Thread: Can I disable the antivirus but keep the firewall and other features of ZAISS?

Default Can I disable the antivirus but keep the firewall and other features of ZAISS?

I'm now running ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 12.0.104.000 on a PC with XP Pro. I want to test a different antivirus product. Can I disable the ZAISS antivirus but keep the firewall and other features of ZAISS after the license expires? And if so, do I have to uninstall and reinstall? Can ZAISS be configured to run like that automatically at startup? I have only a few days left on the license, but have read that I can still use the program(s) indefinitely, just without getting any updates. Or do I need to just uninstall everything and simply install the free firewall by itself? Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Can I disable the antivirus but keep the firewall and other features of ZAISS?

Quote Originally Posted by pequod3 View Post
    I'm now running ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 12.0.104.000 on a PC with XP Pro. I want to test a different antivirus product. Can I disable the ZAISS antivirus but keep the firewall and other features of ZAISS after the license expires? And if so, do I have to uninstall and reinstall? Can ZAISS be configured to run like that automatically at startup? I have only a few days left on the license, but have read that I can still use the program(s) indefinitely, just without getting any updates. Or do I need to just uninstall everything and simply install the free firewall by itself? Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Hello;

I Suggest that you uninstall the expired ZAISS.

Run clean.exe then download and install Free Firewall version only (Without Anti-Virus)...

1. Download the latest ZA Free Basic version 12 http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...10&action=view
    <== click here

2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs/Windows 7/8 Uninstall a program)

3. Clean your system and registry with the Free Ccleaner.exe
    free ccleaner <= click here

4. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, <= click here
    now reboot computer after running ZA Removal (clean.exe) tool.

5. Now Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings,
    and Do Not Restore Saved Settings from the old install.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Can I disable the antivirus but keep the firewall and other features of ZAISS?

Thank you for your prompt reply and for the instructions and links for removing ZAISS. My understanding is that when your license expires, you are still entitled to use the program but without further updates. What I am figuring to do is uninstall ZAISS and install the new antivirus I want to check. I'm hoping I can reinstall ZAISS without the antivirus/anti-spyware component, so I can keep the firewall, the browser security toolbar, and the other parts of the suite. My question is whether that is at all possible, and if so, whether these re-installed components can be configured to activate at startup. I plan to try this in the next couple days (I have some time left on the license), so I guess I'll find out then. The fallback plan, as you suggest, is to install just the free firewall if I can't get the whole suite (minus the antivirus) to work. I'll report back what I find. Thanks.

Not really possible unless you are looking for troubles. You can turn OFF the AV part of ZASS however core kernel drivers will be still loaded and this will likely impact the new AV you will use. The issue is particularly insidious as you may not notice any problem however conflicts will happen behind the scene with impact to show in the long term with potential instability and possible effects in protection.

I would recommend waiting for the new ZA version (Q1 2014 potential release). There are several big improvements in the AV part.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; March 5th, 2014 at 02:16 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thank you. I got pretty much the same answer from another source as well. So I will do as suggested, which is to go with the free firewall. I appreciate the help and the links for uninstalling and for downloading the tools and programs. You guys are great!

Quote Originally Posted by pequod3 View Post
    Thank you. I got pretty much the same answer from another source as well. So I will do as suggested, which is to go with the free firewall. I appreciate the help and the links for uninstalling and for downloading the tools and programs. You guys are great!
    Your Welcome..

Thank you for your feedback..

Thread Information