Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet data usage by vsmon Is over 6Gb in 5 days.

Default Internet data usage by vsmon Is over 6Gb in 5 days.

Due to ISP charges for breaching the monthly data limit, I started to investigate what applications are using this data. Installed Networkx data usage monitor on the 3 systems and it shows that vsmon uses as a percentage of all internet traffic: 90% on my system, 50% on my sons laptop (he streams videos) and 80% on my partners laptop.
    All systems were set to hourly antivirus updates. Looking at my system in detail it would appear that zonealarm replaces the entire virus database on each update regardless of version number or does not check first to see if an update is required . The logs show the same version number repeatedly as updated successfully.
    This is an excessive amount of data 6Gb in 5 days on one laptop.
    I have had to disable auto update on each machine and will only switch it on once a week.
    Can you explain why this is necessary?

Default Re: Internet data usage by vsmon Is over 6Gb in 5 days.

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

Please click on the Link below and Read all of the Link..

Sticky: "vsmon" using 40-50% of the CPU all the time <= click here

This Zone Alarm Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with Zone Alarm and need to be guided in the right direction to answer Questions about Zone Alarm..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software and what type and Version of Zone Alarm that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:

Please Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version & SP Update used, Browser type and version, any other security tools installed and type of router or Internet connection used.
    How do you connect to the Internet: Phone Line, Cable Modem, Router, Wifi, Blue Tooth?

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

My version is:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 11.0.768.000
    ZoneAlarm license key: *** NEVER POST YOUR ZA LCENSE KEY IN A PUBLIC FORUM
    Vsmon version: 11.0.768.000
    Driver version: 11.0.768.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.1.6
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1145133536
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971

When I go to product update it says you are up to date
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 6th, 2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Removed Display of License Key

Hello;

Finding useful help and information on a Public Forum, is like Driving on the Highway.. If you do not pay attention to Posted Notices and Road signs, you will not get to where you want to go..

1.) A Public Notice to the Link to the Current ZA Version 12.0.104.000 is posted at the TOP of Every Page on this Forum..

2.) the Check for Product Update option in your Software shows Up to Date, Because tat feature has been turned off for older versions until marketing turns it back on..

3.) DID YOU CLICK on the Link I provided to you AND READ THAT LINK?

4.) It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software that you failed to provide (WHEN REUESTED) , without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

4.) Please Re-Read ALL of my Previous Request...

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help
    GeorgeV

Any application on your PC that connects and receives or sends data to the internet Will pass through the firewall. Thus you will see the data being passed through ZA for inspection.

What you need to worry about is what apps are requesting the data.

Lets just say as an example, Internet Explorer used 5GB of data for the month. Of course you will see that 5GB represented in ZA (vsmon) Because the data has to pass through the firewall to be inspected.

So only measure your apps and not ZA. The data traffic in ZA is just a mirror image of all the apps on your PC that access the internet, including the OS too.

Yes ZA on its own will download AV updates and that traffic is generated by ZA and no other app. Av updates are incremental. We never download the entire AV def file every time. You must be misinterpreting the data you have. Its never worked like you are suggesting and we never seen it do that ever.
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; February 6th, 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Thank you for your input.
    Yes I have read the link.
    No I have not gone to the latest release yet except on one laptop.
    Ok. How does one explain this clearly.
    1. The local measured usage totaled = the ISP's recorded usage with a 10% variation due to ISP counting handshaking with the antenna and some unmeasured phone activity using the wi-fi.
    2. The total application data usage when added together = the local machine data usage which is roughly the same as the ISP measured amount. eg.
    NetWorx Applications on one pc
    Application Received Sent Total %
    C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZoneAlarm\vsmon.exe 2.68 GB 44.9 MB 2.72 GB 100
    C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe 7.12 MB 523 KB 7.63 MB 0
    C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe 2.48 MB 1.32 MB 3.81 MB 0
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe 1.34 MB 909 KB 2.23 MB 0
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msfeedssync.exe 35.8 KB 2.81 KB 38.6 KB 0
    C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZoneAlarm\zatray.exe 12.9 KB 4.82 KB 17.7 KB 0
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNo tifier.exe 1.74 KB 2.96 KB 4.70 KB 0
    C:\WINDOWS\System 0 bytes 300 bytes 300 bytes 0
    Total 2.69 GB 47.6 MB 2.73 GB
    3. with no applications running, that can access the internet and antivirus update switched on to update each hour, you leave the machine for several hours and on return the data usage by 300-400 MB.

4. Turn antivirus update off leave the machine for the same period and there is 4 or 5 MB used.

So the local measurement is confirmed by the ISP's measurement and the data is being used by vsmon.

Assuming the meausure is correct and there are not other system components (not listed) connecting to internet then your ZA does not work correctly and for whatever reasons fails to save to the HD the virus definitions this may lead ZA to try to download definition again and again.

This may be due to incorrect OS setup, broken permission in registry or several other causes.

So, next important question is: did you fully remove ZA 11, run the clean.exe (ZA removal tool) and installed the latest version? If not please do so and check.

The first update of the AV will download all definitions (100-150MB) of data and the next updates are normally around 100k-150k per update.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

I agree with Guru Fax and the Forum Moderator ;

Try this safe clean up procedure..

Follow these instructions Below to clean your computer of the old version and any conflicting 3rd party Security programs, then install a clean new copy of the current supported version of ZA 12.0.104.000

The instruction for a clean install are below

1. Download the latest ZA 12 version http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view
    <== click here

2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs/Windows 7/8 Uninstall a program)

3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/

to double check no left overs are present.

4. Clean your system and registry with the Free Ccleaner.exe
    free ccleaner <= click here

5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, <= click here

now reboot computer after running ZA Removal tool.

6. Now Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings,
    and Do Not Restore Saved Settings from the old ZA install.

Let us know how you have managed to resolve the issue. It will help other users with the same problem.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 7th, 2014 at 05:15 AM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV

I did use clean.exe on the last upgrade.
    Actions: I have just downloaded the latest version 120 of zone alarms on my PC. I will leave the 110 vesion on the son's laptop for the moment.

I noticed that my partners laptop with v12 which is lightly used has only 224 mb used by vsmon over a week.

I will monitor the new version on my PC to see if the data usage problem persists with version 12.

But it is strange that the high usage is in both systems with version 11.

Will update when I have a result.

As already explained the high usage is not normal and means (always assuming everything else is not broken) that ZA is not working correctly. As I understand the fresh intall seems to have resolved the issue. Something must have happen to both systems to cause ZA to not been able to save the AV definitions correctly.

This can be originating from several sources including a program update in those PCs that broken the OS registry or new software installed that changed system properties. You can only know for sure with a analysis back in time when this first appeared.

If it was a general issue with ZA v11 you would see this forum with clear traces of the problem, this is not the case.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information