Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Settings Every Time I Reboot

Question New Settings Every Time I Reboot

Hi gents,

So I have had this issue 2 years ago and it was the reason I stopped using ZA, now i went back thinking the problem will be solved but still it isn't. I haven't found why it keeps doing that. It's very strange and annoying issue.
    I saw a sticky post in this forum but it doesn't make much sense to me... (https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...-Settings-quot)

I am currently running windows 7 sp1 64 bit and my ZA is the security suite.

I have it configured to prompt me for everything (I know it's annoying for the first few days but It's better this way).

Hope someone knows why this is happening, I really dont want to go to ~snip~ another Security product.

regards,

yuz
    Last edited by GeorgeV; November 18th, 2013 at 03:57 AM. Reason: removed competing product name

Default Re: New Settings Every Time I Reboot

Exactly which programs you want to always be warned about?
    What exactly is not working? Can you explain in detail with an example?

To get warned to each programs requesting internet conenction you should:
    Set SmartDefense to MANUAL
    Uncheck "enable microsoft catalogue utilization"
    Set Program control to MAX

Then you will always need to UNcheck "remember this settings" at every pop-up you receive.

Normally the strategy to adopt is not to install software that you do not want to connect out. Loosing time allowing manually a connection for trusted software will not improve your security. If the focus is privacy protection than you should go for another software.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Question Re: New Settings Every Time I Reboot

Hi Fax,

Thanks for you reply.

The issue is that every time I reboot my pc the program settings for the application control seems to go back to defaults.

I have smart defense in manual and program control to max already. I couldnt find enable microsoft catalogue utilization though...

By unchecking "remember this settings" will make it remember it?

I dont usually install stuff that I dont trust or like, but there are some others like graphic drivers from x company that are trying to connect to internet every time I boot up when I have "keep drivers updated" deselected and I wonder, why? or many other that I always deselect check updates that go to internet and accept connections without me knowing (WTH).

Regards,

Yuz

Which exact version are you using? Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> Copy to clipboard --> Paste it in a reply. Mind to remove the license key, if applicable.

Can you be more specific? Provide an example. Take a concrete software, say exactly how they are settings, explain what pop-up you are answering and how? How then the program setting are in program control? Etc...

You must be really concrete as it is not clear what exactly is the problem.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thanks again Fax!

It the ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 12.0.104.000
    Vsmon: 10.0.104.000
    Driver: 10.0.102.000
    Antivirus engine: 8.3.2.4
    Antivirus DAT: 1131644672
    AntiSpam: 6.3.1.4973

Happens to every single process that I run on my pc. From Chrome, to steam, winamp, svchost, firefox, ps3 media server, skype, pcmeter, sidebar, teamviewer, just all. Every single program asks for permission to access internet over and over again after I restart the system.

Regards,

Yuz

Edit: Examples
    Winamp asks for permission to go to the internet when autoupdate is off, obviously I dont want it to so I select "No" and "remember this setting", for Nvidia drivers as well. It has like 5 processes running in the background and they all want internet access, I say NO to all plus "remember this setting". Skype and teamviewer for example I want to allow them to access so I press yes plus "remember this setting".

The main reason I want to use ZA is to control that, I dont want a piece of software going online without me knowing. Like utorrent. It will ask you to access internet when I run it
    Last edited by Yuzepe; November 19th, 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Ok, so if, for example, you "allow" and "remember" an access to internet of a program X you expect that this is remembered after reboot.

So, please choose one application and remove it from the ZA list. Then run the application, ZA will ask for permission, you allow, then check in ZA application control if you find back the application you remove it and check if the settings are correct (you should see green checkmarks...). If yes, then shutdown ZA. Wait a minute. Open ZA and see if the settings are kept. If yes, then you have a system problem at shutdown (i.e. improper shutdown) that do not allow ZA to save the settings.

If not, come back and we move to the next steps.

Fax
    Last edited by fax; November 19th, 2013 at 12:54 PM.

I just tried that with Chrome and ZA asked me to allow it to access internet and it appeared in the program list with a green V.

Improper shutdown -_- that doesnt sound very good :S. It is the only program that doesn't keep its settings.

I have uac disabled and I run my pc as admin all the time. I have a bad feeling this is going to be related with drivers.

My system specs are (See capture)

Regards,

Yuz

PS: Don't worry about temps they are usually: cpu 20-30 idle and gpus in 50
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am not sure I understand. Does ZA remember of the settings after you have exited from ZA (i.e. exit from tray icon) and reloaded it? Have you lauched again the application? Have you got again a ZA pop-up or not?

Do I understand correctly that its only Chrome not keeping the settings now?

Thanks,
    Fax

I have deleted chrome from the application list, and run it again and ZA prompted to allow it access. So I click yes and remember. I checked back in the application list and chrome was back there again.
    Right after that I switch off ZA, waited 1 minute and re-run it, chrome was still there as well as the other apps that I ran yesterday.
    Now this morning I switched on my pc again, to my surprise svchost, teamviewer and all the "run on start up" software was already in the list. All the software that I ran yesterday was in the list this time and I want to believe it was because I turned off ZA before rebooting my pc. Still other software that I did not run yesterday but previous days ago was still not in the list.

Seem like windows doesnt give time enough for ZA to save the database. I sometime use force shutdown but that is rare really.

Regards,

Yuz

See if your Data Base not corrupt.Tools > Preference > Reset to Defaults > Reboot.Do not Restore your old backup settings.You might re-introduce the issue.

If that does doesn't remediate the issue try clean uninstall and install.

If unsuccessful and have current valid license.Contact Support :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information