Thread: Problem viewing YouTube with Zonealarm Extreme Security > Turn off Web Scan

Default Problem viewing YouTube with Zonealarm Extreme Security > Turn off Web Scan

I had a problem start awhile ago (two weeks/a month????). When I choose a video on youtube to watch 50% of the time the video screen is black although the video audio can be heard. Today I experimented and when I turned off my Zonealarm the videos that wouldn't play earlier were then working. I tried several videos that hadn't been working this morning and they all worked today. That tells me zonealarm is causing a problem with youtube's site or flash player, which is the program that shows the video. Does anyone know or have suggestions on what I can do to fix this problem? Thank you.

Default Re: Problem with Zonealarm Extreme Security

Quote Originally Posted by hooperdoski View Post
    I had a problem start awhile ago (two weeks/a month????). When I choose a video on youtube to watch 50% of the time the video screen is black although the video audio can be heard. Today I experimented and when I turned off my Zonealarm the videos that wouldn't play earlier were then working. I tried several videos that hadn't been working this morning and they all worked today. That tells me zonealarm is causing a problem with youtube's site or flash player, which is the program that shows the video. Does anyone know or have suggestions on what I can do to fix this problem? Thank you.
    Sorry ALL Users Here, None of us are sitting in front of your Computer to see what's going on,

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software and what type and Version of Zone Alarm, Windows OS, is Flash Player up to date? that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:

Please Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version & SP Update used, Browser type and version
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Sorry bout that. You’re right …… I should have given more info. Dumb Move!

Version 12.0.104.000
    Windows 7
    Flash Player – Using the most current version and have reinstalled it to be safe

Thank you.

Default Re: Problem with ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Try turning off Web Scan. Then reboot PC.

Open ZA Click on Computer

In the AV section click on Settings

Click Advanced settings button

Click Web Scan, Uncheck box, Click OK
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post

That worked great. The only concern is: Will unchecking that box make anything less secure? Thank you so much because doing that also solved another problem with Adobe Reader, where Adobe Reader wouldn't always open PDFs correctly.

You will miss the proactive protection from the web scanning (i.e. scanning of data before it gets into the hard disk) but you will still get the on-access scanning of the antivirus. I would try to keep it ON when you are not surfing on youtube or whenever you have not problems with specific PDF.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post

Sorry but i do not understand this,what and were is the AV section and the open ZA click on computer,not sure what to do,sorry.

Default Re: Problem viewing YouTube with Zonealarm Extreme Security > Turn off Web Scan

When you open the ZA interface you will see boxes inside the interface. One box is called "computer". Once you have clicked on computer you will see an antivirus section.... etc... Take it easy, relax and explore the ZA interface without rushing.

Also next time, when replying to other user threads, ensure you have the exact same problem and you use the exact same version.
    This information may be not relevant for you in case you use a different ZA version

Fax
    Last edited by fax; December 18th, 2013 at 05:42 AM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    You will miss the proactive protection from the web scanning (i.e. scanning of data before it gets into the hard disk) but you will still get the on-access scanning of the antivirus. I would try to keep it ON when you are not surfing on youtube or whenever you have not problems with specific PDF.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Thank you for letting me know that I should recheck the box when I don't need it unchecked and thank you again for ending my frustration of trying to fix those two problems.

Thread Information