Thread: Firewall + AV locks and prevents updates

hhhobbit Guest

Default Firewall + AV locks and prevents updates

Background:
    I recently updated to zaAvSetupWeb_110_780_000.exe so the version of ZoneAlarm AV + Firewall is not the problem. You are getting information from a person that has created Network Management systems for both a state and a university so you can continue to ignore this problem at your own peril because PERSONAL recommendations will be canceled unless this problem is fixed.

Problem:
    I frequently go long times between updates because I use Linux. How long at worst? TWO MONTHS! But even a period of less than a week caused the firewall to lock up. That is a short enough time that even a 1-2 week vacation will be enough for the firewall to panic, lock and prevent updates. It isn't just the updates - the person effectively no longer use their computer and without a phone hot-line your chat is also blocked.

Analysis
    If you pull up Networks and Sharing, ZoneAlarm's firewall has changed the network name to Unidentified Network and there is a big red X. I additionally can not even ping a local HP-LJ4p printer with a JetDirect card. Given the fact that the ZoneAlarm firewall was now blocking the PC from acquiring an IPv4 address from the router via DHCP.

Work Around One
    To prevent the DHCP problem I SET the IPv4 address info. That doesn't completely solve the problem because I still cannot ping the HP-LJ4P printer's ethernet port. I have no problem doing tha on Linux or doing a telnet to the printer from Linux

Work Around Two
    I have only done this once but it did work. I snoozed the firewall. With a static IPv4 address that permitted me to finally ping the HP-LJ4P printer and after punching update several times FINALLY get the update. Will this work the next time and the time after that? If it doesn't ZoneAlarm will be replaced by something else and I will bad-mouth the ZoneAlarm product from that time forward, especially since there is no phone contact number to discuss problems like this!

Solution
    PC Firewalls really should not lock up in a home environment. I haven't had time yet to see if you have a setting to turn this off, but by default the home products should come with firewall lock off, especially if the only reason is too long of a time between updates. Even if people don't go on vacation, many may go a week or longer without turning the computer on. Unlike me they won't know that what is locking their computer up is ZoneAlarm's firewall.

Default Re: Firewall locks and prevents updates

Sorry all users here. If you would like help from other users here you should at least provide information on how ZA is setup, if you have tried to reset the settings, which settings are outside the defaults, how your ZA firewall zones are set.

If you have installed the new ZA on top of the old you should first try to reset the settings to default and test if you will experience the same problem (ZA tools --> preferences --> reset to defaults --> reboot). Ensure your LAN is set as trusted in the ZA firewall zone and that the ZA Trusted zone is set to medium. DHCP IP should also be set as trusted as well as DNSs IPs.

Of course, you are free to remove ZA and do as you feel more comfortable, but for us here, the likely fate of ZA on your system, is not the objective of this user to user platform and simply off topic. Also note that ZA never supported PC set with double boot partitions...

If you have a valid license, you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at the link in my signature. Look for the live chat service. You probably need to be far more to the point with the chat support to help them to understand the problem. And no, sorry. There is no phone to call or e-mail to write. Never been there...

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 11th, 2013 at 02:20 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information