Thread: XP Pro SP3 Desktop Not Loading After ZA Pro v.12 Update

Default XP Pro SP3 Desktop Not Loading After ZA Pro v.12 Update

After I installed the lastest ZoneAlarm Pro firewall update "zapSetupWeb_120_104_000.exe" (without the tool bar stuff option) and rebooted my system, my desktop, taskbar, and icons would not load. Just hangs with a black screen. Task Manager works temporarily then freezes up too, even when killing other non-critical processes/tasks. I've had to reboot in safeMode, and do a system restore four times after re-running this update. Everything is back to normal, but ZA still is prompting me to update again to this lastest ver.12 patch. Hence the cycle starts all over again.
    I never had any problems with previous ZA updates in the past. What's changed?

My system specs (with other startup processes):
    O/S: XP Pro SP3 with latest Windows Critical Updates.
    Symantec/Norton Antivirus 2013 & Norton Identity Safe (non-firewall).
    Spybot Search & Destroy with Resident SDHelper & TeaTimer enabled.
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.
    LavaSoft Ad-Aware (non antivirus ver.)

Again, I have never had any problems with all of these programs working concurrently with ZoneAlarm Pro in the past. Everything worked fine until I installed this new ZA update. Any ideas ? Thanks.

=====================================
    On a separate note, one of these 3rd party programs has flagged the "Conduit" tool bar stuff as spyware/malware in the past. Removed. Not sure what's up with that. ??????

Default Re: XP Pro SP3 Desktop Not Loading After ZA Pro v.12 Update

Quote Originally Posted by snds3d View Post
    After I installed the lastest ZoneAlarm Pro firewall update "zapSetupWeb_120_104_000.exe" (without the tool bar stuff option) I've had to reboot in safeMode, and do a system restore four times after re-running this update. Everything is back to normal, but ZA still is prompting me to update again to this lastest ver.12 patch. Hence the cycle starts all over again.
    I never had any problems with previous ZA updates in the past. What's changed?

My system specs (with other startup processes):
    O/S: XP Pro SP3 with latest Windows Critical Updates.
    Symantec/Norton Antivirus 2013 & Norton Identity Safe (non-firewall).
    Spybot Search & Destroy with Resident SDHelper & TeaTimer enabled.
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.
    LavaSoft Ad-Aware (non antivirus ver.)

Again, I have never had any problems with all of these programs working concurrently with ZoneAlarm Pro in the past. Everything worked fine until I installed this new ZA update. Any ideas ? Thanks.

=====================================
    On a separate note, one of these 3rd party programs has flagged the "Conduit" tool bar stuff as spyware/malware in the past. Removed. Not sure what's up with that. ??????
    Hello;
    Thank you for providing the information about your installed software

Do not Overlap Security tools, choose one and master it.

*** NOTICE: Please note that ZAAV, ZA Pro + AV, ZASS and ZA Extreme Security do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if they are disabled).

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP/Win7 add/remove software tool in the control panel.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP/Win7 add/remove software tool in the control panel.

To troubleshoot ZAAV, ZASS/ZAES issues remove the other Security programs and (if you can't live without the other Security programs - Not Recommended) - Only re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

*** For example, the Following programs may not work well with ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky (KAV) or (KISS),Norton/Symantec, McAfee, Spysweeper, NOD32, Spyware Doctor, Trojan hunter, TeaTimer enabled, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-Virus program, some Anti-Spyware programs, Registry Guard or Registry locking tools, etc...
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarmŽ Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

GeorgeV, thank you for the response. I am new to this forum, but I now realize you are not an official tech support person representing Checkpoint/ZoneAlarm Products. Anyway, I do not have two antivirus programs or two firewall software products concurrently installed. That is not the issue here so no need to sing to the choir. Thank you.

However, in general, it is foolish to NOT have more than one anti-adware/spyware/malware programs from other vendors (which are not antivirus nor firewall products). No commercial company can catch everything with their products they market, doesn't matter who they are or where they are located. I'm looking for an official answer as to what has changed in this latest update versus prior ZA Pro firewall updates and why it won't work this time with respect to my situation. As a paying customer of ZA Pro, I expect this product and future fixes/updates to continue to work. There should be no reason why I should uninstall other existing products I listed above. I suppose I could ask Kim Komando on her live national talk radio program and see what she has to say about this or switch to another vendor.

Also, I've read some of the other threads about the "conduit.com" toolbar products and have found it on my system (browser profile) too, wondering why it's not borderline class-action material? I'm not pleased that it somehow got there, but I don't recall explicitly installing it. Just hoping this all gets corrected in the next version13 update. Thanks!

I am afraid there are two golden rules on security. Only one active antivirus and only one firewall. You can use concurrent security tools only if they are designed for that purpose. Piling up security tools one on top of the other will not improve your security but create conflicts behind the scene (you don't see them). Additionally, programs will fight for resources and in case of malware infections they may block each others. The end results is less security.

You need to simplify your approach and fully master the tools you will choose, keep your system up to date (XP will be out of support starting from April). Key to security is the user and then common sense approach.

There is no active conduit toolbar in ZA, most probably a false detection from the many other tools you have installed.

As you are running a licensed version of ZA please move directly to the official ZA support at the link in my signature. Please come back here if you find a solution to your problem. It may help other user browsing this board.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thanks Guru, but my question to you is why would ZoneAlarm Pro firewall be conflicting with anti-malware products that are not firewall nor antivirus programs? Should have nothing to do with each other, period. Their design and programming functions are different. Please test this for yourself. This has never been a problem in the past for me and to suggest so seems misleading to me in my opinion. Even running those other third party products one at time (with others even disabled) should not be a problem. I do have these programs "mastered" and know what I'm doing as I do have IT background.

I am not concerned as much about the Conduit.com add-on's but this is something you might want to inform yourself by reading this (at least for the past):

http://toolbar.conduit.com/resources...ZoneAlarm.aspx

Again old link as ZA does not use Conduit since some years. No need to argue on overlapping tools and kernel drivers loading regardless a software is active or not.

Take this suggestions or ignore them but please report your issue directly to official support, not here.

Unless you need further clarification on ZA related problems I will soon close this thread as it is going Offtopic and little progress has been made. Once you have found a solution with support that you feel to share with other ZA users (other than removing ZA) please come back and PM me. I will be happy to reopen it for you to post the solution.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information