Thread: [Solved] Threat Emulation not scanning EXE files

Default [Solved] Threat Emulation not scanning EXE files

Hello,

I have the latest version of ZA Extreme Security. For the past week or so I have noted my downloads are not triggering Threat Emulation. Furthermore, when i go to my download files and right click on them the Threat Emulation choice under ZoneAlarm is grayed out.

I checked my settings and I have it 'ON' but what happened? Is there a way to repair my ZA installation or do I need to remove and re-install to get it working again?

While on this subject I have noted that when Threat Emulation was working that my Adobe would always lock up and not allow me to review the full report. What's up with that?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; May 1st, 2014 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Updated title to be accurate.

Default Re: [Solved] Threat Emulation not scanning EXE files

Best to contact the official ZA technical support at the link in my signature as we are all users here.

To double check Threat emulation works correctly right click on any word document (.doc) and see if it is still greyed out. Exe scanning may have been disabled at source.

For the hanging adobe, try to open the PDF manually. The file should be somewhere in your HD.

Please let us know if you get any useful response from support, it may help other users here looking for the same problem.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; May 1st, 2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: updated title to be accurate

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I tried to check a .doc file and it works on those. So now I am not able to scan .exe files. Looks like Tech Support.

Where exactly are the T.E. pdf files stored on my harddrive? Is there a specific directory created under Zonealarm?

Thanks for your quick response!
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; May 1st, 2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: updated title to be accurate

Sky Soldiers Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz2014 View Post
    Where exactly are the T.E. pdf files stored on my harddrive? Is there a specific directory created under Zonealarm?

Thanks for your quick response!
    When does Threat Emulation prompt me to analyze a file?

By default, Threat Emulation monitors your PCs download folders (folders used by browsers for download). Any new or changed file of a supported file type (such as PDF or Microsoft Office document) that appears in monitored folders will initiate a Threat Emulation prompt to analyze it.

Use Threat Emulation's settings page to control which folders are monitored. You can also right-click a file in Windows Explorer (in any folder) to initiation a Threat Emulation analysis.

ZoneAlarm Threat Emulation - Frequently Asked Questions:

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...prettyPhoto/1/
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; May 1st, 2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Replace broken link, reword / updated title

Well now wasn't that fun dealing with Checkpoint / Zonealarm Tech Support. NOT!

The two reps I spoke with there gave me the following suggestions:
    1) Reset to default and re-boot. - didn't work
    2) Remove Windows Essentials (Tech thinks this is conflicting with T.E.) - did nothing to help

The 2nd Tech Support rep who I will leave un-named was RUDE and a DICTATOR. I have actually never been threatened by a Customer Service/Tech Support rep online for any product before tonight.

I did mention that T.E. works just fine and dandy with .DOC files. But will not trigger after a download or allow me to use when going straight to the source .EXE file on my hard-drive. The rep seemed to gloss right over that. Um, I gave the problem and it was ignored.

I wound up telling the Tech Support Rep #2 I was going to remove / re-install and to have a nice night. (thanks for wasting both our time) This didn't fix the problem. Files I have downloaded still show T.E. gray when I right click and click on Zonealarm options.

I am chalking this up to a bug / glitch with the program itself. No straight answer as to why it works for .DOC files and not .EXE???

So now I get to have some real fun and get a Supervisor on the horn. Tell them how badly I was treated. I did pay for this product. Maybe I'll get elevated to a Tech who knows their nose from their belly button. :-)

Take it easy. I will post something here if I get a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Best to contact the official ZA technical support at the link in my signature as we are all users here.

To double check Threat emulation works correctly right click on any word document (.doc) and see if it is still greyed out. Exe scanning may have been disabled at source.

For the hanging adobe, try to open the PDF manually. The file should be somewhere in your HD.

Please let us know if you get any useful response from support, it may help other users here looking for the same problem.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; May 1st, 2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: updated title

Sorry one post needed to go as it contained comments on how support answers rather than sticking to the issue. Simply offtopic for this board.

In essence Threat Emulation is not scanning exe files for the moment. Not clear if a temporary or permanener situation.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; May 1st, 2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: updated title

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Threat Emulation does not support EXE files.

Its not documented anywhere that it does,

Just DOC, Excel, Power Point and PDF.

Firefox bug with Threat Emulation.
    Threat Emulation does not Automatically scan when a supported file is downloaded through Firefox. This is a known bug and Mozilla has confirmed they have to fix it and not ZA.
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; May 1st, 2014 at 09:12 AM.
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Hello,

Actually there was support for .EXE files for a time. It fired up 3 or 4 different times after downloading files in Firefox.

It is correct that documentation does not mention support for .EXE files. Wonder if an update was sent out in error to allow for it breifly and then taken away?

Thank you for all the responses.
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; May 1st, 2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: updated ttle

It was NEVER officially supported.

Even it it was working and may not be now. Its not supported and no support is going to be given to get it working with EXE files at this time.

Possibly at a later time they might introduce support for EXE files but not until its been officially announced as a documented feature.

Since thats the official conclusion to this I will close the thread.

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; May 1st, 2014 at 09:16 AM.
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information