Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.0.768.000 thru 12.0.104.000 breaks my VPN connections

Hybrid View

Default 11.0.768.000 thru 12.0.104.000 breaks my VPN connections

Hi,
    I upgraded to 11.0.768.000 (ZASS) on both WinXP and a Win7 machine.

After this upgrade, my VPN accesses using the Microsoft client did not work properly.

- with WinXP, I got a message telling me that the VPN servers could not be reached. This affected all my VPN servers (I have several servers in different locations), whch indicates that it could not be due to inaccessibility of one server...

- with Win7, some servers could be reached (those not requiring encrytion) but some other (requiring encryption) were immediately disconnected.

- using another client than that of Microsoft (a Cisco client) allowed to connect to those sites that accept this client, indicating that the problem was limited to the Microsoft client and that the servers could be reached...

Turning off ZASS did not solve the problem.

Un-installing it completely solved it...

Is 11.0.768.000 incompatible with the Microsoft VPN client and/or does it beak it ?
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; December 4th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.

Default Re: 11.0.768.000 breaks my VPN connections

Hello;

It seems that you have had continuing issues with VPN clients for several years? I remember that you changed VPN clients in a post back in Oct. 2012..

Hello;

This Zone Alarm Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with Zone Alarm and need to be guided in the right direction to answer Questions about Zone Alarm..

Sorry we can't answer that question, We are all user here, no ZA support staff monitor this Forum

It is essential that you report the issue directly to official ZA support at the link in my signature (look for the live chat icon at the main support web site). with a valid license you can contact Support, free of charge.

Please Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version & SP Update used, Browser type and version, any other security tools installed and type of router or Internet connection used.
    How do you connect to the Internet: Phone Line, Cable Modem, Router, Wifi, Blue Tooth,
    and how you can replicate the Issue with VPN and what version and type of VPN Clients used.

What are the errors exactly.

If no error codes it will be virtually impossible to Possibly fix.

The more users reporting to ZA more likely this will be looked at earlier than later.

Please Let us know what you find out from Tech Support. It will help other users with the same problem.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 19th, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thank you for your reply.

No, I did NOT have continuing problems with VPN access. I most often use the Microsoft client and it worked well. The problems i raised earlier were about the Cisco Client tha cause problems with ZA and Win7.

Here, it is different. Version 110.768.000 really broke the Microsoft Client on both WinXP and Win7 (different symptoms, however).

I can add the following: not only the Microsoft Client worked again after un-installing 110.768.000, but it works still fine after I re-installed the previous version (ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 11.0.000.504).

So, clearly, it is the change(s) made between version 768.000 and 000.504 that create a major problem for me.

~~snip~~

As you suggested, I'll report this to the official support.

Kind regards,
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 19th, 2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: small correction

There is a bug open with ZoneAlarm 11.0.768.000
    Where using the OS to make an L2TP connections (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol for VPN)

You will get an error 651 when I try to establish L2TP connection.

What are your errors exactly.

If no error codes it will be virtually impossible to Possibly fix.

Have you done any basic troubleshooting? If ZA is blocking the MS VPN client then there should be something in the ZA logs showing whats been blocked. In that case you can add those IPs to the trusted zone so there not blocked.

Since you indicated an upgrade there could be issues.
    Have you reset ZA to default setting (via the client) and run with that to see if there are still issues?
    Have you uninstalled ZA normally then downloaded the clean utility and ran that and then downloaded 11.0.768 full version installer and reinstall with default setting and not restoring and settings on backup in that Specific order?
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; July 19th, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

1. As I mentioned in my first post, the error is that the VPN site was said to be unaccessible. The error code was 800.

2. I have prepared a ZA log and have sent it to CheckPoint. I await their comments (since the log is in cab format, I cannot see what it contains).

3. I understand that there could be upgrade issues BUT this affected 3 (three) machines with different OS (WinXP and Win7). So, I guess the problem is more than upgrade issues related to one machine. If anything more than simple upgrade was needed, the installation program should have told us that. Also, reinstalling from scratch means reconfiguring all zones and permissions, which is quite long...

~~snip~~
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 19th, 2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: minor corrections

have you had any luck i have the same problem it is ZA that it doing it i did a clean install loaded all my drivers all working fine till i installed ZA 11.0.768.000 then nothing. Like you if you just stop ZA it still dont work only if you uninstall will the vpn work spoke to the help desk all they could suggest was uninstall **snip**
    Last edited by fax; July 28th, 2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: offtopic

Quote Originally Posted by ptulkens View Post
    Hi,
    I upgraded to 11.0.768.000 (ZASS) on both WinXP and a Win7 machine.

After this upgrade, my VPN accesses using the Microsoft client did not work properly.

- with WinXP, I got a message telling me that the VPN servers could not be reached. This affected all my VPN servers (I have several servers in different locations), whch indicates that it could not be due to inaccessibility of one server...

- with Win7, some servers could be reached (those not requiring encrytion) but some other (requiring encryption) were immediately disconnected.

- using another client than that of Microsoft (a Cisco client) allowed to connect to those sites that accept this client, indicating that the problem was limited to the Microsoft client and that the servers could be reached...

Turning off ZASS did not solve the problem.

Un-installing it completely solved it...

Is 11.0.768.000 incompatible with the Microsoft VPN client and/or does it beak it ?
    Ive had this problem since upgrading too but never twigged for a while that it was ZA that was the cause.
    In XP when I unticked Kaspersky Anti Virus NDIS Filter in Local Area Connection Properties, it started working.
    I wasn't happy with this workaround so I found another solution to my prob. Go to ZA Computer/advanced firewall/advanced settings put a tick where it says "Allow uncommon protocols at high security".
    All done!

Quote Originally Posted by rosspaul View Post
    Ive had this problem since upgrading too but never twigged for a while that it was ZA that was the cause.
    In XP when I unticked Kaspersky Anti Virus NDIS Filter in Local Area Connection Properties, it started working.
    I wasn't happy with this workaround so I found another solution to my prob. Go to ZA Computer/advanced firewall/advanced settings put a tick where it says "Allow uncommon protocols at high security".
    All done!
    Just tried what you suggested by ticking "Allow uncommon protocols at high security" but my VPN is still not working. I'm still getting the same error messages. My computer uses Windows XP Pro (SP3).

Rebooted the PC after the change? Is the box still ticked after reboot?

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by PK123 View Post
    Just tried what you suggested by ticking "Allow uncommon protocols at high security" but my VPN is still not working. I'm still getting the same error messages. My computer uses Windows XP Pro (SP3).
    Im also using XP Pro SP3 what about the NDIS workaround, have u tried that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information