Thread: How to know what firewall "Zone Security Settings" to make

Default How to know what firewall "Zone Security Settings" to make

Our business handles highly confidential and sensitive personal information on our clients, and, therefore, must be carefully protected, with due diligence, and accepted best practices. At the same time, we have to balance that with effective operational efficiency. Looking at the Trusted and Public "Zone Security Settings" page, is like looking at a bowl of spaghetti, yet I can't find any information in any of the ZA help pages that explains the effects of each of the stated selections, so as to determine which should be selected for our needs. Since these settings are important enough to be set/unset, they should be important enough to explain. I would appreciate some information that will assist me in choosing the proper settings to satisfy my company's needs and goals.
    Creacontech

Default Re: How to know what firewall "Zone Security Settings" to make

Quote Originally Posted by Creacontech View Post
    Our business handles highly confidential and sensitive personal information on our clients, and, therefore, must be carefully protected, with due diligence, and accepted best practices. At the same time, we have to balance that with effective operational efficiency. Looking at the Trusted and Public "Zone Security Settings" page, is like looking at a bowl of spaghetti, yet I can't find any information in any of the ZA help pages that explains the effects of each of the stated selections, so as to determine which should be selected for our needs. Since these settings are important enough to be set/unset, they should be important enough to explain. I would appreciate some information that will assist me in choosing the proper settings to satisfy my company's needs and goals.
    Here is the Explanation from the Zone Alarm Help page:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in...0&dest=support
    Firewall zone basics

ZoneAlarm security software keeps track of the good, the bad, and the unknown out on the Internet by using virtual containers, called Zones, to classify the computers and networks that connect to your computer.

The Public (Internet) Zone is the "unknown." All the computers and networks in the world belong to this Zone—until you move them to one of the other Zones.

The Trusted Zone is the "good." It contains all the computers and networks you trust and want to share resources with—for example, the other machines on your local or home network.

The Blocked Zone is the "bad." It contains computers and networks you distrust.

When another computer wants to communicate with your computer, ZoneAlarm security software looks at the Zone it is in to help decide what to do.

To learn how to put a computer, network, or program in the Trusted Zone,
    see Managing traffic sources.

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thanks for your response George, but unfortunately that's not the information I need. I've already reviewed all those items. What I need to know is EXACTLY which settings in each of the Trusted and Public "Zone Security Settings" windows that I should select/deselect in order to balance maximum security with operational efficience. The settings to which I'm referring are those under, "Advanced Firewall>Settings>Advanced Settings" for the Trusted and Public Zones. For example, in the Trusted Zone window there are two columns, "High Security" and "Medium Security". the former contains 13 items, with only one pre-checked (Allow broadcast/multicast), while the latter contains 12 items with NONE pre-checked. There're similar settings within the Public Zone window. These are the settings for which I need to know which ones to check and which ones not to check for the security balance I mentioned. I can't find information about these anywhere, but since they exist, there must be a reason for them.
    Creacontech

The default settings are already maximizing security and usability. To change those settings you should have advance network knowledge that you can only acquire not via ZoneAlarm help and guide but studying network and internet protocols.

Therefore do not change them as they are already been optimized. But it is important that ZA zones are set correctly as already explained.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Post Re: How to know what firewall "Zone Security Settings" to make

I have zone alarm version 12.0.104.000

I installed a dlink web cam, and I'm trying to access it from the internet, but the firewall is blocking it. How do I open up access to allow access to it from the internet?
    Thanks, Dan

Sky Soldiers Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moreaboutjesus View Post

I installed a dlink web cam, and I'm trying to access it from the internet.

How do I open up access to allow access to it from the internet?

Thanks, Dan
    If you shut down ZoneAlarm.Does the webcam work.If it does work.Check your Firewall Logs to see what's being Block and add to the Trusted Zone.

If webcam not working after you shut down ZoneAlarm , then you most likely need to do the following.

You need to setup your router settings for Port Forwarding required settings to allow access to it from the internet.

Your webcam installation setup wizard provided on the CD.Will most likely provide that infomation.Contact D-Link support here:

https://www.mydlink.com/support

Footnote : See the FAQ for your Camera there also.

Have no other suggestion to offer.Other users might want to chime in.
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; March 23rd, 2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Typo, reword,Support link

Open the port for the web cam's software or application, or in other words allow internet server (and internet access). Plus if using a router the router should have open ports to allow ingress access or place the computer in a dmz in the router.

Broadcast (udp for 255.255.255.255 on the local netwokr only) is required for the initial connection to the dhcp server prior to actual established client-server connections (udp ports 67 and 68).

Multicast has various uses for various windows services and other third party software, but again only on the local network. Lanman service or windows medai network sharing are just two examples.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information