Thread: Zone alarm free firewall blocking windows updates?

Default Zone alarm free firewall blocking windows updates?

I have a PC running Windows 7 professional 64 bit.
    ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 12.0.104.000
    Vsmon version: 12.0.104.000
    Driver version: 12.0.102.000
    I have windows set to install updates automatically but the updates fail every time, even when I snooze zone alarm. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled zone alarm but with no luck. My Windows programs keep crashing and Windows update error message 80072ee2 led me to this Microsoft page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-id/w...#1TC=windows-7 where it says that to fix Windows update error 80072ee2 I need to add the Windows update websites to my firewall exceptions list. It then gives the following websites:

However it seems with my free version of zone alarm I need the underlying IP addresses, not the website addresses above, under the view zones section. I found an old thread about this from 2005:
    https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...Windows-Update
    and one poster (supremetwo) said this (bottom of the page):
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>pantha wrote:
    I beleive that this inconsistency is with Microsoft, because I do not change anything in Zonealarm (6.1) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Adding www.download.windowsupdate.comor http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-ustotrusted suffers fromIP address changing. If the IP addresses associated with the host namechange after you have placed the host in the Trusted Zone, those IP addresses are not added to the Trusted Zone. The MS updateURLS switchbetween the following IP addresses (from the UK - might be different from other locations):-207.46.157.61212.162.0.30213.254.235.30213.200.99. 3080.67.81.13680.67.81.144I find thatadding these 6 separatelyto trusted as anIP address (rather than a URL), access to Windows Update is not blocked.Byenabling alerts, then accessing Windows update, you can see which IP address is being blocked if you find the above are different or have changed.You can also see the IP addresses when you click the Lookup button.
    However because there is no spacing between the IP addresses, and they may have changed since 2005 anyway, Iíve not been able to enter them.
    I have had to turn Application Control off because it interferes with voice recognition program Dragon NaturallySpeaking, which I use to dictate all my work.
    Can anyone suggest a solution as to how to add exceptions so that zone alarm does not block Windows updates please? Many thanks.

Default Re: Zone alarm free firewall blocking windows updates?

You should not need to add any exception to allow windows updates as ZA will allow certified Microsoft components to run on the system unless you have changed the ZA settings or your ZA settings are corrupted or you have conflicts between ZA and other tools installed on the system.

Assuming its a ZA issue a simple reset of the ZA settings should resolve the issue and re-state normal defaults with automatic allowing of trusted applications.

Go to ZA tools --> Preferences --> Reset to defaults --> Reboot the PC and do not restore any previous ZA settings.

You need to keep it simple or better to find an alternative free firewall that do not cause problems to your system.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Zone alarm free firewall blocking windows updates?

If what has being suggested doesn't work.You could try the following:

How do I reset Windows Update components?Read all before Run Now.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

I'm out of state using friend's PC.So not be able to help further.

Thread Information