Thread: Google problem

Default Google problem

Hi Folks.
    I have an oldish machine that I use for my netbox, running XP. It works for usual net use, but recently I am having problems with google.
    Every time there is a 'google-doodle' it renders my machine almost useless. I have tried the 'contact us' bit in google, to no avail.
    I was wondering if there is a way of using my ZoneAlarm to block this infuriating intrusion, (It's almost a denial of service), before I am forced to switch back to internet explorer.
    Thanks in anticipation,
    Nickel.

Default Re: Google problem

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
    Hi Folks.
    I have an oldish machine that I use for my netbox, running XP. It works for usual net use, but recently I am having problems with google.
    Every time there is a 'google-doodle' it renders my machine almost useless. I have tried the 'contact us' bit in google, to no avail.
    I was wondering if there is a way of using my ZoneAlarm to block this infuriating intrusion, (It's almost a denial of service), before I am forced to switch back to internet explorer.
    Thanks in anticipation,
    Nickel.
    Hello;

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

We have no Idea what you are talking about?
    Are you referring to Google Chrome Browser? Google Search Engine?

What Type of ZA and Version number have you installed?

**Type and Version # of ZA installed (right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> copy to clipboard --> paste it here in a reply - Remove License Key if a Paid version)??

*** NOTICE:
    Please Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version & SP Update used, Browser type and version, any other security tools installed and type of router or Internet connection used.
    How do you connect to the Internet: Phone Line, Cable Modem, Router, Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth?

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hi folks,
    Sorry to confuse you! Please bear with me, I am an old electronics engineer who still thinks things should be simple.
    My netbox is an athlon XP1900 with 500MB RAM and 320G hdd. I know it's old, but has worked quite adequately as a netbox since I built it.
    The problem happens when I start google as my home page.
    Normally the multi-coloured google headline is displayed, with a box for entering the subject that I wish to search.
    This has been replaced more frequently with an animated 'doodle' (google-doodle). As soon as that appears, the computer becomes useless until I can get off the google home-page and onto what I want to see.
    Info is as follows:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service pack 3

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 12.0.104.000
    ZoneAlarm license key: (paid)
    Vsmon version: 12.0.104.000
    Driver version: 12.0.104.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.2.4
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1133059616
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
    Hi folks,
    Sorry to confuse you! Please bear with me, I am an old electronics engineer who still thinks things should be simple.
    My netbox is an athlon XP1900 with 500MB RAM and 320G hdd. I know it's old, but has worked quite adequately as a netbox since I built it.
    The problem happens when I start google as my home page.
    Normally the multi-coloured google headline is displayed, with a box for entering the subject that I wish to search.
    This has been replaced more frequently with an animated 'doodle' (google-doodle). As soon as that appears, the computer becomes useless until I can get off the google home-page and onto what I want to see.
    Info is as follows:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service pack 3

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 12.0.104.000
    ZoneAlarm license key: (paid)
    Vsmon version: 12.0.104.000
    Driver version: 12.0.104.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.2.4
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1133059616
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971

Thank you for providing more information about you computer and version of Zone Alarm installed..

1.) Sorry for your problem with Google's Search engine home page and Animated Graphics.. it looks like the Google programmers like to stay on the Leading Edge of Graphic Technology and may no longer meet Windows XP OS program requirements ever since Microsoft announced they are Abandoning ALL Support for Windows XP as of April 2014

I doubt Google will fix that.. :-(

2.) Your Old XP NETbox no longer meets the Bare Minimum System Requirements for any of the 6 types of Zone Alarm Firewall Free and Paid versions..

System Requirements for ZoneAlarm Extreme Security:

Microsoft Windows, XP SP3 Home / Professional

• 32-bit, 1GB RAM
    • 1 GHz or faster processor
    • 250MB of available hard-disk space

3.) I can Only suggest maybe upgrading the RAM on your old XP to the Bare Minimum of 1GB , preferably to 2GB RAM.

Good Luck..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 9th, 2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Update and fix Typos..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

By googling I see you are not the only one with the problem. I have seen suggested a workaround such as to go to: www.google.com/firefox instead of the normal home page.

and yes, I agree with Guru GeorgeV, ZA does not support your system as you have too little RAM.

Sorry,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information