Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] ZA Version 10: turn it off to use the printer? --> Update to latest version

Default [SOLVED] ZA Version 10: turn it off to use the printer? --> Update to latest version

hello people,

yea, heres a real "WHAT???":
    i didn't have problems using my printer on the network without zone alarm,
    but now that i have installed zone alarm, i can't use my printer.

i tried 4 times to connect to my printer, and none of them were able to. it could not access it.

i am confused: do i have to completely turn off zone alarm EVERY time that i want to use my printer????

Default Re: Do i have to completely turn off zone alarm EVERY time that i want to use my prin

Check this thread with a similar problem and ensure ZA is setup correctly:
    https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/sho...king-an-HP6300

Also ensure printer software has full permission in ZA application control.
    If you have modified default settings in ZA and can't remember what you did then best to rest to default and start clean

ZA tool --> Preferences --> Reset to Default.

Also remember security golden rule: Only ONE firewall and ONE antivirus at time.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; March 1st, 2014 at 02:44 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Do i have to completely turn off zone alarm EVERY time that i want to use my prin

hi fax, how are you doing?

as you say, all you have to do is to enter the program as trusted, but the program hasn't been added yet, as all the needed files cannot be downloaded, so the "program" doesn't even exist yet! how do i add a program that isn't there?

STUMPED

Two options: either is not there because its not needed or because its name is not easy to identify. Scroll all elements in ZA application control and check the file name in the box "detail" to check anything that points to the printer.

First questions you should ask yourself is: what settings did I change in ZA? This may be source of your problem. Also check the ZA logs for anything been blocked at the time of printing (firewall, OSfirewall and program logs). It may help you identify the issue.

Secondly check the other thread, there are other ZA settings that need to be checked. Firewall zones, trusted zone.

Check the online manual:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in...r_sharing.html

If you want to share resources on your network (all devices attached to your router via cable or wifi) you need to ensure that this resources are identified as TRUSTED in ZA.

If you are lost about settings best to start clean, reset ZA and start again. Read the manual for the basic (ZA help --> help).

Normally you don't need to touch ZA at all, ZA automatically set trusted programs to trusted. More you touch ZA more likely you can break it (unless you know what you are doing).

Thanks,
    Fax

EDIT: Also it will be useful you specify the exact version of ZA used, the operating system (XP, Windows 7,8?), Model of printer and how is connected, other security tools installed, etc. More information you provide more likely other users here will be able to help.
    Last edited by fax; March 2nd, 2014 at 06:06 AM.

hi fax,

xp, the zone alarm with the white around the "z" not orange or blue.

yes, there are 15 instances of the epson workforce 635 in the applications section, and so i set the important ones to custom. i turned down the security setting level.

i read the entire manual from cover to cover

it says it is printing it, giving the print message on the screen, the printer box and everything --
    and then somehow its just... blocked.

something is blocking it. nothing is being printed.
    i tried it three times. nothing is still being printed.

it doesn't work..........

thanks

Ok, I see that you have a problem with settings. Unclear which version of ZA you are using. I beleive you should apply a radical approach as probably you have no real control on ZA and on the settings you should apply.

Go to ZA tools --> Preferences --> Reset to Default --> Reboot the PC.

Do not restore any custom setting in ZA and if you get a pop-up at reboot about ZA to assign the network then choose TRUSTED and NOT internet. Do no change any setting.

If you have still problems, fully uninstall ZA (XP add/remove programs), now double check the printer is working and printing. Does it work? If not, its not ZA. If yes:

- Turn ON windows firewall (ZA will take care of turn it off at install). If you have problems at this stage then you need to fix XP before continuing.
    - Reinstall ZA. Keep default settings and again at boot when you are requested about to assign the network choose TRUSTED.

As Microsoft official support for XP expires next week (8 March), it is time to think to upgrade the system to a supported OS. The ability of ZA to protect you on an unsupported (not updateable) OS will rapidly descrease over time.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; March 3rd, 2014 at 05:50 AM.

hi there fax, thanks for the reply,

i am now in ZA Overview --> Preferences
    and i don't see ANYTHING about "resetting to default"
    i do see, "check for updates"
    "general"
    and "contact with zonealarm"

in addition, i double checked through all of the options and did not see anything about
    "resetting to default"

it is ZA v10.x

its just as i thought, i have to uninstall zone alarm in order to use my printer.

STUMPED

You are using ZA10? You are only a couple of years late in updates...
    We are at version 12... probably soon at version 13.

Full remove ZA10 and then install the latest version. Link to download on top of this forum board (yellow banner).

Running an old security tool is like running no tool.

Thanks,
    Fax

Default Re: ZA Version 10: turn off zone alarm EVERY time that i want to use my printer?

fax, hello there friend,

actually, i'm sorry, it is not ZA 10, it is the one BEFORE that, maybe 9? is 8 the one with the orange around the z?
    yes, that is something that i have been wanting to do. okay, might as well do it.

but wait -- i just remembered something....
    my computer is too slow to be ABLE to run anything highter than ZA 9, as at the start of ZA 10 (and i'm assuming anything (versions) past this (after) has an even "greater" sys req, then my computer will definitely NOT be able to run it. its like 1 gig Mhz and 1 gig of ram (anyways, i don't remember anymore the exact specifics, but i looked it up one time))

anyways, what happened was that i UNINSTALLED Zone Alarm, and my printer worked like a charm with no problems. the problem was Zone Alarm. now i'm just wondering if i should reinstall Zone Alarm, as it might disable my printer functionality again.....

by the way, i just wanted to say that i appreciate your help.

SECURITY

Default Re: ZA Version 10: turn off zone alarm EVERY time that i want to use my printer?

Then the next question would be: how much RAM do your system have?
    Do you comply with minimum system requirement?

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...m-products.htm

If not, I am afraid you should forget about ZA and move to something that can support your system and that you can keep fully up-to-date. Running an outdated security tool is like running no tool. It will simply not able to provide the minimum security that you need.

Thanks,
    Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information