Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Antivirus update keeps turning ON even if OFF --> Update to the latest ZA

Default [SOLVED] Antivirus update keeps turning ON even if OFF --> Update to the latest ZA

Hello,

I am using ZA Pro with AV and just updated one computer to the 13 version. I have set the AV update to occur every 24 hrs but I want it to stay "disabled" but it keeps "enabling" itself. I have 4 computers on a small network and I want to be able to update them when it is most convenient. During the weekend I may not use any computer so I can't have all 4 computers auto updating when I boot them up on Monday especially if I'm running late at 9:30 am (or at some random time and Murphy's Law says it will be when I really need the bandwidth). This will slow down the time critical stuff I'm doing and will likely force the modem to reboot like crazy. I do not know if this will be the case but I'm not waiting to find out.
    I have 2 licenses (x3 each) and for now I've halted the upgrade on the other computers. There are 2 more computers as backups and I don't want them to be updating as soon as they get plugged in right when I may need them the most. Thank you.

Default Re: Antivirus update check keeps forcing itself to be on from disabled

Looks like this is something I may have to send to support but I'm wondering if this is truly auto updating or just a settings bug.

Hello;

here is what is Recommended in the Knowledgebase..

(if you are running ZA Pro, we suggest you leave MailSafe on and set to scan All attachment types listed; then set your antivirus to not scan email attachments;
    BUT, set your antivirus to scan All Files On Access. This
    actually gives you the best of both worlds!)

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

George,

Thank you for the reply. My problem is not scanning but the auto updater. I have it set for 24 hrs but I want to keep it disabled unless I enable when I want to update. Right now it looks like it is turning itself on. I will keep the computer on tonight and see if it forces auto-update the virus defs even if I have explicitly disabled it. Will post results tomorrow.

AV is working as designed.

You cannot have Updates set to update themselves but have AV turned off.

It gets turned on buy default when it goes to download updates.

This is how its supposed to work and there no reason to work in the manner you want because that opens you up to security breaches and we will not do that for one user who wants this function sorry.

Forum Moderator

I don't want the AV to be disabled. I want the AV updater to stay disabled unless I'm ready to update at a time that is convenient to me. Right now the 13 version keeps reverting to enabled. The previous versions did not do this.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on what it does tonight. If it proceeds to auto-update then I'll try a clean install. Will post results later this week.
    Thank you.

If you want to see what I'm talking about the follow this:
    click on "View Details" in AntiVirus & Firewall
    click "settings" of Antivirus & Anti-spyware
    click update check "occurs daily"
    in Antivirus Update choose dropdown "disabled"
    click "ok"

so now "Update check" shows "is not scheduled"

close the ZoneAlarm window
    click on ZoneAlarm icon to bring up the ZA window
    click on "View Details" in AntiVirus & Firewall
    click on "settings" of Antivirus & Anti-spyware
    "update check" shows "occurs daily" <------ despite being turned off

If your result is not the same as mine then I may need to do a full fresh install versus an upgrade. Maybe something is stuck. It happens.

Why not try to disable the AV updates from the Scheduled Tasks list????

Forum Moderator

You got me excited so I went to take a look. Didn't know I got just go there straight like that so thanks.

Anyway, that is exactly the page. 3rd item down Antivirus Update will not stay "disabled" in the 13.0.208.000 version.

Choose disabled. click ok. then close the main window.
    bring back the main window, go to scheduled tasks, and the antivirus update is again "enabled"

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCat View Post
    You got me excited so I went to take a look. Didn't know I got just go there straight like that so thanks.

Anyway, that is exactly the page. 3rd item down Antivirus Update will not stay "disabled" in the 13.0.208.000 version.

Choose disabled. click ok. then close the main window.
    bring back the main window, go to scheduled tasks, and the antivirus update is again "enabled"
    Try the above method again..

ONLY, this time after disabling, clicking OK and closing the main ZA window..

Shut down Zone alarm, or Reboot computer..
    then check on the task schedule?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

No go on both above.
    Clean install was also no go

I have 2 ideas what might be causing it. One or the other will be right. Will upgrade another pc tonight or tomorrow. Will have an answer then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information