Thread: Freezes with ZAfree + AV smart defense advisor enabled, in any program being opened

Default Freezes with ZAfree + AV smart defense advisor enabled, in any program being opened

So far in the last weeks and months i haven't been having much problems with the free internet security suite, but since a few days ago when i open some programs, randomly there is a 20 second freeze on the program (windows even say it's not responding but after 30-40 seconds it unfreezes and goes back to normal), after that if i close it and open again it opens instantly, but a few minutes later if i try opening again the same thing happens (probably when it's not on windows cache anymore) again. This is of course VERY annoying since it happens with almost any program, no matter how trusted i set it on zon alarm settings and seems to be random.

The ONLY thing i find on zonalarm to make this stop happening, besides shutdown zonealarm or disabling application control interely is completly turning off the defensenet slider, but of course i wouldn't want to completly disable this feature of the firewall... what can i do to fix this ? I already deinstalled and reinstalled the latest version, same thing happens.

EDIT : indeed this defensenet was indeed causing these problems, it's been hours i set this to OFF and EVERYTHING on the computer is a lot faster and there wasn't a single freeze yet of this kind, i really hope someone knows how to advice this since i wouldn't like having this setting permanently switched off since i read this reduces a lot the protetion the firewall has, but if someone can tell me exact how important this setting is despite having all other settings on, tell me
    Last edited by cesm; August 15th, 2013 at 10:51 PM.

Default Re: Constant freezes with ZASS smart defense advisor enabled, in any program being op

i've also been having these same problems as cesm since a few days ago. slow loading symptoms.

i've tried...
    - rebooting
    - clean installing ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall 11.0.768.000
    - i've also recently done a reformat of Windows 7 x64, so my system should be very clean

the only way to prevent this is by exiting ZA or disabling defensenet. is this caused by defensenet servers being down and causing delay in checking?

NOTE: disabling defensenet doesn't help prevent this problem when using "open with" on a file in windows explorer.
    Last edited by tsunamiz; August 16th, 2013 at 08:29 AM.

Default Re: Constant freezes with ZASS smart defense advisor enabled, in any program being op

Moved the thread to the correct section and revised title of the thread. You are using the free version not the ZA Security Suite

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Freezes with ZAfree + AV smart defense advisor enabled, in any program being open

Quote Originally Posted by cesm View Post
    what can i do to fix this ?
    There are no known issue with DefenseNet. Assuming your ZA has correct or non corrupted settings, that you are NOT using other security tools, that you are not infected by malware then you can check if you have any conflicts with other third party software installed on the system.

However, you do not specify the exact version of the Operating System used so I cannot be more specific.

Its important also to specify if you are running the latest version of ZA11.0.780.000. Also post the details. Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> copy to clipboard --> Paste it here.

Specify exactly if you tried to reset the ZA settings and how. If you tried to fully remove ZA and how. If you tried to reinstall ZA and how. Where did you download the installer? How do you connect to internet? Router? Modem? USB Stick? 3g Mobile connection? By whom the connection is managed? Native windows drivers? Third party drivers? Third party software? Etc.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; August 24th, 2013 at 10:01 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information