Thread: Browser security changes after 11.0.768.000 upgrade?

Default Browser security changes after 11.0.768.000 upgrade?

I've just upgraded my ZoneAlarm Antivirus Pro from 11.0.000.504 to 11.0.768.000. I installed the new version without uninstalling the old one first and it offered to do an upgrade. I also chose to install the toolbar which I didn't have installed before as the release notes said it had been improved and I wanted to try it out.

The install seemed to work fine, but I'm concerned that the web security is no longer working. When I download a file from a web page, the ZoneAlarm downloader doesn't pop up like it used to, and the browser's normal downloader is used instead. there doesn't seem to be a browser security add-on in my browser any more, just "ZoneAlarm Security Toolbar" and "Zonealarm Helper Object". All this is true in both Internet Explorer 10 and Firefox 22. The only thing showing as active in the internet tab of ZoneAlarm itself is "Privacy Toolbar" and browser security has disappeared from the Help/About window.

Before upgrade:

ZoneAlarm with Antivirus version: 11.0.000.504
    ZoneAlarm license key: [removed]
    Vsmon version: 11.0.000.504
    Driver version: 11.0.000.026
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.0.18
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1122906336
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.393.22
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.2.104.0

After upgrade:

ZoneAlarm with Antivirus version: 11.0.768.000
    Vsmon version: 11.0.768.000
    Driver version: 11.0.764.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.1.6
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1117366656

Is this normal, or is there a problem with my web security?

Also, I still don't like the toolbar much. Is the toolbar necessary now or can I safely disable it? There doesn't seem to be an option to uninstall it seperately in control panel - can it be removed completely?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Browser security not working after 11.0.768.000 upgrade?

I would suggest to do clean install.ForceField technology was removed.Advanced Download Protection no longer in version.

Change Log/Release History :

http://sc1.checkpoint.com/sc1/za/rel...l#11.0.768.000

Remove ZoneAlarm from Uninstall a program.Reboot.Then run removal tool & run it as administrator :

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

Download latest versions :

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view

Always install ZoneAlarm under Administrator Account & in the root directory C:\ drive.

Have no other suggestions.If you have current valid license contact Live Chat :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; July 14th, 2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Typo, reword

Thanks. I did a clean reinstall using that procedure and chose not to install the toolbar this time. It doesn't seem to have made a difference.

ZoneAlarm with Antivirus version: 11.0.768.000
    Vsmon version: 11.0.768.000
    Driver version: 11.0.764.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.1.6
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1117366656

No mention of web security, no ZoneAlarm entries in "Manage add-ons" in IE, no ZoneAlarm extension in Firefox and no ZoneAlarm scanning of downloads in IE.

I see the following in the release notes:

•New: Web scanner - blocks web threats before they reach your browser or hard drive.
    •New: Forcefield removed, replaced with new and improved Site Check technology and security toolbar.

I'm not sure if this is a result of those changes or not. Can anyone running this latest version confirm whether they still have the web security component or not?

If you did removed old version & clean install ' without installing Toolbar '.You have no Toolbar in browsers.That simple.

Toolbar is install without issues here that I can see other than Site check not very refined.A little crude in my opinion.Toolbar icons very small also.

Under Manage add-ons.Two Add-ons in IE 10. ZoneAlarm Security Toolbar & ZoneAlarm Helper Object.

Have no other suggestions to offer.If you have current valid license contact Live Chat.You have the link.

Note : Web Scan works if Enable in AV Settings

Win 7x64
    IE 10
    ZoneAlarm with Antivirus version: 11.0.768.000 (Pro)
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; July 14th, 2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Typo. Web Scan

Thanks again. Please forgive my confusion.

In the previous version, the web security component worked without the toolbar. Is the toolbar now necessary in order for web security to function? I hope not as I find it ugly with all it's third-party icons.

Even when I did have the toolbar installed (in this new version) there seemed to be no browser security component like there was with the previous version. Should there be?

If you are running 11.0.768.000 with or without the toolbar, do you see a "ZoneAlarm Browser Security" entry in the help/about menu? Does ZoneAlarm Advanced Download Protection still work? These are both missing in mine now, even when the toolbar is installed and running.

I intend to ask these question in a support chat, but they are closed at the moment. For now I'm just trying to compare my system with somebody else running the same version.
    Last edited by Ant2012; July 14th, 2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Clarification

OK thanks, that's reassuring. I can see that web scanning is enabled in advanced options.

I was concerned when the Advanced Download Protection no longer seemed to be there, but I guess it's handled differently now? My Internet tab currently looks like this:

Internet tab.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ant2012 View Post
    Thanks again. Please forgive my confusion.

If you are running 11.0.768.000 with or without the toolbar, do you see a "ZoneAlarm Browser Security" entry in the help/about menu?

Sorry, forgot to answer.No entry in About with Toolbar installed.
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; July 14th, 2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Reword

Hello,

To answer your question, yes you will not see a web security module version number anymore.

We have taken out all the old browser security/privacy code we called 'Forcefield' and replaced it with new technology that has much less issues and also makes the client lighter (less PC resources and the download size is reduced)

We no longer call it Browser security, just Privacy toolbar within the software.

As with the previous version you were required to install the toobar to get all the browser protections so nothing has changed there.

Advanced download protection has been improved and integrated into our new AV engine. You will no longer see the additional pop-up messages as in previous versions. It all happens in the background just as long as you leave On-Access protection turned on in AV.

The toolbar has been redesigned to be more visually pleasing.

You still get Site check in the toolbar (Anti-phishing)

New added is Web Scan (Malicious website scanner) This is part of the new AV engine and is on by default.

Do Not Track is part of the toolbar also still.

So nothing was lost, but just improvements to browsing privacy.

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; July 16th, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thanks for the clarification, that all sounds great actually - the less intrusion the better!

I was just a little paranoid when the visual indications of web security I was used to disappeared. Good to know I'm just as protected as before.

Thread Information