Thread: Installed latest version and somehow it deleted my microsoft outlook

Exclamation Installed latest version and somehow it deleted my microsoft outlook

I downloaded and installed the installer when asked
    It downloaded and installed the update and asked to reboot
    I rebooted
    It downloaded and installed some more
    I clicked my Start button and noticed all my Microsoft Office icon that were pinned to the Start menu were gone
    I went to the Microsoft Office folder, and everything seems to be there...except Outlook
    I opened Word, it was just fine, but no Outlook.
    I did a system restore to Wednesday, didn't fix it
    I did a system restore to Tuesday, didn't fix it
    I have Windows 7 Ultimate and an Dell XPS 8300 system that is just under 2 years old.
    My Windows Outlook Email worked this morning, as I always check it first, but now it's gone and I can't get it back
    The only culprit is Zone Alarm
    How is this even possible?
    How do I get it back?
    Dell and Zone Alarm Support are both closed until tomorrow and their hours are difficult to work with my job (I may have to go in late this week to try to resolve.)
    Anyone else ever have this happen?

Default Re: Installed latest version and somehow it deleted my microsoft outlook

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Zone Alarm Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with Zone Alarm and need to be guided in the right direction to answer Questions about Zone Alarm..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software and what type and Version of Zone Alarm that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

A.) this may be a Windows 7 problem that occurred at the same time as your ZA Upgrade? Also Windows 7 by default Hided some Tray Icons - click on the Up arrow in the Tray near the clock and see if it shows the Outlook Icon..

B.) If you are Referring to ZA Free Firewall, (since you posted in the FREE firewall section) You may have a corrupted or bad download.. Uninstall it and Download a Fresh Copy from Here:

Upgrade now:
    Download - Click Here

Also be advised that Checkpoint Technical Support is ONLY Free to Licensed Users of the Retail Paid versions of Zone Alarm..

C.) if you got your copy from someplace else then what you downloaded may be infected with malware?

Sticky: Malware Clean-up Guidance

D.) **What Version # of ZA do you have installed (right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> copy to clipboard --> paste it here in a reply)?? (Remove License Key if present )

Please Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version & SP Update used, Browser type and version, any other security tools installed and type of router or Internet connection used

How do you connect to the Internet: Phone Line, Cable Modem, Router, Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth?

**> NOTE: The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 1st, 2013 at 06:05 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Installed latest version and somehow it deleted my microsoft outlook

I am afraid but it's just a coincidence as ZA cannot remove Outlook. The fact that even restore point cannot recover it hints to PC issues other than ZA.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 12.0.104.000
    Vsmon version: 12.0.104.000
    Driver version: 12.0.102.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.0.13
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1132362016

Window 7 Ultimate
    Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Firefox 25.0.1
    Internet Explorer 11
    Version 11.0.9600.16428
    Update Versions: RTM (KB2841134)
    Google Chrome Version 31.0.1650.57 m

I have Avast Anti-Virus
    Program Version: 2014.9.0.2008

I connect using Comcast High Speed Internet

I clicked the up arrow by the Clock, no Outlook.

Again, everything was working fine, and I had just used my Outlook to check my email earlier. I was web surfing when the pop up prompt from Zone Alarm appeared. I followed the directions, and when it was all done, no more Outlook.

I'm not sure how or why it happened, and it wouldn't seem possible, but it can't be a coincidence that it was there and fine until I upgraded Zone Alarm to the latest version.

Aside from the coincidence that we unfortunately we cannot really help here, you need to decide what antivirus to keep as you cannot run two antivirus at the same time (even if one of the two is disabled). It will cause conflicts behind the scene, programs fighting for resources and in case of infections less security as the programs may lock each others.

Either you keep to your current antivirus and install the ZAfree firewall only or you remove the other antivirus.

Sorry,
    Fax

Hmm, ok I guess I can try that.
    I've had both for months now and never had an issue.
    I think I downloaded the wrong version of zone alarm initially as all i wanted was the firewall
    No offense, but I like avast
    Last edited by darclyte7; December 1st, 2013 at 07:00 AM.

If you have Office 2010 installation disk at hand it should be pretty easy to reinstall it.

Sorry we can't add more as this a ZA user to user forum. You may want to get help at the Microsoft Community website: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...7100793&auth=1

Thanks,
    Fax

I agree with Guru Fax;

However I spotted yet another minor conflict in you list of installed programs..

Here is a Quote from the Forum Moderator on the new Internet Explorer v11

Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7
    At this time the security toolbar in ZA versions 12.0.104.000 and below are not compatible with IE 11.

ZoneAlarm will have an updated version this year so the security toolbar will be supported in IE 11.

Forum Moderator
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

I uninstalled Zone Alarm Tool Bar, after I noticed Outlook was gone.
    I hate tool bars, they serve no purpose for me.
    I'm going to try to reinstall Outlook, but I think I'll have lost ALL of my contacts and saved emails because even my profiles appear to be gone.
    Thanks for trying to help.
    I'm still not sure what happened.

Thread Information