Thread: Windows 2000 Professional Norton Antivirus 2006 which version of free Zone Alarm ?

Hybrid View

askforgino Guest

Default Windows 2000 Professional Norton Antivirus 2006 which version of free Zone Alarm ?

Hi All:
    My message subject says it all. I'm running Windows 2000 Professional fully patched with all Windows Critical Updates applied. I'm also running
    Norton Antivirus 2006 - the plain vanilla Antivirus program - not
    Norton's suite.
    Which version of
    free Zone Alarm should I run? Are the most current versions (e.g. 6.5.xxx) recommended or should I fall back to an older (e.g. 6.1.xxx) version of Zone Alarm?
    I understand I should deactivate Norton's Internet Worm Protection.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

billc Guest

Default Re: Windows 2000 Professional Norton Antivirus 2006 which version of free Zone Alarm to use?

You should be able to use the latest version of Zone Alarm Free. Here's a download link to 5.5.737.000 . You are correct about turning off your Worm Protection in NAV.

askforgino Guest

Default Re: Windows 2000 Professional Norton Antivirus 2006 which version of free Zone Alarm to use?

Hi Bill:
    Thanks for the link. I assume you meant to type "6.5.737.000".
    I had that version installed with Norton's Worm Protection disabled. Unfortunately that combination is now unusable for me. Since the beginning of this week my machine takes more than 10 minutes to go from the Windows login screen to the point where the Norton popup alert appears. In many cases my machine never completes the startup process; I've let it run for more than 45 minutes at 100% CPU and it's never completed the startup process. Before this problem arose it took roughly 45-60 seconds to complete that sequence.
    Am I the only person experiencing this problem? I've tried installing earlier versions of free Zone Alarm (6.1.737.000, 6.1.744.001) and tried reinstalling 6.5.737.000 but no joy. My machine takes forever to start and sometimes does not start at all.

billc Guest

Sorry. I did type the wrong version. If you've installed and uninstalled Zone Alarm a couple times, I think there is a good chance some files might have been left behind that's causing your problem. There are two ways to try to solve the problem. The first is with a 'clean' uninstall followed by a fresh install. If that does not work, then a manual uninstall as outlined by Zone Labs here should clean up your machine for sure and permit you to make a fresh install hopefully without the problems you've mentioned.

Here are the 'clean' uninstall steps if you want to try that first. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

askforgino Guest

Hi Bill:
    I uninstalled Zone Alarm V6.5.737.000 using the instructions provided here
    on Oct 31st. These instructions look similar to yours. I'm sure I cleaned out all
    traces of ZA using the instructions I followed. After I uninstalled ZA I made a Ghost image of my C: drive. I restore this Ghost image whenever I try to install a different version of Zone Alarm.
    I experienced no problems
    installing Zone Alarm.
    As I mentioned previously I
    installed versions 6.1.737.000, 6.1.744.001, and 6.5.737.000 successfully.
    The problem occurs when I reboot the machine and Zone Alarm tries to start. At that point it seems to battle with Norton Antivirus 2006. Sometimes my machine actually completes the boot process (this takes at least 10 minutes) and other times it runs for 45+ minutes and doesn't finish. As I mentioned previously my machine's CPU utilization jumps to 100% during the startup process. Once the machine does start properly Zone Alarm and Norton Antivirus seem to run together just fine.
    Am I the only person experiencing problems with Windows 2000 Professional, Norton Antivirus 2006, and Zone Alarm? For what it's worth I am successfully running Windows XP Professional, Norton Antivirus 2006, and Zone Alarm 6.5.737.000 on another machine.

billc Guest

You're the first I've seen with this problem, but perhaps others have and can help. You've done the proper things as far as Zone Alarm goes...do you think it could be NAV that's the problem? Does your computer boot ok if Zone Alarm is not installed? If so, what happens if you turn off the Zone Alarm start at boot option then start Zone Alarm after your computer boots...are there problems then?

Thread Information