Thread: Sharing folder on my home network

Default Sharing folder on my home network

Hi,
    I have Zone Alarm installed on a PC on my Home Network! The other PCs use the standard windows firewall. All use Windows 7 64 bits SP1!

The problem is that I can't access the shares that are made on the PC that has Zone Alarm Free Anti-virus + Firewall. That PC can access the shares made on other PC's, but it isn't possible from other PC's to access the shares made on the PC that has Zone Alarm installed.
    This problem occurs intermittently, and goes away if I disable Zone Alarm Firewall - Just the firewall component!
    I have set my home network as a trusted location, and, as I said I can in fact access the shared files/printers on that PC, sometimes! Other times I receive the message that the PC is not accessible! Sometimes it won't even get listed on the windows network discovery.
    I also noticed that the problem only starts occurring a few minutes after booting up the PC, meaning that I initially can access the shares. And then intermittently I can and I can't!

I am using version 12.0.104.000
    Tried reinstalling but the problem remains!
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Windows Firewall is off!

Default Re: Sharing folder on my home network

Anyone? (bump)

P.S. - This anti-spam captcha is quite unic! But does it ever go away?

[QUOTE=HappyPickle;299822]Anyone? (bump)

P.S. - This anti-spam captcha is quite unic! But does it ever go away?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, all Users here.
    Sorry you posted too limited info to be able to help...

Perhaps a user of the Free products will chime in with a solution for your issue?

Here is the posted response to your reCaptcha question..

Sticky: reCaptcha, not good <= Click here

https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...ptcha-not-good
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 23rd, 2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: update

You will need to change the security level in your Public Zone from High to medium to allow sharing of data on your PC with you computer on your local network.

If this is a laptop PC you must remember to return the Public zone to high when you take the laptop out of your home so that your not hacked on another network connection.

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; January 24th, 2014 at 10:46 AM.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thanks I'll try that

Hi,
    I have verified that in fact turning public zone to medium allows the windows shares to work flawlessly., Even though I am on a trusted network and ZoneAlarm is configured to see my home network as a trusted one.
    This is a desktop PC and I will always connect to my home (trusted) network .Is there. any added risk for my particular scenario? What do this settings control besides shares?

It appears that ZA is not working as intended since when on a trusted network settings for public networks take effect. Is this a known bug or something by design??
    Last edited by HappyPickle; January 29th, 2014 at 04:45 PM.

No not a bug. Its worked this way by designed for over 10 years.

The devices that are trying to access your PC are not on your PC's trusted "NETWORK".

Thats the ONLY reason you have to lower your public network setting because the other devices are on not on the trusted network.

Yes this does open your PC shares to almost anyone. So you need to add security to your Shares with only allowing certain users access then and add password access to get to the shares and restrict access to read only.

A way around this would be get get the static IP address of the other devices (If they don't have static IP's then it will be an issue cause the IP changes all the time) trying to access your shares and add them to the trusted zone in ZA. Then you can bring your public zone setting back up to High while allowing just the select devices to access your PC shares.
    Even after doing that I still highly recommend you add passwords, restrict access by users and make the shares read only.
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; January 30th, 2014 at 09:08 AM.

That makes perfect sense, thanks will do that!
    I thought ZA trusted the entire network since my router 's IP address is on the list for trusted networks, though I must say that it is nice to have granular control over which computers I share things with vs sharing with the entire network.

BTW, is my version the latest one?
    I didn't receive any updates but I believe that I read somewhere that a new version got released.
    Using 12.0.104.000 Free Firewall. + AV

Its not the Router IP address, its the individual devices.

So find out the IP addresses to these devices at the IP and set them to be Trusted.

Then the slider for the trusted zone will apply to those devices IP addresses.

I have added the computer's IP address o the list as trusted and it works.

But I also have the option to add an entire network (add a subnet).
    In the picture (attached), you can see that my network is listed there as trusted. But that doesn't not seem to work. I did no add my network to that list, ZA did that automatically. And f I join a new network ZA will also add that network to the list automatically. (If they are unencrypted Wifi connections the are automatically added as public.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information