Thread: Question about the latest ZA Free update

Default Question about the latest ZA Free update

Hello all,
    I saw a dialog box that said a new version of ZoneAlarm was available. But in order to do that I had enable 2 check boxes. One that would make ZoneAlarm's search engine my default search engine, and the other would make www.zonealarm.com my default home page. I didn't want this but at the time I wasn't able to go forward with the upgrade unless I checked the 2 boxes. Shortly thereafter I found and copied and pasted a post identical to this issue; Now my question to you all is this, is there a way to disable the 2 boxes I checked off prior to the upgrade/update?

Thank you

• MUST select search box and default home page choices to install?

I had ZA Free Firewall + AntiVirus 11.0.000.038 installed and noticed that on the ZA main page, there was a new installer, zaSetupWeb_110_000_057.exe, which indicated there was a newer version. (I never seem to get updated by the software itself, so, I have to check the main page for new web downloaders and see if there's a new version.) I ran the updater and checked and there was a new version, 11.0.000.057. However, in order to get the Agree button in the installer to install the application, I HAD to check the 2 search box and default home page options to set ZA search options as my default search and home page options in Firefox. However, after actually installing the update, I noticed that my Firefox search and home page options were not, in fact, changed.

So, I'm a little confused. Does the installer now require that both of those options be selected in order for the Agree button for the application to install to install?

• February 21st, 2013
      Forum-Moderator
      Forum Moderator

Join DateDec 2002LocationSan Carlos, CaliforniaPosts1,492

Re: MUST select search box and default home page choices to install?

Hello,

Yes you can opt out of any changes to the browsers homepage or default search by clicking on "Skip All Offers" on the install screen as shown below.

skip_all_offers.jpg
      Last edited by Forum-Moderator; February 21st, 2013 at 06:56 PM.

Default Re: Question about the latest update

Quote Originally Posted by CleverApex26 View Post
    Hello all,
    I saw a dialog box that said a new version of ZoneAlarm was available. But in order to do that I had enable 2 check boxes. One that would make ZoneAlarm's search engine my default search engine, and the other would make www.zonealarm.com my default home page.
    Thank you

• MUST select search box and default home page choices to install?

So, I'm a little confused. Does the installer now require that both of those options be selected in order for the Agree button for the application to install to install?

The software is provided for Free. A lot of very expensive dollars go into developing the Free security software.

So in exchange for Free software we require the changing of the Browsers homepage and or browser search provider along with a toolbar. Doing this provides a small amount of revenue to us.

Were not getting rich off this nor does it pay for all development of Free versions but it helps so that we can continue to offer Free firewall and AV solutions to the public.

Forum Moderator
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hi George V,
    So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that that the check boxes are simply requests for users to allow Zone Alarm the privilege of being their default search engine and home page. OK, if that's the case, I get that. But I still want to undo what I did, and would greatly appreciate having that explained to me please. I like having the choice of which search engine and home page is running on my computer. Thank you
    Last edited by CleverApex26; November 15th, 2013 at 11:30 AM.

Then, you need to remove the toolbar, check if you have a separate uninstaller in the list of program installed. If not, remove ZA (Watch out to tell the uninstaller to modify the settings to how they were originally) and then reinstall but this time tick on "skip all" when offered to install the toolbar. Search this board for a screenshot.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by CleverApex26 View Post
    Hello, Yes you can opt out of any changes to the browsers homepage or default search by clicking on "Skip All Offers" on the install screen as shown below. skip_all_offers.jpg
    Is the option (skip all offers) still available on the latest free version? Can users continue with the install without setting homepage or default search engine to zonealarm?

Quote Originally Posted by morph27 View Post
    Is the option (skip all offers) still available on the latest free version? Can users continue with the install without setting homepage or default search engine to zonealarm?
    The Skip all offers is available in the 4 Paid versions,
    but AFAIK, I think the Skip option has been removed from the Current two versions of ZA Free..

Here is a official Quote why the Required changes were made to the Free Zone Alarm product.

Sticky: Zonealarm-Free-Firewall-Installer - Agree-Button not active > Its not a bug.
    Its not a bug. The software is provided for Free.

A lot of very expensive dollars go into developing Free security software. So in exchange for Free software we require the changing of the Browsers homepage and or browser search provider along with a toolbar. Doing this provides a small amount of revenue to us.

Were not getting rich off this nor does it pay for all development of Free versions but it helps so that we can continue to offer Free firewall and AV solutions to the public.

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by GeorgeV; November 26th, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    ...but AFAIK, I think the Skip option has been removed from the Current two versions of ZA Free..
    No, the option is still there. What changed was the option "custom installation". That's no longer available. You can only click on 1 button to continue and then you have 2 checkboxes and the "skip all offers" option.

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord666 View Post
    No, the option is still there. What changed was the option "custom installation". That's no longer available. You can only click on 1 button to continue and then you have 2 checkboxes and the "skip all offers" option.
    I tried to install it 3 days ago. I remember seeing the Automatic setup (or not seeing the Custom setup option). Does "Skip All Offers" equal to not wanting zonealarm as search engine and home page?

Quote Originally Posted by morph27 View Post
    I tried to install it 3 days ago. I remember seeing the Automatic setup (or not seeing the Custom setup option). Does "Skip All Offers" equal to not wanting zonealarm as search engine and home page?

Cannot say for sure. I unchecked the boxes a while ago and if I update ZA the boxes remain unchecked and I always use the "skip all offers" option.
    So I recommend to do both.

Thread Information