Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: BSOD with Windows 8.1 and v12 of ZA Extreme Security

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default BSOD with Windows 8.1 and v12 of ZA Extreme Security

    I just talked to Matthew G via ZA web support and the basic answer I got was reinstall from scratch since you can't remember what tool you used a year ago to remove a previous product but....

    A year ago when I got this computer I uninstalled whatever software,
    likely Symantec that came with it through Control Panel. I then installed ZA Extreme Security (v10/v11 I can't remember). This was on Windows 8. I have been using v11 for about 1 year now and earlier this week, I upgraded to v12 (while still running Windows 8). Today I upgraded the OS to 8.1 and the system started
    to crash with a BSOD of BAD_POOL_CALLER during shutdown/restart. It looks like it is crashing in fwpkclnt.sys and coming from ndis.sys.

    Matthew says he can't help because I can't remember the tool I used to uninstall the original software and it may have left stuff over. I don't buy it, the system has worked with v11 for a year and only now with v12 on Window 8.1 does the issue show.

    After looking around I found a document that said I had NIS 2012 on the machine when I bought it. I found the cleaning tool on Symantec's site, ran it, rebooted and then tried again. Same issue, the machine BSOD with a BAD_POOL_CALLER. I can provide dumps if necessary.

    Any help/suggestions beyond starting from scratch would be appreciated.

    - Richard

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    17,290

    Default Re: BSOD with Windows 8.1 and v12 of ZA Extreme Security

    Sorry, the best would be to reset windows 8.1 as it seems the upgrade didn't go as expected. May be other users have better suggestions, I am afraid I have not.

    Sorry,
    Fax

    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: BSOD with Windows 8.1 and v12 of ZA Extreme Security

    Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Sorry, the best would be to reset windows 8.1 as it seems the upgrade didn't go as expected. May be other users have better suggestions, I am afraid I have not.

    Sorry,
    Fax
    I am able to uninstall ZA v12 and Windows 8.1 works just fine. It does not crash using Windows Firewall and Defender. ZA interacting with 8.1 is causing the crash.

    - Richard

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Default Re: BSOD with Windows 8.1 and v12 of ZA Extreme Security

    Hello;

    I have Windows 7 Sp1 and not Windows 8.1,

    But here is my two cents worth that works for me..

    Hello;

    Try this safe clean up procedure that resolved BSOD for other users..

    Follow these instructions Below to clean your computer of the old version and any conflicting 3rd party Security programs, then install a clean new copy of the current supported version of ZA 12.0.104.000




    The instruction for a clean install are below




    1. Download the latest ZA 12 version http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view
    <== click here

    2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs/Windows 7/8 Uninstall a program)

    3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

    4. Clean your system and registry with the Free Ccleaner.exe
    free ccleaner <= click here

    5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, <= click here
    now reboot computer after running ZA Removal tool.

    6. Now Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings,
    and Do Not Restore Saved Settings from the old install.



    Let us know how you have managed to resolve the issue. It will help other users with the same problem.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: BSOD with Windows 8.1 and v12 of ZA Extreme Security

    I did a modified version of this and it didn't work.

    - Richard


    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hello;

    I have Windows 7 Sp1 and not Windows 8.1,

    But here is my two cents worth that works for me..

    Hello;

    Try this safe clean up procedure that resolved BSOD for other users..

    Follow these instructions Below to clean your computer of the old version and any conflicting 3rd party Security programs, then install a clean new copy of the current supported version of ZA 12.0.104.000




    The instruction for a clean install are below




    1. Download the latest ZA 12 version http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view
    <== click here

    2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs/Windows 7/8 Uninstall a program)

    3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

    4. Clean your system and registry with the Free Ccleaner.exe
    free ccleaner <= click here

    5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, <= click here
    now reboot computer after running ZA Removal tool.

    6. Now Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings,
    and Do Not Restore Saved Settings from the old install.



    Let us know how you have managed to resolve the issue. It will help other users with the same problem.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    17,290

    Default Re: BSOD with Windows 8.1 and v12 of ZA Extreme Security

    Quote Originally Posted by rskurnick View Post
    I am able to uninstall ZA v12 and Windows 8.1 works just fine. It does not crash using Windows Firewall and Defender. ZA interacting with 8.1 is causing the crash.
    - Richard
    As the OS is preventing the removal of ZA then resetting WIN8.1 should resolve the problem. Of course, I understand that this may not be feasible or derisable but it is the only solution I can think of.

    Sorry,
    Fax

    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Default Re: BSOD with Windows 8.1 and v12 of ZA Extreme Security

    Quote Originally Posted by rskurnick View Post
    I did a modified version of this and it didn't work.

    - Richard
    Hello;

    I agree with Guru Fax;

    Also, When you do a Modified version of the instruction, you are responsible for the Results that you get..

    BSOD Errors usually indicate a Corrupt Install or Sever conflict with other installed Security programs or a Problem with your Windows Operating System.


    May be other users have better suggestions that you will be willing to follow, I am afraid I have no other suggestions.

    Sorry;
    Georgev
    Last edited by GeorgeV; November 4th, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    San Carlos, California
    Posts
    1,636

    Default Re: BSOD with Windows 8.1 and v12 of ZA Extreme Security

    I agree with both guru's Fax and GeorgeV

    A format and complete re-install of the win 8 OS then upgrade to 8.1 will need to be done since its probably an OS issue.

    Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: BSOD with Windows 8.1 and v12 of ZA Extreme Security

    Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    As the OS is preventing the removal of ZA then resetting WIN8.1 should resolve the problem. Of course, I understand that this may not be feasible or derisable but it is the only solution I can think of.

    Sorry,
    Fax
    I didn't say that. I am able to remove ZA and then boot to Win8.1 with the built in firewall and windows defender working.

    - Richard

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: BSOD with Windows 8.1 and v12 of ZA Extreme Security

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hello;

    I agree with Guru Fax;

    Also, When you do a Modified version of the instruction, you are responsible for the Results that you get..

    BSOD Errors usually indicate a Corrupt Install or Sever conflict with other installed Security programs or a Problem with your Windows Operating System.


    May be other users have better suggestions that you will be willing to follow, I am afraid I have no other suggestions.

    Sorry;
    Georgev
    Sorry but I don't just run every 3rd party tool recommended to me. I ran the NIS clean tool (that was the software that came with computer a year ago). I also uninstalled ZA and ran the ZA cleaner tool. There was no other security software on it so I didn't run that tool and I don't like messing with registry cleaners. I have seen them do more harm than good.

    How about some more suggestions other than just reinstall. I'm in tech support and that is the easy answer when people won't dig for the real reason. I'm happy to provide minidmps to anyone willing to find the real solutions.

    No offense guys, but a reinstall is the last thing I do after extensive search for a solution.

    - Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. [WORKAROUND] Windows 7 64 bit, Zonealarm Extreme 9.3.014.000 - BSOD error 7f
    By Docker in forum General - Questions that don't fit any other category
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 1st, 2010, 12:44 AM
  2. Zone Alarm Extreme Download - BSOD on windows 7 64bit
    By derekbeck in forum ZoneAlarm Installation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 30th, 2010, 12:01 PM
  3. BSOD after upgrading to ZoneAlarm Extreme Security
    By richard zac in forum Access Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 30th, 2010, 01:28 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •