Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Updated Zone Alarm Extreme Securityl blocking youtube videos >Turn Off ID Blocking

Default Re: Updated Zone Alarm Extreme Security AntiVirus tool blocking youtube videos from p

I did some more digging since others are having the same problem. I found that if I disable "Identity Lock" the same youtube videos that won't run start running fine. Not all youtube videos are blocked, just certain ones for some reason. Here's one that is blocked consistently:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyhl4cWHXaQ

So, now I've found two settings within ZoneAlarm that cause some videos to hang, "Web Scan" and "Identity Lock". (for Identity Lock, go to the "Identity & Data" tab, choose settings for "Identity Protection", then set Identity Lock to "Off")
    When I disable Identity Lock and leave Web Scan on, the video plays fine, and vice-versa. That tells me there is a problem with running both "Web Scan" and "Identity Lock" at the same time.
    I tried adding youtube.com to the trusted sites and that did not change anything. I also tried both the Medium and High settings, both of which caused the video to hang. I've also had similar problems running videos on both ESPN and Yahoo.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 27th, 2013 at 04:27 AM.

Default Re: Updated Zone Alarm Extreme Security AntiVirus tool blocking youtube videos from p

Just to understand better... do you have particularly short type of data been protected by the identity lock? e.g. four or five characters? Identity lock may block pages that contains that combination of characters in the http code. Shorter is the protected field, higher is the chance of false positives. Also if you set identity protection to high you will not receive any blockage warning.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Just to understand better... do you have particularly short type of data been protected by the identity lock? e.g. four or five characters? Identity lock may block pages that contains that combination of characters in the http code. Shorter is the protected field, higher is the chance of false positives. Also if you set identity protection to high you will not receive any blockage warning.

Thanks,
    Fax

Sorry, I meant to add that although I turned Identity Lock on, I never added anything in there to be protected. So under "My Vault" it is blank.

Identity Protection is not designed to work empty. Try to add an entry and check again if you have the same problem.
    Btw, the video works perfectly fine with identity protection ON (with data) or OFF.
    Last edited by fax; November 6th, 2013 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Identity Protection is not designed to work empty. Try to add an entry and check again if you have the same problem.
    I thought of that and put my phone number in there but had the same problem. I set it to Off since I'm not using it anyway.

Also if I add no data I have no problem...
    Sorry, can't replicate here.

Thanks for this thread about videos not playing. I had the same problem on Windows 7, 64 bit, with Zonealarm 12.0.104.000. Blocks Youtube Videos in both Mozilla Firefox 26.0 and Internet Explorer 9. Turning off Web Scan fixes the problem.

Before that tried everything I could think of such as disabling addons, removing Real Player and reinstalling Flash Player several times, reverting to previous Flash Player version etc.

The Web Scan solution is the only thing that works and (on my computer) the problem is easily repeatable. Turn Web Scan off and the problem goes away, turn it back on and the problem comes back. Can't comment on the root cause. I am a long time user and fan of ZoneAlarm, so if ZoneAlarm is the culprit, it would be nice to have it fixed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information