Thread: Zone Alarm Security Suite Doesn't Detect This Adware or Virus

Hybrid View

Angry Zone Alarm Security Suite Doesn't Detect This Adware or Virus

I recently downloaded and installed an application called Convert Files For Free. I had also done some other tweaking of my computer at the same time. The next time I turned on Firefox 12.x or IE 11 every time I opened a new tab or entered something in a form the browser would get hijacked and sometimes invoke the "Attack Web Page or Phishing Page" alarm. Sometimes several ad tabs and windows would open. Zone Alarm Security Suite found nothing when I ran a complete scan after updating!

I ran two other security programs, Spybot Search and Destroy and Malwarebytes both found lots of adware, and each found a virus which they neutralized respectively. I am disappointed that the newest Zone Alarm Security Suite did not detect any of this!

The ads kept coming even after all the other junk was removed. It was just by chance that I discovered the culprit: Convert Files For Free! I uninstalled it ran Desktop Mechanic Registry Clearner to insure that all traces of it were gone. It's smooth sailing.

I wanted to attach two log files that the other security programs created to show what they found but this system wouldn't let me upload them as txt or zip files. I hope that someone in development eventually reads this and makes the necessary adjustments to Zone Alarm.

Default Re: Zone Alarm Security Suite Doesn't Detect This Adware or Virus

Thank you for this information.

Its very possible first you were not running the latest version of ZoneAlarm
    Then this malware blocked ZA from downloading the latest update thus you didn't know if you had it or not even if you did tell it to update.

The two other products you ran that cleaned it up are very specific types of products that only look for very specific issues and do great jobs at it.

ZoneAlarm is more general over all protection solution when it comes to AV and Malware such as this sometimes needs MalwareBytes to remove it. Even our support dept recommends it to users who gotten malware on their PC's.

ZoneAlarm is not going to be like malwarebytes 100%.

There is no Single security application on the planet that will protect you 100% fully all the time. That is why there are companys who only goal is to focus on malware only.

If you were to only use MalwareBytes on your pc then you be open to tons of other threats they don't deal with. So there not a better product that ZA when looking for general protection.

Keep malwarebytes on your PC and also take a lot more care of where you surf and what you download on the internet.

You as the user are responsible also for security you cannot rely on any product 100% so you can just go out and do anything anywhere on the internet.
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; March 13th, 2014 at 12:43 PM.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Zone Alarm Security Suite Doesn't Detect This Adware or Virus

Also note that I had to change your profile and remove your signature information.

We don't allow advertising of any businesses here.

But your avatar graphic is fine since its not advertising your business.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information