Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can someone connect to wireless printer without installing, drivers?

Default can someone connect to wireless printer without installing, drivers?

hi there, what's up?

should someone be able to connect to a wireless printer -- who is on the same network as me -- without installing the drivers (where an installation disk has been provided to install it, but where the printer has not been installed (no drivers)) and be able to print something?

thanks,

Default Re: can someone connect to wireless printer without installing, drivers?

No, drivers must be installed. Sometimes drivers are available directly from windows update servers.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Question Re: can someone connect to wireless printer without installing, drivers?

hi fax, how are doing bro?

that's what i thought.
    because a person on the same network as me printed some pages without installing the drivers, or even knowing the name of the printer!!!!!!!!!
    wow.....
    but then again, it may not be any "normal" person.

thank you fax,
    much appreciated.

i have run out of zone alarm related questions, so this will be the last time that i talk to you for a long time.
    so i just want to thank you for all of your help.
    i appreciate everything that you have done for me.
    [i'll just leave the unanswered questions blank, since no one answered them, which i asked earlier, instead of reposting the same questions]

SECURITY
    God is my Shield

Default Re: can someone connect to wireless printer without installing, drivers?

Yes, if the printer is connected to the internal network a simple search on windows will show it then (add printer --> network printer, etc), if the printer driver is available in MS window then they can simply install it and then print.

To have a printer in the network without sharing it, you simply need not to allow sharing a the time to install the printer. You need to consult the manual of the printer for this.

Lightbulb Re: can someone connect to wireless printer without installing, drivers?

hi fax, how are you?

oh wow, i didn't know you could do that.
    okay, so its not so special then, as it can be looked up, with a bit of know how...

yes, that would be high security, instead of the medium setting.

these were the last of my zone alarm related questions that i had that weren't answered when i posted them.
    since, after this, i am not going to be one this forum any longer due to running out of questions, i was just wondering if you could be a pal and answer them for me?:

1. 1, 2, or 3 boxes appear for internet connection, instead of the same number each time???
    [box= "keep in internet zone" or choice of "allow into trusted zone"]
    should only 1 box appear when you connect to the internet, or does this same box "reappear" sometimes 2 and 3 times after making your selection?

2. If you add a web site to the "exception list", can this web site then SEE your computer and add/remove/change files on your computer?

3. this one was almost completely answered except for the last part:
    the only reason that you would want to share files with other computers on the same network as you, is for printers or other business related documents [for businesses, if you were a business -- that is why you would use this function]?

White Hat
    God is my Shield

1. Normally only once for general internet connection (e.g. first time you install ZA or first time you connect to internet with a internet service provided). Read well the pop-up box and take note of differences. Often request is linked to the trusted zone but also the internet zone (so you get 2 similar pop-ups but with slightly different scope).

2. Exclusion is not for websites but executables/components.

3. No, its generic. Do you need to share resources on your LAN? Yes? Then X setting needs to apply. No? Then Y setting needs to apply.

Thanks,
    Fax

Lightbulb Re: can someone connect to wireless printer without installing, drivers?

thanks fax,

1. they had the exact same text and options available. but at least now i know that it "can" happen normally, even if its asking the exact same question 3 times in a row!

the exception list, or rather, the EXACT NAME, is "add zone", where you enter the web site address.
    you have never heard of this, huh?

so the question then remains, at this point,
    can this web site then SEE your computer and add/remove/change files on your computer?

SECURITY
    God is my Shield

Sorry, in short.... the "add zone" is not designed for website blacklisting/whitelisting.

Post Re: can someone connect to wireless printer without installing, drivers?

fax, my friend, thanks for the reply,

i don't understand your answer, whether that is a "yes", or "no", but thanks anyways.

i guess you tried. maybe you don't know either. that's why i was asking.

but by your response, i'm assuming that that's a "yes", meaning that you are giving FULL access to any program or web site that you allow in the "exception list" or "add zone" area.
    i was just wondering for my own security/safety purposes. a web site asked me to add it to the add zone, to "trust" it, so i didn't know if, for my own safety if that was a good idea
    i'm not going to tell you the name of the site, because i want to find out your opinion first, if there is any forthcoming, before i tell you the name of the company, so that there is no "bias" in this answer.

EDIT:
    i understand the answer now -- don't worry about answering. i don't want to bother you over simple problems.

White Hat
    Last edited by White Hat; March 26th, 2014 at 09:48 PM.

Sorry, I am not sure I can follow what you are trying to say. Shorter messages would probably help. As far as I can see from the end of your last post you then understood my previous message.

Thanks,
    Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information