Thread: ZA Firewall and AVG Anti-Virus Issues?

Default ZA Firewall and AVG Anti-Virus Issues?

I have had issues with AVG most of this month. It keeps performing a non-scheduled 'command line scan" many, many times a day. It appears to have happened after the upgrade to version 2013. I've gone to the AVG forum, and the response is to disable/uninstall ZoneAlarm and use the Windows anti-virus. I have been using both of these products for many years now with no issues. I did upgrade to the latest version of ZoneAlarm this past week, and the issue disappeared for two days. However, it's back! Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any other suggestions besides uninstalling ZoneAlarm? Any help will be appreciated! Thank you!! I'm using Windows 8, IE 10
    Last edited by sharmar; August 31st, 2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: More Information

Angry Re: ZoneAlarm Free Firewall and AVG Free Anti-Virus Issues?

Hi!

When you upgraded, did you install the new Basic Free Firewall 11.0.780.000, or the Zone Alarm Free Firewall + Antivirus version?

could you please clarify the exact version of ZA used has this problem may appear in old versions of ZA but since April many things have changed.

Right Click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> Copy to Clipboard --> Paste it here as a response.

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZA Free +AV, ZASS and ZAES do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP/Win7/Win8 add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP/Win7/Win8 add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 31st, 2013 at 01:25 PM.

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free Firewall and AVG Free Anti-Virus Issues?

Quote Originally Posted by sharmar View Post
    I have had issues with AVG most of this month. It keeps performing a non-scheduled 'command line scan" many, many times a day. It appears to have happened after the upgrade to version 2013. I've gone to the AVG forum, and the response is to disable/uninstall ZoneAlarm and use the Windows anti-virus. I have been using both of these products for many years now with no issues. I did upgrade to the latest version of ZoneAlarm this past week, and the issue disappeared for two days. However, it's back! Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any other suggestions besides uninstalling ZoneAlarm? Any help will be appreciated! Thank you!! I'm using Windows 8, IE 10
    ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 11.0.780.000
    Vsmon version: 11.0.780.000
    Driver version: 11.0.764.000
    I am only using one firewall and one anti-virus product.

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free Firewall and AVG Free Anti-Virus Issues?

Looks like AVG does not want anymore ZA in the same PC, its not the first time. Last years they also broken the compatibility with ZA. Not sure if this is just you or more general issue, we haven't got any other complaining in here. This may point to a single user issue or not a wide issue. And not sure if there is a solution other than moving to another antivirus. Avast works very well with ZA otherwise ZA own antivirus is a very good alternative to forget about troubleshooting the AV at every update.

First of all you should exclude any bad or corrupted settings from the side of ZA. Go to ZA tools --> Preferences --> "Reset to defaults". Reboot the PC and DO NOT restore any previous settings. Now try to see if you still have problems. If no, then ZA was not set correctly. If yes, then follow what suggested below.

You may want to add all ZA related executable to the AVG exclusion list. This should include at least vsmon.exe, zatray.exe and ZAPrivacyService.exe.

Then double check that ZA application control is set to MAX then scroll ZA list of application and set any AVG related component to "SUPER" (three green bars) or "No Enforcement" (to disable any control on AVG related application). Then also ensure that all AVG components have all green ticks on inbound/outbound (internet/trusted).

Let us know how did it go!

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: ZA Firewall and AVG Anti-Virus Issues?

This issue is happening to many users. The response from AVG has been to disable ZA and use the Windows tool. I reset all of the setting back to default. At this point, I do not have an issue. However, after I rebooted after updating ZoneAlarm, I also did not have the problem for a day or two. So, I'll wait to see how everything is running through tomorrow. If there's still a problem, I'll try the next series of suggestions. Thank you so much for your help - I will get back to you with any results.

Default Re: ZA Firewall and AVG Anti-Virus Issues?

The issue is not happening to "many users".

We don't have many users posting about this on our forum recently as you have.

Of course the AVG forum is going to exaggerate the issue and steer you away from our software because AVG is a direct competitor of ZoneAlarm.

They are no longer just a free AV company they have competing firewall products too. So of course they rather just say remove ZA its the issue so they can market to you to buy there firewall.

As pointed out by Fax AVG may have had a change to there software which accidentally introduced a compatibility issue on a few PC's or just yours.

If AVG is not willing to step up and look at it seriously but just say remove ZA. You may want to think about that.

You don't see ZA telling you to "remove AVG its the issue here" do you?

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; September 3rd, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information