Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why were these viruses 'found' on my machine?

Default Re: Why were these viruses 'found' on my machine?

Yes, those instructions are for the retail version not the free one. Just skip it. Update ZA to latest antivirus definitions, reboot the PC in SAFE MODE with NETWORKING. Open manually the ZA interface and from the drop down button "SCAN NOW" (your 2nd screenshot) choose "full scan" (it should be there in the free version).

If you still don't find the way then best is to forget about ZA and get volunteer help by malware experts at bleepingcomputer or spywarehammer forums (link to these forums are contained always in the Malware guidance). They will guide you hand in hand to a full check of the system. This way you will be 100% sure you are clean and free of any malware or leftovers from malware. Next time do not trust shops but go directly to these dedicated forums.

You may also think to pay for antivirus as this will also bring support to it. Most of the time is not just the tool you use but about common sense and few basic actions.

See here for some tips on how to improve protection:
    https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...at-I-should-do

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by barry106 View Post
    Thank you for your continued support.

I have uninstalled, downloaded and installed ZoneAlarm according to your

suggestion.

I then tried to follow the malware instructions but as the re-installed Zone Alar was the same version as I had had already still had the same problem as previous. Rather than write here again about this I used the On-Line chat service.

The person I spoke to tried to help but said he was not familiar with the free version and I should use the forum.

Having had this chat I'm wondering if the instructions I am using refer to the paid for version and not the free version?

You asked for screen shots. I have sent 3 for what I did to try and follow the malware instructions.

I opened the ZoneAlarm monitor, Step 1a
    I clicked 'View Details' in the left hand box, AntiVirus, Step 1b
    I looked for the 'Computer' tab. Step 1c. I also looked at every item under all the tabs but did not find any reference to setting the scan type.

What should I be doing to follow step 1 of the malware instructions?

I was asked about log files. I have 2. One created by the shop which they say they cleaned all the entries. The other from my run of Malware. The sizes of both these exceeds the max . size. Should I submit part of these or how can I submit large files?

I agree with your comment about the shop. I won't be giving them my machine again. I do, however, wish to get to the bottom of the malware problem I appear to have. I have asked whether ZoneAlarm deals with malware and if I should also be using a malware specific program?
    Hi,

I have already answered your question about ZA and malware in a previous reply.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Yes, those instructions are for the retail version not the free one. Just skip it. Update ZA to latest antivirus definitions, reboot the PC in SAFE MODE with NETWORKING. Open manually the ZA interface and from the drop down button "SCAN NOW" (your 2nd screenshot) choose "full scan" (it should be there in the free version).

If you still don't find the way then best is to forget about ZA and get volunteer help by malware experts at bleepingcomputer or spywarehammer forums (link to these forums are contained always in the Malware guidance). They will guide you hand in hand to a full check of the system. This way you will be 100% sure you are clean and free of any malware or leftovers from malware. Next time do not trust shops but go directly to these dedicated forums.

You may also think to pay for antivirus as this will also bring support to it. Most of the time is not just the tool you use but about common sense and few basic actions.

See here for some tips on how to improve protection:
    https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...at-I-should-do

Thanks,
    Fax

I need to add to this. Just because you Buy ZA that will not give you support to help remove any virus, Trojan or malware that ZA does not.

Our support is not there to help manually remove threats that ZA cannot.

I don't know of any security company who does that.

What would happen you would have to PAY for a specialized service to remove the threats from your PC that your security software did not.

So buying software is not a guarantee from any company that they will detect and or remove any threats from your PC.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information