Thread: How to open ports in ZA 12.0.104.000 ?

Default How to open ports in ZA 12.0.104.000 ?

Those not interested in why I am considerably annoyed, please scroll down to the bolded question below. Those interested may read on and share my beef with ZoneAlarm.

I have searched this site, and many others, for the past hour and a half looking for instructions on custom port management. I have only found outdated info that no longer works in the current version--including in ZoneAlarm's own 'new' knowledge base. In fact, there is no documentation at all on version 12, free OR paid, anywhere. Worse still, the latest documentation I was able to locate was for version TEN. That's two full versions and thus probably two full years past! As mindboggling as this seems to me, especially considering ZoneAlarm is a professional company and not just some random hobbyist in a basement, I will suppress my urge to rant and rave any longer about the utter lack of official documentation for what is no doubt one of their most used products--did I mention there is also no option for free users to provide feedback?--and get down to business.

So let's get this over with: How do I open a custom port in ZoneAlarm 12.0.104.000?
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 12th, 2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: some irelivant rant removed as off topic

Default Re: How to open ports in ZA 12.0.104.000 ?

Only in paid versions is it possible.

Adding custom ports :

You can allow communication through additional ports at High security, or block additional ports at Medium security by specifying individual port numbers or port ranges.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in...ng_custom.html

Sorry if I don't come back to address your issue.On extended vacation.(6 weeks)

Note: 2. In either the Trusted Zone or Public Zone area, click Custom.

There is no longer Custom tab.This has been changed in newer versions.Select the desired port type.Type the port or port ranges in the pop up window.Click Enter.
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 13th, 2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Note

The reason you wont find anything on opening ports is first because its an option only in paid versions and second in the paid version its a function that not supported either. Its called Expert rules and is very complicated to use. It not as easy as Open or close port XXX.

You have to be an expert in networking and IP.

Thats why it receives no technical support from ZoneAlarm even if you purchase it.

Its a feature that is so tied into your PC and your network that its impossible for technical support to troubleshoot or give advise how to configure it.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

For those using paid versions and want some information on the following:

Creating expert firewall rules:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in..._creating.html

Firewall protection:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in...all_intro.html

Here is older version.Same principle applies:

http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/expertrules.html

Note: If working with Export Rules.After the rules are applied.Set logging to High and make sure the block rules are set to Alert and Log.In case you need to edit the rules.Check the logs and see what is being allowed or blocked.
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 14th, 2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Note,typo

To late to edit Post.Used wrong term.

Reword to correct term.Edit to ' Track option '.

Note: If working with Export Rules.After the rules are applied.Set logging to High and make sure the Track option is set to Alert and Log.In case you need to edit the rules.Check the logs and see what is being allowed or blocked.
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 15th, 2013 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Typo

Thread Information