Thread: ZA 12 and 13 Not Working for me With my XP

Default ZA 12 and 13 Not Working for me With my XP

I use Win XP SP3 32 bit, have 4GB DDR2 memory and lots of HDD space. I have used ZASS (paid versions) for about 7 years. ZASS is now too expensive for me and last month I renewed with the paid version of ZA Pro + Anti-Virus (11.0.780.000).

I have tried upgrading to version 12.0.104.000 over the last two days. After three uninstall/reinstalls, I have reverted to version 11.0.780.000 because version 12 will not allow me to use my PC.

Each time I install version 12, my PC never fully boots, after login, the GUI hangs with the background showing, but never reaches the Desktop where I have access to menus. I have to cold start and reboot into safe mode, disable all ZA services, then I can reboot normally and everything works, except ZA. I then did ZA uninstall followed by a clean reinstall. ZA 12 did take my configuration settings I saved from ZA 11, but that made no difference, it still hangs.

I configure ZA’s AV on-access scanning “off” because I use a more robust corporate AV for malware protection. ZA 11 works fine with my corporate AV and I can run ZA AV scans on demand without issue. Perhaps there is a conflict between ZA 12 and other AV S/W’s?

I have concluded ZA version 12 does not work properly on some XP machines. I’ll stay with ZA 11 and await the next ZA 12 minor release in hopes the problem gets solved.

Default Re: ZA 12.0.104.000 Not Working With XP

Quote Originally Posted by JFTate View Post
    I use Win XP SP3 32 bit, have 4GB DDR2 memory and lots of HDD space. I have used ZASS (paid versions) for about 7 years. ZASS is now too expensive for me and last month I renewed with the paid version of ZA Pro + Anti-Virus (11.0.780.000).

I have tried upgrading to version 12.0.104.000 over the last two days. After three uninstall/reinstalls, I have reverted to version 11.0.780.000 because version 12 will not allow me to use my PC.

I have concluded ZA version 12 does not work properly on some XP machines. I’ll stay with ZA 11 and await the next ZA 12 minor release in hopes the problem gets solved.

Hello;

I use Win XP SP3 32 bit, have 4GB DDR2 memory and 500 GB of HDD space. I have used ZASS (paid versions) for over 7 years..
    ZASS 12.0.104.000 works fine for me..

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 12.0.104.000
    Vsmon version: 12.0.104.000
    Driver version: 12.0.104.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.2.4
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1131047520
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971

You may have a Conflict running a 2nd AV installed on the same computer..

** NOTICE: Please note that ZAAV, ZA Pro + AV, ZASS and ZA Extreme Security do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if they are disabled).

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP/Win7/Win8 add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP/Win7/Win8 add/remove software tool in the control panel.

Unfortunately Blaming the Software instead of helping to find a solution to you own problem will not result is fixing the problem in the next update.

Try this safe clean up proceedure..

Follow these instructions Below to clean your computer of the old version and any conflicting 3rd party Security programs, then install a clean new copy of the current supported version of ZA 12.0.104.000

The instruction for a clean install are below

1. Download the latest ZA 12 version http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view
    <== click here

2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs/Windows 7/8 Uninstall a program)

3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

4. Clean your system and registry with the Free Ccleaner.exe
    free ccleaner <= click here

5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, <= click here
    now reboot computer after running ZA Removal tool.

6. Now Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings, and Do Not Restore Saved Settings from the old install.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; November 29th, 2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: ZA 12.0.104.000 Not Working With XP

To avoid conflicting programs, please remove all 3rd party antivirus and security software. These products will conflict with your ZoneAlarm product and could result in technical or performance problems.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...tall/index.htm

Resolving conflicts with anti-virus products:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in..._conflict.html

You will most likely need 3rd Party Incompatible Software Removal Utilitie/Tool to fully remove.

Which one.Your call.
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; November 10th, 2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added 2nd link

Default Re: ZA 12.0.104.000 Not Working for me With XP

Thank you for your replies. I do not use other PC based firewalls. My Netgear Router does have a firmware firewall though (NAT + DoS).

It is unfortunate for me version 12 seems to not play well alongside my other XP AV tools. I will not name names, but other non-CheckPoint AV programs have tried that tactic and have lost sales because of it. Many PC owners prefer to use more than one AV tool and trying to force a single solution onto them is doomed to failure.

ZA version 11 continues to play well with my other XP AV tools and I will continue to use it. I will try the next release of version 12 to see if my issue gets resolved.
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; November 11th, 2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Posting advise to goto other websites to download older verisons of ZA not allowed.

Default Re: ZA 12.0.104.000 Not Working for me With my XP

Better just to move to another free firewall. Not good to run outdated software.

thanks,
    fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Better just to move to another free firewall. Not good to run outdated software.

thanks,
    fax
    Well, that's true but I don't think the strategy of the OP ("It is unfortunate for me version 12 seems to not play well alongside my other XP AV tools.") will work with any other FW. As GeorgeV just said: Only 1 FW or AV at the same time.
    Some on-demand tools will work but as it comes to resident in memory programs, a conflict between ZA and 3rd party AV is imminent.
    E.g. MBAM (malware bytes) does play well but I recommend to disable it's autostart feature via msconfig. This may apply to other progs aswell.

Yes, that's correct only one AV and one firewall. Piling up security does not improve security on the contrary it creates conflicts and security tools blocking each other.

If the OP is not willing to help but just complain then they can go to another firewall.

Not helping and not telling us the other AV software and exact versions of it they have on there PC will do nothing to make ZA better.

How are we expected to fix anythings if the OP wont help us at all.
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Default ZAPro+AV 13.0.208.000 Not Working on my XP

I read about version 13 and the new collaboration between Checkpoint and Kaspersky, so I was enthusiastic about installing this new version.

Late last year I failed to get ZA12 (12.0.104.000) installed and had reverted back to ZA11 (Pro w/ AV, Branch 11.0.780.000). You can read about my experience with that in my 11/10/13 post under the topic thread “ZA 12.0.104.000 Not Working for me With my XP” under this same category (ZoneAlarm Installation).

I uninstalled all other AV & FW products, including toolbars, from my XP-Pro PC before trying to install Branch 13.0.208.000. The only AV/FW product left running was ZA11. The ZA13 installation S/W recognized ZA11 and said it would upgrade it. It did not give me a “custom install” option so I could pick where to place the folders, the only option was “quick install” using ZA’s default settings.

The installation file is close to 200MB and the download and install went smoothly. I let ZA13 restart my PC to finish the installation. The installation hung before loading my desktop and no shortcuts or anything else appeared on my desktop, totally blank with only my background showing. After waiting 15 minutes I went and ate dinner. I came back an hour later and found my screen saver had started. When I closed it I found my PC was still hung. I was able to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the Task Mgr. It showed 19 processes running, I usually have about 30. Restarting from Task Mgr would not work so I had to shut power.

I rebooted into Safe Mode and ZA would not let me uninstall from there. So, I turned off all the ZA services and disabled ZA, True Vector, & ZA Tray via MSconfig ... all while in Safe Mode. When I rebooted everything worked as before, desktop came back with the start menu and everything else in tact. I then uninstalled ZA13, rebooted, then reverted to ZA11 ... and here I am, 5 hours later, running on ZA11 again.

Essentially, this is the same experience I had with ZA12; except my ZA12 troubleshooting took several days because I tried the things recommended to me (finally had to revert to ZA11). I suspect there may be something in the newer AV engines that just won’t play well with my XP. To test this theory, I’m going to uninstall ZA11 and replace it with the free version of ZA13 w/ firewall only. If this works I think I might install a competing AV tool to test it with the ZA13 firewall.

My OS is: 32 bit WINXP-Pro SP3, w/ updates through KB2930275 (March 2014). PC config: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+, 2.41GHZ, 4GB DDR2 Ram, 750GB HDD (~250GB free)

Sure, some of you say XP is on its way out. Can an operating system truly be considered on its way out when it still holds a 29.5% market share? Win8 holds a 10.6% share and all Mac’s hold a mere 3.4%. Those of us using XP will be looking more seriously at AV & FW products after XP support ends in April 2014. The providers that continue to support XP will earn our business. I hope ZA will continue to be one of those.

I’ll report back in a week or two about my theory that the AV engine may be interfering with my use of ZA 13.0.208.000. Hopefully others won’t have my problem.

Default Re: ZAPro+AV 13.0.208.000 Not Working on my XP

Merged with previous Thread.

Sorry to hear about your problems. please note that Kaspersky engine is there since version 7. Of course, during the years Kaspersky got revisions and improvements to keep up with malware evolution

As already suggested I would really strongly recommend to move on to another security solution that you can keep fully up to date as ZA 11 is very much outdated / not supported and providing suboptimal protection to your system. So, on top of wasting your subscription money you also not get the protection required.

Also consider that if there was a general problem with ZA and XP and version 12 you will see this forum flooded with posts. Therefore the problem unfortunately seems to be local (hardware or software) and likely to be resolved only once you will move to another system (with MS supported OS).

Sorry,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:47 PM.

Thread Information