Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zonealarm/Firefox 22 interfering with "paste" function

Default Re: Zonealarm is interfering with "paste" function in Firefox browser

I myself am not experiencing this issue, but I know why it is happening.

You can do these things to most likely help:

1) Uninstall the ZoneAlarm service. I think on the new version it is called "ZoneAlarm Privacy Service" or something very similar, then reboot.

The key will be at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es

You can use Regedit to do this or if you're not comfortable with that, use the trial version of Dameware NT Utilities to delete the service instead.

(I always rid this anyhow and that's probably why I don't have the issue.)

2) Install the latest beta version of Firefox. It is currently 23 beta 3:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

Default Re: Zonealarm/Firefox interfering with "paste" function

No, it's not the privacy service. I would count on the ZA toolbar. Remove the toolbar and maybe the browser protection on startup (it impacts boot-up-time dramatically and I don't see a huge advantage in security).

To remove the privacy service (if necessary), I would recommend to deactivate the service instead of deleting registry values. This could cause trouble in the future.

~~snip~~
    Last edited by fax; July 6th, 2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: offtopic - reference to removed message

Come on dude. Leave good advice alone, especially if you aren't up to par with things.

The new ZA Privacy service is the old Toolbar service.

Completely removing it entirely has been tested here on 5 or 6 machines for many, many years and it is my advice to always remove it, then use good add-ons in Firefox instead like Trueblock Plus, Ghostery, BetterPrivacy, NoScript, HTTPSEverywhere and RefControl.

For those that want to do that on the latest beta, you should also install the latest Nightly Tester Tools and set it so that all of your add-ons will be made automatically compatible no matter what. Its setting is called "Force Addon Compatibility".
    Last edited by TorrentG; July 6th, 2013 at 02:55 PM.

It has nothing to do with removing only a portion of the ZA product, new or old. The paste function ONLY begins working properly when ZA is COMPLETELY uninstalled altogether.

That being said, it has become clear that this is a Firefox 22+ (still broken in 23 beta) issue and not a ZA one. While it's quite clear that having a ZA product installed breaks things in FF22+, installing an older version of ZA does not help, but installing an older FF does. That plainly points the finger at FF being the culprit.

@GeorgeV, you DO know that there are users outside of this forum, right? Just because you only know of the three posted here doesn't mean there are not others with the problem. I have seen a great number of people posting about it in several different places, and it IS widespread. Widespread enough in fact that Mozilla already have a fix in testing for it. Which in turn goes back to my point that it is in fact FF22+ that is causing the issue when ZA is also installed, not ZA causing an issue when FF22+ is installed.

My advice? Revert back to FF21 and wait for them to sort it.

It may not require complete removal.

In my case, I simply disabled the "ZoneAlarm Privacy Service" in Start -> Administrative Tools -> Services, then stopped the running instance.

And ctrl-c now works perfectly.

That part must have some other factor involved then, as I already had it (and previously ForceField) disabled before installing FF22.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSidewinder View Post
    It may not require complete removal.

In my case, I simply disabled the "ZoneAlarm Privacy Service" in Start -> Administrative Tools -> Services, then stopped the running instance.

And ctrl-c now works perfectly.

No no, for sure you can convert the may into surely.

What you've done has negated the service itself, which in retarded speak equals (and I'm being retarded myself here lol no offense) = same difference.

Quote Originally Posted by h0gw4rt View Post
    That part must have some other factor involved then, as I already had it (and previously ForceField) disabled before installing FF22.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to shift blame here but it's the scientific part of me that would like to ask about something:

Which plugins do you have installed to Firefox?

and also...

do you have any other type of security installed whatsoever (even if disabled - drivers are still running like that, so...)???

The issue is rather straightforward, If current ZA worked perfectly with FF21 and as soon as you install the new release (FF22) copy/paste its broken then its not very difficult to identify the culprit. FF is known to break compatibility at each new release and this does not unfortunately apply to ZA only.

Instead of blaming one or the other could you please try to leave this thread clean of pollution and focus on exactly which workaround you need to apply to run both together? They may be users interested to know. It is not clear yet to me.

Finally please be aware that removing/tampering manually ZA components is not supported and you will be left alone by official support (in case of other problems).

Thank you in advance for your understanding and support.

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Go to Mozilla Support and type in Search (copy/paste in Firefox 22).You'll see it's Firefox issue.

Here is another you can Search at Mozilla Support :

(Can't copy and paste from Firefox 22.0 anymore other than ctrl c & v)
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; July 7th, 2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: ctrl c & v

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information