Zo
    neAlarm Extreme Security version: 13.0.208.000
    Vsmon version: 13.0.208.0
    Driver version: 13.0.70.0
    Antivirus engine version: 8.3.3.9
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1150309696
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4973

hello
    When downloading files from the Internet, or when streaming VSMON uses unproportionalamount of CPU. the system is getting choked and virtually i can not work, listen to music etc.

please help
    thank you
    yaron
    Last edited by fax; April 16th, 2014 at 05:20 AM. Reason: removed spaces - please use IE11 in compatibility mode

Default Re: Zonealarm (vsmon.exe) chokes my PC

Hello;

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Zone Alarm Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with Zone Alarm and need to be guided in the right direction to answer Questions about Zone Alarm..

I am very sorry you are having problems with ZA and hopefully I will be able to find a solution for you

The CPU usage increase could be a result of many things?
    Conflict with other Programs on your computer?

Limited available resources, Available Bandwidth, Dialup or Cable Modem, Time of day of download etc..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hello,

do you have enough RAM free at the time of performing such activities? Do you run any other security tool? Did you upgrade on top of a previous version? Do you have the same behaviour on any web broswer (firefox, IE, chrome)? Have you been infected recently by malware? Are you using an Torrent or similar P2P programs?All of the above and many other factors can be the origin of the problem.

To isolate and understand if this is due to third party software installed on the system you could try the following:

1. Click the Windows 7 "Start" ->
    2. Type MSCONFIG in the search box and click OK
    3. Once in MSCONFIG , click the ServiceTab
    4. Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    5. Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet Monitor, ZoneAlarm Privacy Service, and any ither services from Zonealarm (e.g. antitheft service, etc).
    6. Click the Startup Tab,
    7. Order by publisher and disable all items except items from Microsoft and Checkpoint.
    8. Restart your computer

Now test if the issue persist. If it doesn't go back to MSCONFIG and check back the disabled items by group of 4 or 5. Start from the service tab and then move to the startup. This may help to find the culprit.

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thank you for the answer

About my system configuration and resources:

It is a desktop PC with 8 GB ram and I7 processor. the only special activities are Internet surfing and streaming, and files downloads via file manager (which i use already for years with ZA with no problem).

problems started after last upgrades of ZA.

I followed the instructions exactly, and tried to isolate any program that might cause a problem. i couldn't find any specific one.

According to the Resource Monitor of Window, whenever there is a bit above the average of file downloads activity, or browser usage (it does not meter by which program or browser), VSMON starts extreme CPU consumption. the moment i stop downloads or close tabs in my browsers etc. the activity of VSMON goes back to normal. The extreme changes are only to CPU usage and only by VSMON. other resources (like memory usage) stays normal and do not change.

I really don't know what to do.

Yaron

Last edited by fax; April 18th, 2014 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Quoting and space

Sky Soldiers Guest

This program shows more detail information on processes running on your system.

You could download Process Explorer v16.02

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653

Thank you

I downloaded Process Explorer v16.02, the only difference between what it shows and what the Resource Monitor of Windows shows is that the CPU usage of VSMON is even worse than what the Resource Monitor shows.

there is no other program that acts unusually, concerning downloads. actually even a use of YouTube (with no downloads in the background) creats a disturbance from time to time.

Yaron
    Last edited by fax; April 18th, 2014 at 04:27 AM. Reason: quoting and spaces

Hello;

Here is some Additional Info on Vsmon.exe

Re: "vsmon" using 40-50% of the CPU all the time

Running applications that keep a constant internet connection open will create extra cycles to be used for ZA. Your basically constantly pushing data through ZA that it has to analyze so there will be more resources used and 50% and more is not unusual with these types of applications.

Its always been this way with ZA its just how the ZA core technology works and it nothing that can be changed or fixed because its working as designed.

Best advise don't run these kinds of apps all the time.

Forum Moderator

Also this page from the ZA Knowledgebase..

ZoneAlarm is using a lot of CPU or memory resources <= click here
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Hello

As i mentioned before, this phenomena is quite recent, to my opinion since i upgraded to the "extreme" Internet suit. no problems with ZA in the past. also as i wrote, even simple use of YouTube, or Internet radio, with no download in the background is not clean and gets disturbances from time to tome, with download of about 3 mbs it just gets crazy and impossible to work.

whenever i exit ZA. the system functions very well

Yaron
    Last edited by fax; April 18th, 2014 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Spaces

I am not sure you have answered to one key question: Do you have still problem looking a youtube even by booting with only ZA and windows services? Or you have not tried? Which is the name of the downloader you use? Java based?

If you have installed the new ZA over the old have you tried to fully reset the settings? Have you tried to fully remove ZA and install clean?

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Hello

I booted as instructed gradually using Msconfig, every time adding some more programs, every time checking how the system works, using resource monitor, browsing, surfing, downloading files, using YouTube and Internet radio. everything worked well, even when all programs in Msconfig were at last on. it took few hours and things were bad as before, after one night it was almost impossible to work, you could do only one thing at a time, or download or listen to the radio or watch YouTube etc. browsing or a download together with YouTube or a radio at the same time would create a sound disturbance, actually by every Internet activity VSMON would consume unproportional amount of CPU.

My downloader is Jdownloader, it is Java program, i use it already for a few years also with ZA, and with no problems. VSMON creates problems also when Jdownloader is not active, and i only browse and listen to YouTube.

I have installed new ZA over the old ZA. the installer did the removal and installation.
    i did not try to remove and install clean. actually i did something else, I totally removed ZA from my computer, I purchased and installed ~snip~ Another software, now the system runs as smoothly as never before (even with the old ZA). ~snip~

i would like to thank to everyone that tried to help i really appreciate it.

Yaron
    Last edited by fax; April 18th, 2014 at 04:30 AM. Reason: offtopic and referenze to other commercial software - against forum rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information