Win 7 64 bit
Drive C: (NTFS) is an SSD
ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 12.0.104.000
Vsmon version: 12.0.104.000
Driver version: 12.0.102.000
Antivirus engine version: 8.3.2.4
Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1134506336

I have read the #2 sticky thread three times and I don't understand what the solution is.

I have the exact same problem described. The scan hangs on a .lnk file in the desktop. (Either public desktop or user desktop) It will hang on many different .lnk files depending on which ones I have deleted. At one point, it hung on C:\Windows\system32\osk.exe as described in the 'solved' thread.

Moving all the .lnk files into a folder on my desktop and the scans run fine. I can use the shortcuts with this setup but it defeats the purpose of a shortcut. They are all now longcuts.

After about 30 re-boots, I was unable to determine a pattern of which file it hangs on. It seems to depend on total size of shortcuts in each desktop folder (Public and User).

I don't have a bunch of defective .lnk files.
I don't have a defective osk.exe file.
I have done a clean install of ZoneAlarm and the problem remains.

These files are small so I have a hunch it depends on where they are in relation to a block boundry. Deleting them and putting them back will move them on the disk (SSD).

And the suggestion of a windows clean install is unthinkable. I will live without shortcuts before I do that.