Thread: tablet access to my computer

Default tablet access to my computer

I normally connect to Internet via Cable with an IP of 68... as Public with high setting.
    I now have a simple wireless router which I use to connect my tablet to my cable which plugs into my router (password security). The router 198.168.2.0 is set to Public.
    To allow my tablet to access my files I need to allow sharing. Is the correct way to add the IP that the router has allocated to my tablet as Trusted?
    Trusted is set to medium and its IP 192.168.2.4
    Thanks,
    Ron

Default Re: tablet access to my computer

Set your LAN (192.168.X.X) as trusted in the ZA zones. Your LAN cannot be accessed directly from the internet. Or trust any single IPs that connects to the router, including the router. So, in your specific case to be sure everything works correctly you need to add (in the ZA firewall zones) the router IP, DHCP IP, DNS IPs, Tablet IP.

Watch out that if the wireless router assign the IPs dinamically you may end up with different IPs for different resources attached to the router (e.g. router reboot or loss of power).

If you need further help then you need to post more info. Exact version of ZA (right click the ZA icon near the clock, about, copy to clipboard, paste it here, remove the license key if applicable). Detail what you exactly see under the ZA firewall zones. Specify the OS used. Specify other security tools installed.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: tablet access to my computer

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Set your LAN (192.168.X.X) as trusted in the ZA zones. Your LAN cannot be accessed directly from the internet. Or trust any single IPs that connects to the router, including the router. So, in your specific case to be sure everything works correctly you need to add (in the ZA firewall zones) the router IP, DHCP IP, DNS IPs, Tablet IP.

Watch out that if the wireless router assign the IPs dinamically you may end up with different IPs for different resources attached to the router (e.g. router reboot or loss of power).

If you need further help then you need to post more info. Exact version of ZA (right click the ZA icon near the clock, about, copy to clipboard, paste it here, remove the license key if applicable). Detail what you exactly see under the ZA firewall zones. Specify the OS used. Specify other security tools installed.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Thanks Fax. I am reassured that I am on the right track. I realised that the router might reassign my IP. My worry was that I had not understood which IP's were which. I have found Windows 8.1 much easier to use for sharing than 95. I am now equipped to have another look at Networking for Dummies.

Thanks,
    Ron

Thread Information