Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 2000 Professional Norton Antivirus 2006 which version of free Zone Alarm ?

askforgino Guest

Default Re: Windows 2000 Professional Norton Antivirus 2006 which version of free Zone Alarm to use?

Hi Bill:
    OK, I'll give it one more try. I'm going to do this on Sunday after I perform my normal weekly system maintenance.
    I currently have Norton's Worm Protection feature turned off so that's not an issue.
    I'll boot into Safe Mode, install Zone Alarm 6.5.737.000, and boot normally. I'm hoping that will do the trick.
    I will report back early next week with the results.
    On a different track: is there anyone I can contact to participate in the Zone Alarm beta? I wonder if that might solve my problem.
    Bill, I appreciate all your help. Thank you.

billc Guest

Default Re: Windows 2000 Professional Norton Antivirus 2006 which version of free Zone Alarm to use?

I too hope things work this time. About your Beta question, look here .

askforgino Guest

I deleted all traces of Zone Alarm from my machine. I rebooted and then
    installed ZA 6.5.737.000 in Safe Mode. I restarted the machine. I'm still getting long (10+ minutes) boot times. After much trial and error I removed everything from my Startup folder except Process Explorer. Now my machine seems to boot in a normal (45-60 seconds) amount of time most of the time. However if I add seemingly simple tasks (such as instances of Windows Explorer or Command Processors) to my Startup folder then the startup time jumps to 10+ minutes.
    This is extremely weird. However it seems stable enough that I'll work with this for the next couple of days.
    Bill, thank you for all your help.
    Edit: I also uninstalled iTunes from my system and removed Nvidia's nForce control panel from my Taskbar's notification area. Removing these seems to help.

Message Edited by AskForGino on 11-05-200609:49 PM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information