Thread: Xbox Extender and Zone Alarm

Question Xbox Extender and Zone Alarm

On our old Xbox console which we recently switched out because the tray refused to open even if there was a disc inside, we had set up to work with our computer with Windows Media Center to play movies on our computer to the television through the console.

After trying today to set up the new console, I am having problems with the Zone Alarm firewall settings and getting the setup to allow the PC setup with XBox on our network. The Windows website says to do this:

• Open the firewall on your computer. In the firewall settings, open the following exception:
      Program Service Local port Remote port Direction Network Needed for
      svchost.exe ssdpsrv UDP 1900 Random Inbound Local subnet Device discovery

But when I go into Zone Alarm, which I have version: ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 12.0.020.000
    Driver version: 12.0.020.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.2.3
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1132551968
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4973

I can't find where to do this. Can anyone help me with this? My father in law would like to watch some movies we have on our computer but doesn't want to sit at the computer. Thanks.
    Last edited by PSAkins; December 1st, 2013 at 01:17 PM.

Default Re: Xbox Extender and Zone Alarm

Quote Originally Posted by PSAkins View Post
    On our old Xbox console which we recently switched out because the tray refused to open even if there was a disc inside, we had set up to work with our computer with Windows Media Center to play movies on our computer to the television through the console.

After trying today to set up the new console, I am having problems with the Zone Alarm firewall settings and getting the setup to allow the PC setup with XBox on our network. The Windows website says to do this:

• Open the firewall on your computer. In the firewall settings, open the following exception:
      Program Service Local port Remote port Direction Network Needed for
      svchost.exe ssdpsrv UDP 1900 Random Inbound Local subnet Device discovery

But when I go into Zone Alarm, which I have version: ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 12.0.020.000
    Driver version: 12.0.020.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.2.3
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1132551968
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4973

I can't find where to do this. Can anyone help me with this? My father in law would like to watch some movies we have on our computer but doesn't want to sit at the computer. Thanks.
    Hello;

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Zone Alarm Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with Zone Alarm and need to be guided in the right direction to answer Questions about Zone Alarm..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software and what type and Version of Zone Alarm that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:

,it is always advisable to list Full details of your Computer:

Is this Windows XP Media Center Edition?

Please Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version & SP Update used, Browser type and version, any other security tools installed and type of router or Internet connection used.
    How do you connect to the Internet: Phone Line, Cable Modem, Router, Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth?

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

also is this a DeskTop, Laptop computer or Netbook;
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I have a laptop and a desktop that, according to XBox, I should be able to connect to the Xbox with the extender for media center via the wired connection (desktop) and wireless connection (laptop). Both systems are running Widows 7 and have Windows Media Center.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-3...-360-windows-7

OK, I don't have an Xbox to experiment with, you can try contacting the ZA official Technical Support (we are all users here), its free for registered users of the Retail paid versions of Zone Alarm.

You find the link in my signature. Once on the main ZA support website look for the icon "contact us".
    They are closed now check my signature for the hours that they will be available..

Last edited by GeorgeV; December 1st, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information