked for me. Well at least for the last 3 hours I've been testing. I just want to let people know that there may be an issue with the 768 update and to try the web scanning trick.

Does ZA have an email support or the such? The link provided to ZA support seems to be a live chat type setup which is fine but I tend to be available off hours and to be honest I imagine the script they will be following will include reboot, reinstall, etc.

Thanks
    JM
    Last edited by fax; August 9th, 2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Highlight the main relevant text

Yes, please report your findings to support. More reports more likely they will manage to find a pattern/origin to the problem. Support may ask to perform several steps. This is part of the troubleshooting before the issue is escalated to support and to clearly distinguish local issue from global ones.

Sorry there never been an e-mail to contact ZA. Only webforms. Even if offline you can still send messages via the web form. Better to work online, if possible.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; August 9th, 2013 at 01:46 AM.

Smile Re: Zone Alarm Internet Security 2013 slowing down Internet

Hello;

I agree with Guru Fax...

Checkpoint never had E-mail support for Zone Alarm to be contacted directly, they once had a "web form" that you could fill out , but it was very un-popular because exchange of information could take 3 to 7 days, and if Tech Support needed more information, that would take even longer to resolve a problem also some users never saw the reply from Tech support because it was tossed into their Junk mail folder or bounced by the users ISP.

Now: Support only uses LIVE CHAT now because it is a Live Text exchange of information and issues are normally resolved on the Spot.

(this service is Free to users with a Valid ZA License Key)
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 9th, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Between support and QA there is close to 100 windows system running and used for testing of version 768 with Web scanning.

Web Scanning is on be default on every single installation done in our lab and all customer PCs.

We experienced no slow down in internet speeds. This is something we check with every new release.

We have tens of thousands of 768 installs and when just a handful of people report an issue its not always a bug in the software. Especially when none of our support or QA lab test PC's have any such issue.

We call these one off issues and are related to your particular PC. Only advice is to do a regular uninstall, then run the clean utility. NEVER run the clean utility with out first running the regular uninstall.

IF that does not help then re-install the old version that worked on your particular PC if you have saved a copy of the old version.
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; August 9th, 2013 at 10:34 AM.
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Default Still have extremely slow internet with last two ZA Extreme versions.

First to the moderator; I know this isn't ZA Customer Support, I am only posting this for others that may have the same problem.

The last two versions of ZA Extreme Security (which have done away with ForceField and introduced Webscanner) have slowed down my internet connection to the point where I reverted to version 110.000.504. Under this previous version my internet speed returns to normal. With the new version load times for internet pages are taking almost 8 times as long to load.

I am going to speak with ZA customer service again about this issue.

Sorry, no use to keep posting about the same issue in multiple threads. Merged the different posts in one single discussion to avoid dispersion. An official response has already been given we can't really add more to this.

...and no, running an outdated version is not recommended as you are potentially exposed to undisclosed vulnerabilities and non optimal protection considering the many improvements been performed on the AV in the last few releases.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 7th, 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information