Thread: ZA 11.0.768.000 listening on port 1234

Hybrid View

Default ZA 11.0.768.000 listening on port 1234

I have been trying to find what has been listening on 127.0.01 port 1234 and tonight I was surprised to track it down to the latest version of zone alarm. I am using paid Zone Alarm Pro with anti-virus. Uninstalling the latest version removes the listening on port 1234.

I am curious why the latest version of ZA would want to listen to port 1234. Operating system is windows 7 64 bit. I don't see a reason for an anti-virus to be listening for a connection.

Default Re: ZA 11.0.768.000 listening on port 1234

Sorry all users here. To contact the ZA official support you need to click in my signature and once at the main support site look for a "contact us". Technical support may know better or may not. I am afraid this is more a question that can be answered by the developers.

Just to explain to you, its normal for any software to listen to your computer. The IP you mention has nothing to do with Internet but it represent your computer (also called localhost) and many software do this for troubshooting or to work.

ZAPRO + AV (and any ZA product) contains also a firewall. For a firewall that needs to filter and inspect ALL communication incoming to your PC and outgoing from your PC it would be suprising to see otherwise. On the contrary, I am suprised you see only one port been monitored . Normally you should see vsmon.exe also listening to the internet as it is in betwen all communications. Also that port may be used as a proxy for the web filtering (AV web scanner). Sorry, the latter is just a wild guess!

Hope this helps as I cannot add more on the issue as, obviously I don't know how ZA is designed and works. And if you do not trust it then remove it instantly, ZA can be your first line of defense... if you do no trust your first line of defense then better to choose something you can use without any addittional stress.

Fax
    Last edited by fax; August 12th, 2013 at 04:21 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thanks for the reply.

Port 1234 has known issues. Before this version of zone alarm port 1234 was not open. The newest version is listening to the internet and it's through the system vs saying it's by vsmon. I have observed vsmon open and close connections during the course of an internet transaction. The port 1234, so far, has zero sent packets, zero sent bytes, zero rcvd packets, and zero rcvd bytes. I'm just hoping it's not a backdoor.

It took me awhile to identify ZA as the source so I'm not qualified to say what this is doing. It has a PID 4, listening on port 1234 and can not be killed. So far the only affected systems are 64 bit win 7 systems. I'll post an update when I do a 32 bit XP later.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCat View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Port 1234 has known issues. Before this version of zone alarm port 1234 was not open. The newest version is listening to the internet and it's through the system vs saying it's by vsmon. I have observed vsmon open and close connections during the course of an internet transaction. The port 1234, so far, has zero sent packets, zero sent bytes, zero rcvd packets, and zero rcvd bytes. I'm just hoping it's not a backdoor.
    Hello;

Please follow the Advice given by Guru Fax,

Here is additional Advice:

This Zone Alarm Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with Zone Alarm and need to be guided in the right direction to answer Questions about Zone Alarm..

Sorry if your not satisfied with advice given in this forum, you will need to check with the Official Tech Support directly about this issue, we are all users here
    . ZA staff does not monitor this board. Please contact Tech Support directly at the link in signature,
    it is Free for users with a Valid ZA License Key

Moreover if you have already contacted Tech Support and the advice they give you does not fix the problem,
    then it's important that you go back to them again to report the issue is not resolved, then provide additional info about your problem incuding log files if requested. Not here in this Forum.

NOTE: The More information about your Computer and Software installed and how to replicate your problem, and what steps that you have already tried will be helpful information , the more likely Tech Support will be able to understand the issue and try to help you.

Let us know how you have managed to resolve the issue. It will help other users with the same problem.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 12th, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

May be I was not clear, listening on localhost (127.0.0.1 - your PC) is not opening anything to the internet. The port therefore will result closed/stealth from the outside. Again if you think any software has a backdoor you should uninstalling instantly and find a software that you can trust.

Paranoia or undue concern is not useful, best you move to something you feel comfortable with as the suspicious of something will not go away even if provided with evidence of the contrary

You got the answer to your question.. I will close soon this thread as we cannot add more explanation to it.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information