Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zone alarm cannot be installed. Please upgrade the operating system to service pack 3

Default Re: Zone alarm cannot be installed. Please upgrade the operating system to service pa

If your having this issue:

#1 We need your install.log files.
    We need the ENTIRE log file not just a frangment copied and pasted to the forum.

#2 We need a screen shot of the XP properties window like in this example.
    XP-Properties.jpg

===============================================

If may help us better understand the issue if you can locate your install log file.

If you do find it with the following directions PM me here and I'll tell you how to get them to me.

The install.log is located in a Temp folder. To find it click Start >> Run >> type in the Open dialog box:

%Temp% and then enter.

The temp folder will open. The ZA temp folder has a bunch of random numbers and letters. There could be
    many of these folders. You must find the Most recently created folder that corresponds to the date the user
    had ran the installer.

The folder will look something like this but not exactly like this.
    {6BBB3C5E-6BDE-439B-81A4-5EAE82F0228A}

When you find the most recent folder thatís where the install.log file is located.
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; August 1st, 2014 at 01:19 PM.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Zone alarm cannot be installed. Please upgrade the operating system to service pa

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    If your having this issue:

#1 We need your install.log files.
    We need the ENTIRE log file not just a frangment copied and pasted to the forum.

#2 We need a screen shot of the XP properties window like in this example.
    XP-Properties.jpg

===============================================

If may help us better understand the issue if you can locate your install log file.

If you do find it with the following directions PM me here and I'll tell you how to get them to me.

The install.log is located in a Temp folder. To find it click Start >> Run >> type in the Open dialog box:

%Temp% and then enter.

The temp folder will open. The ZA temp folder has a bunch of random numbers and letters. There could be
    many of these folders. You must find the Most recently created folder that corresponds to the date the user
    had ran the installer.

The folder will look something like this but not exactly like this.
    {6BBB3C5E-6BDE-439B-81A4-5EAE82F0228A}

When you find the most recent folder thatís where the install.log file is located.
    I've already provided my install.log in previous posts. In my computer properties it does say Service Pack 3.

It seems that it is software-like problem not the procedure we did follow. The last Free Firewall + Antivirus which worked on XP SP3 is:

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 12.0.121.000
    Vsmon version: 12.0.121.000
    Driver version: 12.0.121.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.2.4
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1153918720

anything more recent brings about a monit that this system needs to be upgraded to SP3, which is forlorn as the previous versions worked on SP3 XP! Something was rearranged in Zone Alarm at the code level.

Please moderators this is not our XP systems' fault. Can someone fix this in the next release?
    Last edited by Davidcopperfield; October 23rd, 2014 at 07:05 AM.

Sorry, there is nothing to fix. Simply your XP SP3 did not install all the patches. You need to install again SP3 fully + ALL patches afterwards to be able to install ZA latest version.
    Regardless the version you install, ZA will not be able to fully protect your system as XP is not anymore supported by Microsoft nor patches are developed for newly discovered vulnerabilities.

I would recommend you do not use the system for financial transactions, banking or shopping online.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Sorry, there is nothing to fix. Simply your XP SP3 did not install all the patches. You need to install again SP3 fully + ALL patches afterwards to be able to install ZA latest version.
    I've already gotten the system with SP 3 and I use autoupdate plus manually I added several optional patches. I guess I have it all.

I do not have Service pack 3 on the list of updates! It is included in the system, thus I cannot uninstall it and reinstall. It's compilation 2600 xpsp_sp3 version 5.1

I did download manually the service pack 3 from Microsoft page and it said that SP3 cannot be installed and I need to upgrade to SP 1 or SP 2. Downright Nonsense.
    The system had been purchased leaglly with serial number together with the laptop.
    All other software, which already do not work on SP2, does work on my system. Such as Bitfdefender, Kaspersky and pleathora of free firewalls and Zone alarm -the last version which did work

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 12.0.121.000
    Vsmon version: 12.0.121.000
    Driver version: 12.0.121.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.2.4
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1153918720

How come it has not been installed fully? Where exactly lies the fault? What makes newer versions than 12.0.121.000 incompatible with my system?
    Last edited by Davidcopperfield; October 26th, 2014 at 05:09 AM.

You just download the standalone version of SP3 and install again followed by the all the rest. HOWEVER, if SP3 will not install a specific KB on the system (e.g. if it recognise a particular conflict with something installed) then you are back to the same problem.

I repeat: its not just a matter of seen that you have installed SP3 on the system but if all KB fixes included in SP3 have been actually installed.

The only procedure that will for sure fix the problem. Its the full format, remove any proprietary software that comes with the PC (e.g. HP, Lenovo, Samsung specific drivers), install SP3 and all patches and fixes up to April 2014 (this is where XP stopped updating) and then install ZA.

If you cannot afford to reformat the PC then better to move to another security solution that you can keep fully up-to-date as anyway ZA will not protect sufficiently a system that is not trusted by default.

Finally, please note that this is not new. There are several threads during the past years that say the same.

Sorry,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    You just download the standalone version of SP3 and install again followed by the all the rest.
    Been there done that. SP3 does not ecognise the system and asksk to upgrade to SP 2 od SP1 before. The 2007 compilation is not recognised as such.

I repeat: its not just a matter of seen that you have installed SP3 on the system but if all KB fixes included in SP3 have been actually installed.
    If I find&install the missing KB, then can I get the Zonealarm going?

The only procedure that will for sure fix the problem. Its the full format, remove any proprietary software that comes with the PC (e.g. HP, Lenovo, Samsung specific drivers), install SP3 and all patches and fixes up to April 2014 (this is where XP stopped updating) and then install ZA.
    If install the XP compialtion with SP3 on board I'm again at the starting point. The complilation is not recognised. I would have to get a pure system from elsewhere and just use the serial number I use now.

If you cannot afford to reformat the PC then better to move to another security solution that you can keep fully up-to-date as anyway ZA will not protect sufficiently a system that is not trusted by default.
    How come that other internet security softwares do not have problems with SP3 on compiled XP?

[quote[Finally, please note that this is not new. There are several threads during the past years that say the same.[/quote] What the cause of that? What has been changed since version 12,00 (which worked on many compilations)...which makes it incompatible?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information