Thread: Zonealarm 2015 firewall problem with Serv-U 14.02

Default Zonealarm 2015 firewall problem with Serv-U 14.02

Since upgrading to ZIS 2015, the firewall blocked external access to Serv-U 14.02

Am sure that the Firewall is blocking, cos access was allowed when i "Snooze Firewall for 5 minutes".
    Also worked if i lowered the Advanced Firewall Setting to Medium (which i do not want to do).

Solutions I tried before without success include:

- Going into Application Control settings and set serv-u to Supertrust, and allowed all 4 paramenters

- deleting the serv-u settings, so tzonealarm ask me again if i would grant access. I clicked yes, all 4 parameters in Application Control Settings turned green, yet, connection still blocked.

- I also tried completely uninstalled and reinstalled ZIS 2015, so everything was back to learning mode, still no success.

At the end, i had to reinstall ZIS 2014 to get it back to work.

So, obviously, this is a bug in ZIS 2015's firewall .

Hope this gets resolved soon. Thanks.

Default Re: Zonealarm 2015 firewall problem with Serv-U 14.02

Hi!

sorry all users here, if you believe there is a problem or bug with ZA then you need to report to official ZA technical support. Its free for registered users. There was no major modification between ZA 2014 and 2015 on the part of the firewall. So, I guess something else is at play on the system (was the OS firewall really off?)

But please contact directly support (link in my signature), no report or troubleshooting no fix. On top of been stack with an old version.

Thanks,
    fax
    Last edited by fax; April 11th, 2014 at 12:56 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Yes, the OS firewall was definitely off.
    This is demosntrated by successful connection when either Advanced Firewall Seting is set to "Mediium" or when ZIS Firewall is snoozed for 5 minutes. So definitely it's ZIS 2015 at play here.

Anyways, just want to bring this up. Whether they'd like to look into it or not, its up to ZA. I'm happily back to ZIS 2014 for the time being.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

Well, again ZA support does not read this forum. So, posting here is just like not posting it. If you want to get it fixed (or having a chance to have it fixed) then you need to report it to ZA support. They may also need logs that we can't collect here. Also double check ZA logs for anything been blocked it may help the diagnose.

Otherwise you will be stack with an old ZA. Not an ideal approach with your first line of defense

Unless you need any further info on the issue I will close soon this thread as we can't really address it here.

Please do no hesitate to PM me in case you need this thread to be reopen, for example, if you have found a solution to the problem and you want to share it for the benefit of other users.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; April 11th, 2014 at 01:49 AM.

BTW, as ZoneAlarm is targeted to home users it does not officially support server type of setups. Such as the FTP server you intend to run. It does not necessarily mean ZA may not work with it but simply its not something you can expect they fix.

Also consider that if any fixes should come on the software it will be most likely on the latest version only. For the case of Serv-U it is 15.0.1.20.

Finally, what has normally work is to add the IPs that need to communicate with the system in the ZA zones as TRUSTED. And having the ZA trusted zone set to MEDIUM. I guess that you do not have predetermined IPs to add. If so, there is no other workaround that I am aware of.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information