Thread: 12.0.104 blocks connection to PPTP VPN, snoozing/disabling fw helps

Default 12.0.104 blocks connection to PPTP VPN, snoozing/disabling fw helps

Hi all,

it's ZA free 12.0.104 on Win7 x64, with standard Windows VPN client, the VPN properties have only destination host IP set and PPTP+MSCHAP2 type selected.

The 'Connecting to <host> using WAN Miniport (PPTP)' message is hanging for ~20s, then reports error 807 (network connection interrupted). There's no connection attempt log on the remote VPN server.

There's no log record in ZA from given time (all alert events are selected to be logged).

Snoozing, or disabling ZA firewall allows the VPN to connect normally within few seconds, as before ZA installation. Re-enabling the firewall breaks the VPN connection again.

Seems like a very common use case. Is this a known issue, or is it somehow specific for my machine? Should I follow the reporting process from the official response in the sticky VPN thread https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...onnect-to-VPN?

Many thanks for a great piece of software!
    -iki

Default Re: 12.0.104 blocks connection to PPTP VPN, snoozing/disabling fw helps

Its a known issue and there is no workaround or ETA when it will be fixed.

Thanks,
    Fax

https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...982#post299982

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    Since SSTP is just a secure SSL tunnel to transport PPP or L2TP traffic through, there is a known bug in ZA with this type of vpn traffic.

At this time there are no workaround or ETA when there will be a fix.

The only advice that can be given at this time is to switch to a vpn connection that does not use L2TP such as OpenVPN. We do know that OpenVPN will work 100% with ZA.

We apologize for any inconvenience that has created for you.

Forum Moderator

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thanks for reply. I did search forums for VPN already. That thread is not related to my issue, I use a PPTP VPN, not a SSTP or L2TP one.

I am afraid it looks like a very similar problem. Did you try OpenVPN to check that it works, so we can exclude a software issue?
    Last edited by fax; February 15th, 2014 at 02:37 AM.

The only advice that can be given at this time is to switch to a vpn connection that does not use L2TP such as OpenVPN.

The VPN is defined in Windows client as PPTP, so PPTP is the only connection type being tried by the Windows client, there're no SSTP or L2TP connection attempts.

Currently, I don't know what software runs the VPN server, and I can't try any other software there. However, we were troubleshooting the issue yesterday with the server admin and he did not see any connection attempts from my machine. So most probably ZA just blocks the PPTP packets and server software can't play role in that.

Should I follow the reporting process from the official response in the sticky VPN thread https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/showthread.php/78956-Cannot-connect-to-VPN?

You can try to PM the moderator to check if that issue is still investigated and give your availability to supply logs.
    Please update this thread if you have any news.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thanks, will try it and post updates here.

Same bug no workarounds, known issue.
    No ETA on Fix.

Switch to using an OpenVPN client or switch VPN providers that have that option.

OpenVPN is much more secure than what your using anyways.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information