Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZA blocking internet access through DHCP

Default ZA blocking internet access through DHCP

Recently, my boardband setting changed from PPPop to DHCP, whenever dynamic IP changes, it pops up a message to request Public / Trusted, if I do not respond to this message, IE would not able to access internet at all, and would like to know what setting within ZA should be set to avoid this issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :>

Default Re: ZA blocking internet access through DCHP

Quote Originally Posted by oem7110 View Post
    Recently, my boardband setting changed from PPPop to DHCP, whenever dynamic IP changes, it pops up a message to request Public / Trusted, if I do not respond to this message, IE would not able to access internet at all, and would like to know what setting within ZA should be set to avoid this issue.

Hello,

Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> About --> Copy to Clipboard --> Paste in a reply here. Mind to remove the license key (if applicable).

Exact version of OS used? XP SP?, Windows 7 SP?. Windows 8?8.1? English version?
    Other security running on the PC? Laptop?

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer it's Software and what type and Version of Zone Alarm that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:

Whenever posting here, it is always advisable to list Full details of your Computer:

Please Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version & SP Update used, Browser type and version, any other security tools installed and type of router or Internet connection used.

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarmģ Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hello,

Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> About --> Copy to Clipboard --> Paste in a reply here. Mind to remove the license key (if applicable).

Exact version of OS used? XP SP?, Windows 7 SP?. Windows 8?8.1? English version?
    Other security running on the PC? Laptop?
    ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 12.0.118.000
    Vsmon version: 12.0.118.000
    Driver version: 12.0.118.000

XP SP3 English version without other security running on PC.

I would like to know where to locate the "Allow Outgoing DNS/DHCP in Trusted Zone on High setting",
    In the Advanced firewall settings, there should be an option labeled ‘Allow Outgoing DNS/DHCP in Trusted Zone on High setting’, but I cannot find it.

Do you have any suggestions?
    Thank you very much for any suggestions :>
    Last edited by oem7110; March 29th, 2014 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hello,

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 12.0.118.000
    Vsmon version: 12.0.118.000
    Driver version: 12.0.118.000

XP SP3 English version without other security running on PC.

I would like to know where to locate the "Allow Outgoing DNS/DHCP in Trusted Zone on High setting",
    In the Advanced firewall settings, there should be an option labeled ‘Allow Outgoing DNS/DHCP in Trusted Zone on High setting’, but I cannot find it.

Under "Advanced Firewall" on then right side click "View Zone" the click "Trusted Zones"

I would Recommend leaving these settings as Default settings..

at Bottom of this Screen Click on "Reset to Default"

You may need to reboot computer for new settings to take effect..

Regards;

GeorgeV
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 30th, 2014 at 03:42 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarmģ Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

The first question would be why changing the trusted zone to high? Like this you basically assume any connection (even your PC) is coming from the internet.

So, for best/correct connection experience, the trusted zone should be set to MEDIUM (default) and not high, and Internet zone should be set to HIGH (default).

Then from the ZA zones you will be deciding what to trust and what not. In your specific case you will add the DHCP IP to the firewall trusted zone (normally this is automatically added at install).

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    So, for best/correct connection experience, the trusted zone should be set to MEDIUM (default) and not high, and Internet zone should be set to HIGH (default).

Then from the ZA zones you will be deciding what to trust and what not. In your specific case you will add the DHCP IP to the firewall trusted zone (normally this is automatically added at install).

Thanks,
    Fax
    I have set trusted zone to be MEDIUM and Public zone to be HIGH, the current issue is that DHCP IP is dynamic, which is not a fixed IP, do you have any suggestions on how to set for dynamic DHCP IP? I have tried to allow DHCP IP in Public zone, but IE cannot access internet in this case until I allow DHCP IP in Trusted zone.

Sky Soldiers Guest

I have set trusted zone to be MEDIUM and Public zone to be HIGH, the current issue is that DHCP IP is dynamic, which is not a fixed IP, do you have any suggestions on how to set for dynamic DHCP IP? I have tried to allow DHCP IP in Public zone, but IE cannot access internet in this case until I allow DHCP IP in Trusted zone.
    The default firewall security levels High for the Public Zone, Med. for the Trusted Zone.

Using the Network Configuration Wizard:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/in...ig_wizard.html

See Also where it says: Configuring a new network connection at the bottom.

Note: If not behind router doing Network Address Translation (NAT).

Using a single, non-networked PC, the traffic source list displays only your ISPís (Internet Service Providerís) network, which should be in the Public Zone, Doing ipconfig /all will confirm.

If behind a router.It should be set for Dynamic IP Address for DHCP connection in your router configuration setup.Check your router settings.
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; March 30th, 2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Reword Note

Hi!

Yes, follow Sky Soldier suggestion. Determine your DHCP IP and add it to the ZA trusted zone.

Next time post exactly what you see in the ZA firewall zones.

and dynamic DHCP = your router (192.168.x.x) assign to you a dynamic IP when you connect to it. Did you set your internal LAN (192.168....) as trusted?

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; March 30th, 2014 at 08:32 AM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Soldiers View Post
    The default firewall security levels High for the Public Zone, Med. for the Trusted Zone.

Using a single, non-networked PC, the traffic source list displays only your ISPís (Internet Service Providerís) network, which should be in the Public Zone, Doing ipconfig /all will confirm.
    For single, non-networked PC, after established a network connection, I select Public zone for DHCP IP, but IE fails to access internet until I select Trusted zone, I get nothing to share files, printers, and other resources with other computers on that network.

Do you have any suggestions on what wrong it could be possible?

Furthermore, my notebook for Win7 Home version also use the same ZA version, but it does not have this problem, when I check both setting on 2 ZA, I find out WMI is allowed on Win7, but not Win XP, do you know what WMI is? would it be any relationship with this connecting issue?

WMI - C:\windows\system32\wbem\wmipvse.exe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information