I'm wondering if some of you gurus can figure out what happened here. I had a problem earlier but seemed to have fixed it... but I'd like to know HOW I fixed it :-)
Firstly, here are my specs: WinXP SP3, 2GB RAM, 2Ghz processor, connected via Ethernet cable.
I've been using ZA Extreme Security (v11.0.768.000) without any problems and tried to upgrade to v12.0.104.000 today. I did this in my usual way: Clean uninstall of previous ZA and then install of new version.
However, as soon as I installed v12.0.104.000, I was no longer able to access the Internet. Since everything was working fine right up until the install of v12.0.104.000, I figured it did something to my PC.
- I turned off ZA... still couldn't access the Internet.
- I completely uninstalled v12.0.104.000 (using clean.exe)... still couldn't access the Internet.
- I re-installed my last working version (v11.0.768.000)... still couldn't access the Internet.
- I installed v12.0.104.000 on my Win7 notebook... and it works! So it was something specific to my XP machine.
I contacted ZA tech support twice and they gave me a bunch of things to try... still, nothing worked. SO, after a few hours snooping around my XP machine I decided to uncheck Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS Filter in Local Area Connection Properties.
As soon as I did this... BOOM! Internet immediately kicked back in! YAY! I surfed around to make sure the connection wasn't a fluke and it seemed stable. So I wanted to see what would happen if I re-checked Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS Filter... I rebooted and I was still able to access the Internet. YAY!
So my questions:
- Why did the Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS Filter kill my Internet connect after I installed v12.0.104.000.
- Why did un-checking and re-checking Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS Filter fix the problem?